A curious thing

Honda Pan-European 1st generation (German design)

Re: A curious thing

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Sep 2017, 17:10

Did you at least speak sexy Scottish to the ST? :mrgreen:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby 48v » 16 Sep 2017, 18:20

I ALWAYS do that.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby David W » 16 Sep 2017, 20:57

48v wrote:... put the bike on its side stand ... not realizing the ridiculous camber of the road; I stepped away from the bike and it went over smashing the mirror pod and the mirror assembly. I eventually got the tyre inflated enough to get it home but I think I might have damaged the wheel.... Does anyone want to buy the bits of a motorbike!!

So you had the bike in gear when you parked it on its side stand?

At least you got her home, where someone can work on her.

There is no doubt someone around who would buy it. (I am not close enough.)
But what motorbike will you replace it with?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows of a source for a replacement swing arm for a standard ST1100, or for a plain Pan?
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby 48v » 16 Sep 2017, 21:30

Nope, not in gear, in neutral but running to keep the lights on. The road was pitch dark and even though I’ve been in it literally thousands of times I’d never been aware of the camber, it’s really quite steep from left to right across both lanes. It was obviously only just balanced and tipped as I walked back to it. The mirror pod can be repaired, sadly not the mirror which is utterly shattered.

I’ve got the back wheel off and it’ll be repaired on Monday. The swinging arm will be done next week, so all things being equal I should be back in it for the end of the week or early the week after.

I’m not really going to sell it but if I were I’m still tempted to buy a ST1300.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby David W » 16 Sep 2017, 22:51

48v wrote:Nope, not in gear, in neutral but running to keep the lights on.... It was obviously only just balanced and tipped as I walked back to it. The mirror pod can be repaired, sadly not the mirror which is utterly shattered....

I think there may be such a thing as an aftermarket parking brake for an 1100 Pan.

Does anyone know the currently best way to replace a broken mirror glass in Europe?
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby 48v » 16 Sep 2017, 23:24

Normally it’s to give £60 to David Silver Spares.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 23 Sep 2017, 13:54

Pieter Huizinga wrote:David, I've experienced similar 'strange behaviour' of the rear. I thought I had a flat. Except I hadn't.
A lot of this apparently happens between your ears. :mrgreen:

I agree...
With the old, original rear shock and two up with luggage, I had similar weird feelings in the stomach when hitting a slight bump or groove in a fast turn...
The weird flex in the rear end triggeres thoughts about blown tire, or some essential bolts comming loose... ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby 48v » 24 Sep 2017, 19:51

Last week did improve...the puncture was repairable. I got the bike back to the mechanics and the swinging arm was welded and a new MoT issued.

I’m still feeling a bit twitchy and over sensitive to the rear wheel doing anything but rolling in a straight line. It does feel like it’s going to step out and pulls slightly when I break, but I’m absolutely prepared to accept that it’s just me being foolish. I’ve tried making gradually more enthusiastic braking (on clear empty straight roads) and there is no pull.

How I get on with wet roads might be a different matter but confidence is ok(ish).

Thanks again gentlemen.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Previous

Return to ST1100