ST1100 Final Drive Repair

Honda Pan-European 1st generation (German design)

Re: Final Drive Repair

Postby alans1100 » 12 Dec 2013, 03:09

Ian Robinson wrote:Be very careful trying to extract the speed sensor ... from my expereince the aluminium horn easily breaks off. :(
I have transferrred the back plate from one hub to another it whines a bit on over run but has done 5000 miles no problem, apparenlty the back plate and hub are shimmed up at manufacture so that the crown gear meshes well.

I'm concerned that I might round out one of the hex bolts as they've been there since new.

As you can see from the pictures from my post there doesn't appear to be any shims between the plate and the ring gear but there is a shim on the pinion side.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby alans1100 » 12 Dec 2013, 03:19

With the weather warming up I decided it was time to have a look at making a start on this fix up.

The used drive unit from the US need a bit of clean-up so it was out with the degreaser to do that yesterday. While I was at it I got the moly paste out and put some on the splines of the new flange drive and sat that in place overnight.

This morning it was time to get the cover off and attack it with a spanner or two.

First up is to remove the dust cover and there's one little bolt for that. See plastic tab at rear of drive.

Then there's eight bolts that hold the cover on. Six were fairly easier but the two at the pinion end needed a little extra leverage/force. Nothing like an extra meter of pipe on the end of socket wrench to apply a bit more leverage is there?

The cover needs to levered out of the housing with a screw driver and there are two locations provided for you to do that. What they don't tell in the manual is that when you lift the cover it will rotate as the cover and the ring come out together.

The cover is off and it's obvious I need to clean this up a little before I put it back together.

The ring gear and cover need to be separated but this is how it comes out.

A side view (sort of) ring gear as it came out.

It is suggested in the manual that should the ring gear and cover come out together then press the gear out of the cover. With what and how I guess is left to your imagination. The wording suggests that usually the gear will stay in place as the cover is removed but I think they got it wrong. As with removing the cover from the housing I used a screw drive to gently lever the gear out of the cover.

The ring gear sitting back in the housing with the cover off.

This is the cover which is going to be replaced with the one that is on my bike.

That's all I can do for now. Next up is to remove the final drive unit from the bike but before I do that I need to get some sealant, a new oil seal, and some diff oil. I had a partly used bottle of oil somewhere but I can't find it anywhere. Quite possible it's been tossed or it will be found after I buy some more.

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Ian Robinson » 12 Dec 2013, 13:00

I had no problem extracting the bolts. The problem is the sensor "welds" itself to the aluminium of the hub cover - due to lots of salt and water over here in UK. If you try and even gently knock it out with rubber and wood - like I did - the hub horn can snap off.
Ian Robinson
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby alans1100 » 12 Dec 2013, 14:29

Ian Robinson wrote: due to lots of salt and water over here in UK.

I think that over in Australia that might happen in if you live in a coastal environment but for most of us it's non issue.

The sensor has to come off before I can remove the drive so I'm hoping it goes ok.

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby zebedeee » 12 Dec 2013, 15:19

Loving the write up and clear pictures, keep it coming as you never know when this will be of use to other owners....Image
David Whitley - 2001 ST1100AY - 106000miles
https://sites.google.com/site/wildwesttour2009/
zebedeee

Full name: David Whitley
Model: ST1100
Year: 2001
Colour: Wineberry

Postby Ian Robinson » 12 Dec 2013, 20:58

You dont have to Alan, if a problem simply unthread the wire from the swinging arm up to the connectors on the right hand side. The you can remove/attach the hub with sensor in situ.
Ian Robinson
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby Forest 1100 » 13 Dec 2013, 09:20

Alan, From what I gather, you are only swapping out the ring gear and not the pinion gear assembly also. Just a suggestion, but, with two unmatched gears that will have had different wear characteristics, you might be wise to use a synthetic gear oil in the case.
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby Ian Robinson » 13 Dec 2013, 10:31

Thats interesting Forest, why do you suggest synthetic - better lubrication or other advantages as well?
Ian Robinson
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 13 Dec 2013, 12:04

Aaargh. An oil thread! ;)

:direction:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 13 Dec 2013, 14:19

Forest 1100 wrote:Alan, From what I gather, you are only swapping out the ring gear and not the pinion gear assembly also. Just a suggestion, but, with two unmatched gears that will have had different wear characteristics, you might be wise to use a synthetic gear oil in the case.

No, I'm only swapping out the gear case cover......see last picture. I need to replace this one with the one that's on my bike as the drive unit in the pictures is off of an 1100 and I have an 1100A. The A model has the ABS/TCS sensor mount integrated into the gear case cover otherwise the rest of the drive unit is identical.

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to ST1100