New to bikes rider; advice please

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

New to bikes rider; advice please

Postby StickyMicky » 18 Mar 2013, 18:06

A friend of mine in the RAF is wanting to get onto two wheels but is a little confused about the options and constraints he faces (and I can't blame him).

He's 20yo coming up 21 so cannot now follow the direct access route he had in mind.

Talking with him t'other day it would seem he is better to go for something lightly used, robust & midsized that can be officially choked down to the appropriate bhp limit. This would allow him to not only learn reasonably safely but to be able to switch up when allowed without having to learn a new bike. He seems to like this idea.

I've also advised him he should think in terms of spending nearly as much on his protective gear as he will on a first bike. That equation my need to be rebalanced now the likes of Lidl & Aldi are offering safe kit for less money. Don't know his overall budget expectations as yet but I'm thinking of £1,500 to £2,000.

He's based in Scotland (RAF Leuchars but being reposted in May) and is looking for something to enjoy wandering around Scots roads, probably on day rides to start with. He has no pillion to plan for ATM.

He's pretty sensible for his age and is keen to go for RoSPA or IAM advanced as soon as he can.

Suggestions on suitable bikes, good but affordable kit etc. gladly received.

Regards, Mike
STOC 898
2001 ST1100AY; 1993 Trident T900; 1998 XT225; 1921 ABC 400; 1926 Scott 600
StickyMicky
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Mike Maughan
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100AY
Year: 2001
Colour: red

Re: New to bikes rider; advice please

Postby pete young » 18 Mar 2013, 19:15

Consider a 600cc Honda Hornet, you can get a half faired model and then get the restrictor kit which is just 4 very big washers with holes drilled in them. Fitting is easy and when you have said "HOW MUCH" to Mr Honda send me an email because I have a set in a jar in my garage going cheap.
My wife had a Hornet for ages after first passing her test and she was gutted when she had to sell it but she is very happy now that she is moving towards recovery from her accident and has found a new VN900 Vulcan...no more tears.
pete young
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby Andi Archer » 18 Mar 2013, 19:22

Hi Mike
Well the limits for new bike riders are shortly due to change if they havent already.Im sure we have a thread on it ........ yes here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=359

In the article it mentions using an older 650 singlse like Hondas FMX650 or the Suzuki SV650 which falls within the 49BHP limits,the later is a great V twin bike Ive had one myself.
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby mbrST1100 » 18 Mar 2013, 20:39

Despite getting like a 500 ~ 600cc 'beginner's' bike (its also a cost factor, maybe he won't get bitten by the virus and quits riding after 1 season...) I'd also recommend attending an advanced riding training...
Having better skills and knowledge about riding is not only a safety advantage, it also increases the joy of riding... MHO (attending a warm-up training almost every spring... even after 20 years riding totally worth it)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 18 Mar 2013, 22:00

I rented different bikes for a weekend each, before deciding which one was for me. Then I started to look for that bike in the second hand market. Took me two weeks to find one. Lots and lots of bikes for sale.

I can recommend that approach.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: The late Pieter
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby BURNOUT1 » 18 Mar 2013, 23:28

Also might want to suggest some sort of motorcycle riding safety course.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
BURNOUT1
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby flookyk1100 » 19 Mar 2013, 09:12

Hi Mike and welcome to the madhou .......sorry, forum. ;)

I presume, at 21, your friend will be doing the new A2 license then move up to full A after 2 years.

There are quite a few mid range bikes to look at, and it all depends on what type of bike or riding your mate likes, sporty, touring, off-road stye,etc.
The only thing about restricting a bike to the 47bhp allowed on the A2 is it has to of been under 94bhp to start with and a certain power to weight ratio, also a V twin seems to give better responses while it restricted than a mid size inline 4.

Is your mate looking at touring bikes, as most of the ones owned by people on here are, if so consider the Honda Deauville (a sort of mini Pan), not enough power to scare you "sh$tless" but enough to do what you want it to do. It has a lot of engine breaking, meaning you can slow down quite a bit just rolling it off the throttle and, with the weight of it, it makes it stable and comfortable to tour with.

The most important bit for your mate is to learn with a Bike School he is comfortable with whose instructors are easy to get on with rather than just pushing people through the tests and don't forget he will not be able to ride a mid size bike on the road himself, to learn on, before passing his test without his instructor being there on official lessons (I think they need to be linked up with radio as well).
Keith Flook (Bikeless in County Durham)
flookyk1100
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Colour: Invisible Painted

Postby Paul Lingard » 19 Mar 2013, 16:47

Mike
Most has been said already and all good info to chew over.
I would be looking for something in the BMW 650 range. Maybe a Funduro, a few fall into the budget.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Return to Biking in general