Clutch woes

Honda Pan-European 1st generation (German design)

Clutch woes

Postby Carnage64 » 17 Dec 2014, 04:22

Ok my good buddies, been absent for a bit what with work and other things but i now have a bit if an issue.

occasionally ( and i mean occasionally ) when pulling away as i release the clutch it seems to snatch and launch the bike forward much faster than i intended, a quick reset and it sorts itself, ...any ideas.....also im finding that im getting some clutch slip .....normally when changing from 4th to 5th and accelerating hard or at the top end of 5th....again ...any clues?

engine oil is Halfrauds best 10/40 motorbike oil whihc is part synthetic, new braided clutch line is to be fitted soon, clutch fluid was changed out pretty much when i bought the bike for dot4 as the stuff in there ressembled treacle.

your views will be greatly appreciated
Rust is lighter than carbon Fibre
Carnage64
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Peter Elias
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 1999
Colour: Blue

Re: Clutch woes

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Dec 2014, 16:59

Not easy to pinpoint that remotely...
- overhaul of master- and server-cylinder (I'd focus on the later, but do both while at it anyway...)
- the push-rod actuating the release worn down (steel shaft behind the slave cylinder)
- edges in clutch basked/hub rippled (so lining carrier and/or friction plates won't move freely)
- linings worn down (that it slips in 4th and 5th would be a clue!), heat causing friction plates to warp/change surface properties (you'd find them badly discoloured/annealed)
- clutch linings saturated with the previously used oil, which does not work too well with your current/different juice... (not a myth! Such can cause a gel/film on the linings leading to quite odd behaviour...)
further:
- hub dampers (rear wheel)
- drive splines
- final drive
- safety couplings in prop- or mains-shaft
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: Clutch woes

Postby WJBertrand » 17 Dec 2014, 17:47

How many miles on your bike?
-Jeff-
STOC 025