WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS RIDE

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS RIDE

Postby mbrST1100 » 07 Jan 2013, 15:15

alans1100 wrote:If i had to pass that traffic on cliff side I would stopped and waited.

It might look worse at the camera angle as if you're actuall doing it...

There many small roads in the Alps which are also bare of safety rails or with only small remains of former walls on the sides.
Then there those spots where you run into unmarked roadwork, leaving you no other choice then to do a few clicks on unpaved road (France is notorious for such), with hairpins and all that... and in there I get very impacient with too slow car drivers ahead... imagine their stare when you pass them, thowing unpleased gestures at them :lol: move it sucker!
Like with a car in deep winter I need to keep it going, stopping would mean to get stuck...
The other day you might be confronted with a crew still busy removing a mudslide, or having to cross a small rock/mudslide left by a recent thunderstorm... or a few cubic meters of snow have fallen off a cliff onto the road...

And frankly you just go through there without really giving it a thought...
Only once I had the pillion unmount, but more over being worried that the ~1ft high and aprox 10ft wide rockslide across the road might damage the tires at full payload...

And in Slovenia we also faced quite some suprises, as many of those, in maps and on Garmin featured 'main roads', turned out to be unpaved, washed out forrest ways...
The group of mainly sports bikes I was with/leading there, were all but pleased with the conditions, and they just couldn't wrap their heads around that this 'rolling living-room' up front just keeps going, apearently not being affected at all...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 07 Jan 2013, 17:01

It's also a matter of experience I guess. You guys use your bikes daily, but a nice-weather-rider like me... I was scared shitless on some of Scotland's "single track roads" not wider than 2m and including steep descent/ascent, complete with 4m wide hairpins. As in paper clips. Transpiration returns to my back just thinking of them. ;-)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: The late Pieter
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Paul Lingard » 07 Jan 2013, 19:09

Your right Pieter experience has a major impact on the way one views the film. I rode Suzuki DRZ400's at work and when I first started riding I was far from confident. Some of the local squibs rode on tow paths along the side of canals at what I thought were insane and unsafe speeds as a way of escape. Took me a couple of month to realise that actually the quicker you go the more control you have on an off road bike over uneven ground. Not many bothered trying that route once they realised that I wasn't about to slow down when they hit the tow paths.
Just to add a lot of the canal paths I used to patrol now have pedestrian gates fitted along there lengths, so maybe I did do some good out there.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 10 Jan 2013, 15:57

Bob, if it was me I imagine my bike would have been covered in brown stuff by the end of that bit of filtering, and probably not just from mud!
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby Paul Lingard » 10 Jan 2013, 16:19

Time for a seat recover job then Derek...I have some correct coloured material left over if you fancy.... :lol:
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Previous

Return to Biking in general