ATGATT reminder

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: ATGATT reminder

Postby mbrST1100 » 28 Jan 2013, 16:36

Pieter Huizinga wrote:But, it's only done when seconds count.

Such can evolve very quickly... a standard situation like a woman in labor, is found having the infant in breech position, old folks feeling fatigue, dizzy or having trouble in breathing turns out suffering a stroke or heart attack...

I just don't get the lack of reception of folks around, the blue flashers are already clearly visible from far behind in the rearviews, even if my sight is aimed forward I note the distinctive flicker in the mirrors in my peripheral vision...
But I'm positive that if those characters end up on the other side once in their life, they'll constantly complain, moan and scream to the ambulence driver what's taking so long... :nuts:

I think that the fedral two-tone is not sufficient anymore, they should change to something like those realy penetrating US wail and yelp.
Drivers of fire engines appear 'reckless' as first impression, but they have really loud two-tone air horns, literally stunning the folks when they race those heavy Rosenberger trucks through intersections or into opposing lanes...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 28 Jan 2013, 18:23

You clearly haven't met Dutch drivers. They won't even pull over if a fire engine sits on their tail, blaring sirens and blazing blue strobes and what have you.

Too busy.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: The late Pieter
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 28 Jan 2013, 18:26

mbrST1100 wrote:I think that the fedral two-tone is not sufficient anymore, they should change to something like those realy penetrating US wail and yelp.

Couldn't agree more. In Belgium you hear an emergency vehicle from three streets further coming at you. I can honestly testify that I often don't even hear the bloody siren here. Fortunately I have this rare habit of checking my rear view mirror every now and then.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 29 Jan 2013, 13:41

Pieter Huizinga wrote:Fortunately I have this rare habit of checking my rear view mirror every now and then.

You might quit that in order to 'blend in' with the crowd...

Dunno whats the cause of this inabillity of reception in many... it seems not being related to what has established as 'intelligent' or 'educated'...

Had a debate with the wife of a friend (she's a head nurse) who'd once stated that she hate motorcycles...
Inquiried about the reasons she claimed that they scare here cause they suddenly appear out of nowhere...

On my argument that then she's doing something wrong, as no motorcycle falls out the sky, in fact they spent quite some time behind her till catching up, ergo she might rather consider checking her rearviews from time to time as she might as well find herself being suddenly shocked by an ambulance or fire engine blasting by, she nearly went ballistic on me...
Seems that those who lack in abillities, feel most offended when one puts a finger on this...

When filtering through the queues I do note one thing:
big 'manager mister rigs' like Jaguar, 7er BMWs, S-Class Mercedes, etc... are mostely the ones who actively give you some space, even at full standstill they turn the wheel and manouvre to give you a tad more space between the rearviews and car doors...
However are the ones trying to actively block you there, mostly females in a 'pothole filling' microcar...

So there seems something of 'having a life' or not behind the issue...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 Jan 2013, 18:21

You sexist! :spank:

What I fear most when filtering are the sales reps who see the other lane moving just a tad faster, and change lanes w/o even looking. In their Ford Mondeo. Or Toyota Prius. Or VW Golf. Or Seat or Kia (all models). And especially the fucking VOLVOs.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 29 Jan 2013, 18:48

Pieter Huizinga wrote:You sexist!

No such thing, just plain observation...
The chances that the car ahead, performing idiotic maneuvers is piloted by a fem or male are pretty equal at 50:50...
I also rarely filter here, at max I do a slalom of commencing passing & lane changing maneuvers if the traffic is not too dense and the distace between the vehicles permitt.

Best act ever as I was slowly filtering ahead to the hold line at an intersection with way sufficient clearance, stopping between the pole positioned cars:
Female to my right taking her phone off the ear, to scream '...ARE YOU INSANE??!!...' (mind that filtering is fully legal here, use of cell phones however not)
I calmly responded: '...you better tug that phone away right now, or receive a ticket right on the spot..."
Great observing her jaw dropping combined with a change of complexion :D
Next the light turned green and I was gone... 8-)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 01 Mar 2013, 15:47

Pieter Huizinga wrote:You clearly haven't met Dutch drivers. They won't even pull over if a fire engine sits on their tail, blaring sirens and blazing blue strobes and what have you.

As to be observed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jT7kxcWAcY
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Previous

Return to Biking in general