Chinavasion Rage GPS

Review your kit.

Chinavasion Rage GPS

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 02 May 2014, 15:34

Uncle Phil has been very positive about these units.
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholes ... Bluetooth/

It *does* look very good value for money. However it comes w/o any maps or software. So, not for the faint-hearted.

Phil would you mind to elaborate a bit about how you use it? Is it at all possible to download e.g. a route for Garmin GPC and convert it for use in this unit? If so, how?
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Re: Chinavasion Rage GPS

Postby Uncle Phil » 02 May 2014, 21:02

Pieter - No problem at all. These are the 'replacement' for the Peaklife GPS (ZUMO550 knockoff) that I had great success with. This is a ZUMO660 knockoff (same screen size) that I am currently using on the ST1100s. I moved the Peaklife GPSs to my automobiles (they still work fine). These units come with no GPS software so you have to deal with that, which is really not that big of a deal. I bought IGO8 from a USA link and use the one copy on all of my units, which really makes it more cost effective. Since I am the only user, I have no trouble with doing that. (I bought 4 Rage units when they were on sale for $108 + shipping so without repurchasing the software, it was really a great deal). The software that I bought comes on a microSD card of the size of your choosing (I think the unit only supports 16GB, IIRC) with good install instructions. Install is difficult :D - insert card in to the sd slot and power the unit on. Press the SETTINGS icon, then press the 'apppath' selection to set the application path for the GPS software. Back to the main menu, select the NAVIGATION icon then wait for IGO to come up. A few other little things to do, but that's about it. At the Mansfield, OH RTE I hold every year, I set one up for a friend in the parking lot in a few minutes. The cradle comes with two power options - cigar plug and hardwired. The mounting options suck, but the ball mount on the cradle can easily be replaced with a 4 bolt Ram ball for about $6 USD then all of the RAM mount options work. (The bolt pattern is the same). For routes, the unit expects KML files (Google Maps) dropped into a certain folder. (BTW, the USB cable that plugs into the unit has a little bit longer 'snout' on it.) When the unit is plugged into a computer, it appears as 2 disk drives - you want the one that IGO8 appears on. You can drag and drop the routes right onto the card with regular Windows Explorer. Since Garmin uses .gdb or .gpx files, you would need something like GPSBabel (Freeware) to convert the routes to KML. I wrote a VB app that invokes GPSBabel and copies the files to the GPS just to save steps - not necessary but nice to click a folder and convert all the files and download them with one click. I use M&S Streets & Trips (our version of AutoRoute) to do my planning since I really don't like Mapsource or BaseCamp. I did use Mapsource for my recent New Zealand trip to do the routes. Biggest issue so far is that the screen backlighting is a little weak - about like the ST1300 dash. When the sun is directly behind you, it tends to wash out. I bought some cheap plastic homework folders, cut some shades, added a little velcro to them and the cradle and that helped a lot. The power button is a little small for big hands like mine, but you can set the autopower on and it will automatically bring up the unit when it detects power and shut it down (it asks first) when the power goes away. Do not order from Fleabay, etc. but directly from Chinavasion - which happens to have all sorts of electronic goodies like a $40 video camera that I used on my Alaska and New Zealand trips. ;-) Software maybe a different issue in your part of the world which could drive the price up. The units also have music players, ereaders, video watchers built into the units (Win 6 CE) but I've not used that stuff. They come with a Bluetooth audio and a headset jack so you can go either way. My comm system is hardwired, so I bought a Bluetooth music receiver powered by a USB connection, a cigar/USB adapter (all for about $12 from Chinavasion) and just Bluetooth to the receiver and run the minijack from the receiver into my comm system (one less wire to run from the unit). For me in the States, for what a ZUMO flavor of the month costs, I can buy 3-5 of these units, then when the ZUMO delaminates and you send it back to Garmin and pay $200, I can buy another one of these units. They come with a 12 month warranty but I don't know how and if they stand behind their warranty. They are definitely waterproof, as some of my units have been in the rain all day long without an issue. And the screen works very well with gloves (including my Gerbing T5 heated gloves). It's just another option those folks who are tired of paying for the expensive Garmin ZUMO koolaid and really just want a waterproof, motorcycle GPS. IIRC, IGO8 software is the GPS software used in most automotive GPS systems, so it is pretty full function. I've been told you can find it 'free' on the Internet, but I guess is it would come with lots of malware/virus loads built into it. Did I miss anything?
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 03 May 2014, 07:37

Thanks Phil. Interesting. When searching for it I only found illegal versions of iGO 8 though. The company's site doesn't mention it, only the primo app which I understand is for iOS. Where did you find the legal version?
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 03 May 2014, 08:50

UP,
you forgot to attach your manual... ;)
Attachments
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SETTING THE GPS SOFTWARE PATH FOR THE CHINAVASION RAGE GPS.pdf
(435.33 KiB) Downloaded 6706 times
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Uncle Phil » 04 May 2014, 01:57

Pieter - Here's the options I think as posted from someone who recently got the software -

Thanks one and all for the information and advice. I did email Uncle Phil's favourite provider of mapping software using the address provided above (thanks, v8-7!) and here's his reply:

Hi,Thank you for contacting me.
I have been having problems with the eCrater checkout system.
You may purchase it from Bonanza here meanwhile: http://www.bonanza.com/booths/jacktray
Thanks!

PS: Unfortunately the 16GB cards are out of stock. Available are the 4GB, 8GB, and 32GB cards at that link.

In the interim I checked out other website (GPSMapStore.com) listed above and was intrigued by the lower price. But I'm not sure the product is the same. If there is any doubt I'll likely go with UP's provider because I'll blindly follow UP's advice / manual as I'm not the most technically inclined guy.

The differences I noticed were:

1.Price - GPSMapStore is $37.50 and free shipping. UP's guy is $49.99 + $1.99 shipping on the website that you can't order from, and $49.99 + $2.99 shipping on the website you can order from.
2.Product
1.GPSMapStore
1.NA 2013 Latest iGo 3D 2D GPS map software
2.Coverage - Canada, US, and Mexico.
3.Announced date is May 2013.
4.iGo 9.
5.Version - iGO Primo 2.4 (9.6.13.267029).
6.Map Data - 2013 Q1.

2.Bonanza
1.iGO8
2.Coverage - Canada, US, and Mexico.
3.iGo8
4.Version - 8.3.5.231128
5.Map Data - 2013 Q2.

BTW, there is a review here -

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthr ... highlight=

He thinks the backlight is too weak to be usable, but it has not been that big of an issue for me.
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Model: ST1100
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 04 May 2014, 12:49

Thanks again Phil. If you have a moment could you post a photo of one of your satnavs, as mounted and with your home made shades attached? That would be very helpful for those of us who are contemplating the purchase of such a unit.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 04 May 2014, 13:09

Those satnavs also circulate around here, so I do monitor the entries on GPS forums.

There seem to be a minor glitch with Chinavision & iGO on it, occurring when one wants to start somewhere along/in the middle of a route, as the software does not 'ignore' the set starting point, thus insists to route one back there...
Apparently an issue if you stop and restart the navigation at/during a lunch brake or such...
Dunno if UP can confirm or deny that, as the US road layout, thus routing, riding and usage-profiles differ from European conditions...

But with that "flaw" Range/iGO are in good company, also the first firmware versions of Garmin's Zumo 3*0 series suffered it ;)

PS: I also have an iGO OM avail as *.pdf if there is a demand.
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby alans1100 » 04 May 2014, 14:23

[quote="mbrST1100"]
There seem to be a minor glitch with Chinavision & iGO on it, occurring when one wants to start somewhere along/in the middle of a route, as the software does not 'ignore' the set starting point, thus insists to route one back there...

But with that "flaw" Range/iGO are in good company, also the first firmware versions of Garmin's Zumo 3*0 series suffered it ;)

quote];

That's also the normal thing for any way point you set. If for one reason or another you do not proceed to that point then a GPS will direct you to that point until you get there or you skip the way point. All GPS units I've had have had in the past have had "skip next waypoint" (or words to that effect) accessible from the main screen.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 04 May 2014, 14:59

I'm no expert Alan but neither my 2610 nor 660 behave like that. Ik you enter a route in the middle, or if you skip a waypoint, the device recognises you're (back) on the route and continues from there automatically.

There. I said something friendly about Garmin software. ;)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 04 May 2014, 15:00

mbrST1100 wrote:PS: I also have an iGO OM avail as *.pdf if there is a demand.

I guess we could place it here in our library along with Phil's tips?
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Review