A curious thing

Honda Pan-European 1st generation (German design)

A curious thing

Postby 48v » 13 Sep 2017, 23:33

I had a bit of a moment last week on a road out of London, I braked lightly front and rear on admittedly a very wet road and they had very little effect. Now I suppose I could have aquaplaned slightly, or locked up a bit (but I doubt it), or it hit a very wet bit of road paint....any way I look at it I was extremely fortunate to only glance off a van and knock my mirror pod off....yes, that close at 25 mph.

The weird thing is that I now feel that the back end is almost loose it’s so light, when I brake (my bike doesn’t have linked brakes, ABS or TCS) it feels so light as if I’m about to lose the back completely even on pretty dry roads.

I’m not sure if it’s an actual issue or whether I’ve lost a bit of confidence. I know my front pads are pretty much due for a change and that will happen on Friday or Saturday.....could dodgy fronts be contributing to a lighter rear brake? I don’t think I’m locking the rear to compensate...but it’s always possible.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I’m usually absolutely confident on the bike but this is very odd.

Any thoughts?
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Re: A curious thing

Postby Uncle Phil » 14 Sep 2017, 00:50

ST1100 standards as opposed to the ABS models are very easy to lock to rear brake (I have both models). You've probably done it, but I would also check the status of the rear tire and the rear pads and see if the rear axle nut and pinch nut is set as it should be.
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby mbrST1100 » 14 Sep 2017, 13:33

What UP said...
You might also check if the rear caliper is about to bind (thus rebuild the thing), praktice (like learn to bend your toes while braking to loose up) or simply adjust the brake lever (pedal in this case) to a more conveniant position (not too much, or you'll loose ground clearance)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby David W » 14 Sep 2017, 17:51

Something easy to try is to put her into neutral gear; then up onto her centrestand; then see how easily her rear wheel turns by manually pushing on her rear tyre.

Then apply her brake pedal carefully but firmly.

Then repeat; and post here.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby 48v » 14 Sep 2017, 18:11

Thank you gentlemen, I shall investigate and post findings as soon as I can.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 14 Sep 2017, 20:46

David, I've experienced similar 'strange behaviour' of the rear. I thought I had a flat. Except I hadn't.
A lot of this apparently happens between your ears. :mrgreen:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby 48v » 14 Sep 2017, 21:32

It’s quite an uncomfortable feeling, I have had complete confidence in my bike for years. This feels as though the back end lifts when I brake. Just odd.

It has an mot tomorrow and I’ll get their mechanic to take it out for a run to confirm one way or another.
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby David W » 15 Sep 2017, 01:52

David, if you live where I think you live, it is possible that your swing arm has rusted and become weakened.

(I don't live there; I've just heard from our islander members that it can happen, given enough rain and humidity and time.)

48v wrote:I had a bit of a moment last week on a road out of London ... any way I look at it, I was extremely fortunate to only glance off a van and knock my mirror pod off ... yes, that close at 25 mph....

David, if you think it caused you to collide with, and glance off of a van at 40 km per hour in London traffic, then I agree that you might do well to take this problem very seriously.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby John OoSTerhuis » 15 Sep 2017, 17:22

Just an additional thought to add to the mix -

A failing/degraded anti-dive unit may result in a more forward weight shift, thereby decreasing the effectiveness of the rear brake. BTDT (piece of the piston seal found in the bottom of the fork slider during a fork seals and bushings R&R)

FWIW YMMV

John
John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
1991 Honda ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic (@188K)
Bettendorf, Iowa
John OoSTerhuis
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: John Oosterhuis
Model: ST1100
Year: 1991
Colour: Sparkling Silver Met

Postby 48v » 15 Sep 2017, 22:34

Wow John, great diagnostic...I spoke to my mechanic when he was doing the MoT and he pointed out the same thing and said that while there was nothing specific wrong, it could be that.

Ok the day went thus, MoT failed in a rusted and holed swinging arm. So that’s great!

On the way home this evening I picked up an puncture in the rear, put the bike on its side stand...not realising the ridiculous camber if the road, I stepped away from the bike and it went over smashing the mirror pod and the mirror assembly. I eventually got the tyre inflated enough to get it home but I think I might have damaged the wheel.

I have decided the gods of motorcycling hate me, but not quite as much as I hate them today.

Still, at least it wasn’t raining. Does anyone want to buy the bits of a motorbike!!
48v
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Next

Return to ST1100