A Listing of the NUMBERS from the Launch of the Line

Honda Pan-European 1st generation (German design)

A Listing of the NUMBERS from the Launch of the Line

Postby David W » 20 Jun 2016, 02:50

We can use this thread to record, for reference purposes, the numbers that describe the launch of the Pan/ST1100 Line of motorcycles. Some of those numbers are: How many launch bikes did Honda build? How many models were involved in the launch? How many markets imported launch bikes?

A. Markets and Models:

15 markets worldwide imported launch bikes. (More than fifteen countries imported them using those 15 markets.)
11 of those markets were European.
10 of those eleven European markets received their own version of a common, or shared model. Those ten markets were all non-Spanish, so we can call that common/shared model the non-Spanish Pan launch model.
Spain received her own launch model. How many markets received their own launch model?

3 markets received their own launch model. They are: the Australian Continent, Spain, and Canada.
So far, we have accounted for thirteen of the fifteen markets. Were the other two markets both USA? Yes, ...

2 American markets imported launch bikes. One was the California market; the other was the non-California, or 49-state market.

B. Models, and Versions of Models:

6 models were involved in the launch. (We will mention those six models below, on six lines numbered 1 through 6. But first, how many of those six were complete models, as opposed to mere versions, or portions of a model?
4 launch models were complete models; they are: the non-Spanish Pan L model, the Australian ST1100L model, the Spanish Pan L model, and the 1990 Canadian ST1100L model. (Below, we list those four on four lines numbered 1 through 4.)
2 of the six models involved in the launch supplied a mere version, or portion, of the model. The California market received the early version of the 1991 ST1100LM USA model, and the 49-state market imported the early version of the 1991 ST1100M USA model. (Below, we list those two early versions on two lines numbered 5 and 6. The letter L just used here in the term ST1100LM is not a year code, but the letter M is.)

So the totality of the launch bikes can be listed on the following six lines, which are numbered 1 through 6, or one line for each of the models involved in the launch:

1. The ST1100L non-Spanish plain Pan L model,
2. The Australian standard ST1100L model,
3. The ST1100L Spanish plain Pan L model,
4. The 1990 Canadian standard ST1100L model,
5. The early version of the 1991 California standard ST1100LM USA model, and
6. The early version of the 49-state, 1991 standard ST1100M USA model.

C. Model Years and Vintage:

2 Honda model years were involved in the launch: both year 1990 (code L) and 1991 (code M). All 1990 or L models are/were launch bikes. But only a minor portion of 1991/M models are/were launch. The launch bikes that Honda branded as 1991 were all USA and are only the first-built portions of the two 1991 USA ST models involved in the launch.

1 and only one vintage of Pans and STs was involved in the launch. In terms of parts lists, all launch Pans and STs (should) share the same, single parts list, except for national differences, which can be indicated on that single parts list using the 15 country codes, or market codes, that we have listed elsewhere.

D. Bike Counts (in the order listed above on lines numbered 1 through 6, with a total to follow those six counts):

5840 non-Spanish launch Pans were built in ten versions, to serve ten European markets. (The only one of those ten versions for which we have an individual bike count on is Norway: 15 Norwegian launch Pans were built.)

155 Australian launch ST1100s were built for Australia and New Zealand combined.
600 Spanish launch Pans were built.
200 Canadian launch ST1100s were built.

241 USA California launch ST1100s were built (and could theoretically be sold anywhere in the US).
1267 USA 49-state launch ST1100s were built (and could not be sold new in the US state of California).

8303 total launch bikes were built. (And on a separate page attached, we list all 8303 of their frame numbers.)

(1508, or 241 plus 1267, of those launch bikes were 1991 USA, whereas the total for the USA 1991 model year was about a thousand STs greater, or some 2514 STs.)

E. Frame and Engine Numbers of Launch Bikes:

For all of the 8303 launch frame numbers, and for most of the launch engine numbers, please see the attached ".pdf" document, which is one page long.
Frame Numbers, plus Engine Numbers if Available.pdf
(216.68 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
For the best viewing of that single page, that page should be displayed wider than it is tall.

F. Other Numbers (not covered here):

What are the frame and engine numbers of each member owned launch bike? (One or both can be supplied by a member, if desired. Thanks to those members who have already done so.)

(Also, we have not included any dates here because a chronology of the launch can be the topic of a separate thread.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Red Line--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here, past the Red Line, one will find only details on what is before the Red Line.

In part A, Markets and Models, we used the term market, which is discussed in the nearby thread called We Briefly Surf our Terms for Turf (which is also somewhere in the ST-Owners ST1100 Tech forum).
We also used the term non-Spanish Pan model, which is used in the nearby thread The First Two Pairs of Pan Models and in the more general, earlier, nearby thread Earlier Pans: Models were built paired; and one was shared, where the terms model and version of a model are also explained.

In part B, Models and Versions of Models, the four models listed on Lines 1 through 4 are all L models, and those L models are the main topic in the nearby thread Some hiSTory: L models Led the Launch of Line in most Lands. The two USA models listed on Lines 5 and 6 are mentioned in the nearby thread They Launched the Line in '89 and are discussed in detail in the ST-Owners ST1100 Tech thread called Silver Anniversary: None of the earlieST North American ST1100s were Silver, which also talks of the 1990 Canadian ST model listed above on Line 4.
The terms standard and plain used on the above lines 1 through 6 both mean "non-ABS and non-Police" and are discussed in the nearby thread Top-down Talking: The Time is Ripe for Talk of “Type”, which is also somewhere in the ST-Owners ST1100 Tech forum.

In part C, Model Years and Vintage, we used the terms Honda model year and year code which are discussed in the nearby thread Various Versions of our Vocabulary of Vintage. We also used the term country code, which is discussed in the nearby thread We Briefly Surf our Terms for Turf, which is also somewhere in the ST-Owners ST1100 Tech forum.
In parts D and E, Bike Counts, Frame and Engine Numbers, we we talked of bike counts which can be found in the nearby thread They Launched the Line in '89; and in the earlier, nearby thread Some hiSTory: L models Led the Launch of Line in most Lands; and in the later, ST-Owners thread Silver Anniversary: None of the earlieST North American ST1100s were silver. (That first thread, They Launched the Line in '89, made heavy use of engine numbers.)
And here is the ST-Owners link for the Silver Anniversary thread mentioned: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthr ... ere-silver if you can view it. (I can view it if I log on to that site after I get a message saying, "Invalid Thread".)
Finally, another attempt to display the numbers from the Launch is the attached "Word" document below, which is labeled Frame Numbers plus Engine Numbers if Available.docx. That document should display with main lines running across the page. The page is in "landscape" format. It is exactly the same as the attached .pdf file shown above in this post. I cannot guarantee you will be able to view that Word document. Word is a text-processing, software product from Microsoft Corp. But in order to view the attached Word document, I personally first "open" it. If necessary, I specify it as a "Word document". If it then does not display as a single, simple, standard page, with only one "column" of text, I then go to the upper left corner of my computer screen; I click on "VIEW"; then I click on "Layout"; then I click on "Paper Layout". Please post here if you cannot get enough of these illustrations to display.
Attachments
Frame Numbers plus Engine Numbers if Available.docx
(13.46 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Frame Numbers, plus Engine Numbers if Available.docx
(13.12 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Return to ST1100