rally insurance?

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

rally insurance?

Postby Keith Legge » 09 Jan 2015, 09:26

A coast to coast charity ride set for April has been called off because someone checked their insurance and rallies are not covered?

Just checked my insurance small print and sure enough in the exceptions clause it states "Any type of rally".

Begs the question what is a rally organised ride/number of bikes, is BritSToc a rally?
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Re: rally insurance?

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 09 Jan 2015, 09:39

Over here, this exception refers to a competitive event, on or off the public roads. On non-public roads, e.g. a circuit, you are never insured. This is why the advanced motorbike training for example offers a one-day all-risks insurance on your bike when you take that training.
A group ride-out with no competitive element should imho never be considered a "rally".
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 09 Jan 2015, 11:14

Keith Legge wrote:Just checked my insurance small print and sure enough in the exceptions clause it states "Any type of rally".

As Pieter wrote is the emphasis on the term rally being a competitive activity, therefore a "race", thus motivation, thus increasingly risky driving beyond regular, legal limits of road usage.

The crux is the multiple meaning of the English word rally, which it also stands for (mass)meeting, assembly, gathering, congregation, mustering, etc... yet even recuperation ;)

What we "normally" do is a group ride, a gathering, a RTE... with no intention to violate speed limits and ride beyond the safety envelope to begin with...
The German language specifies that more detailed, a rallye always is a motor-sport event on closed roads with timekeeping, specials, etc...
A regular ride, tour, excursion, etc... is intended as regular vehicle and road use by definition, thus covered by the (mandatory) liability coverage and (optional) insurance.

The over-cautious member should have checked logics first ;)
Cause by his strange POV even a simple RTE with 2~3 friends/bikes would be excluded from any coverage... which is just plain nonsense.
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Keith Legge » 09 Jan 2015, 11:38

Looks like a typical insurance catch all statement (ANY type of rally).
The ride is going ahead just not as an organised event (everyone is going for a ride ;) ) the downside is no marshals and no back up van, a recipe for chaos. :lol:
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby PeterPan » 09 Jan 2015, 12:26

I go to many Rally's along with thousands of other people. Never realised I was uninsured. Anyone want to buy a bike?

Sent by Peter from His IThingy.
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Postby Gareth R » 09 Jan 2015, 12:49

Makes a change from blaming health & safety
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby alans1100 » 09 Jan 2015, 13:25

I just checked my new policy and anything relating to preparing or taking part in sport type events on is not covered.

A charity rally we would call a charity ride as that is what it is and it just a group of people going for a ride on a public road.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby oslin2014 » 11 Jan 2015, 15:37

Has anyone asked the insurance company for a ruling on fund raising events ?
oslin2014
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: keith inglis
Model: Pan 1300
Year: 2002
Colour: red

Postby PeterW3035 » 12 Jan 2015, 12:55

I had a similar experience a few years ago with the South West Peninsular Spring Rally that both Peter & Derrick have ridden, after a lot of to-ing & fro-ing and having sent details of this annual event organised by Somerset Advanced Motorcyclists, the insurers finally came round to understanding what the event entailed. They had the impression it involved blasting off road at high speed through the forests and head to head racing on public roads.

I have subsequently changed to an insurer who understands biking and who has someone on the end of the phone who actually rides. Its most necessary when many insurers will be looking for an excuse not to pay out, check out the clause about retro fitted accessories and you will open up another minefield !!!
The Honda Pan European UK Owners Club Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/532793110173047/
PeterW3035
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Peter Finch

Postby Critters » 12 Jan 2015, 16:42

PeterW3035 wrote:I had a similar experience a few years ago with the South West Peninsular Spring Rally that both Peter & Derrick have ridden, after a lot of to-ing & fro-ing and having sent details of this annual event organised by Somerset Advanced Motorcyclists, the insurers finally came round to understanding what the event entailed. They had the impression it involved blasting off road at high speed through the forests and head to head racing on public roads.

I have subsequently changed to an insurer who understands biking and who has someone on the end of the phone who actually rides. Its most necessary when many insurers will be looking for an excuse not to pay out, check out the clause about retro fitted accessories and you will open up another minefield !!!

Not wanting to go into war stories but in my previous life dealt with a serious motorcycle accident involving a sports bike, bike was uplifted by authorised recovery company so bike could be examined, friends of injured rider turned up at garage demanding access to the bike, was refused by rather large mechanic who phoned us, we turned up and as a result 1 of pair locked up, they had turned up simply to change the fitted exhaust.

End result was an insurance payout reduced by a fraction having non approved parts fitted oh and the guy survived after many operations so in my opinion its just not worth the grief not telling them.

I also had a good way of dealing with modified car users, mummy's car, mummy's insurance with the little scroat as a named driver, car fitted with straight through exhaust, roll cage, wide wheels, tinted windows, bucket seats etc etc etc, conversation went along the lines of, Have you notified the insurance company of the modifications? "yea" I contact said insurance company listing obvious modifications, insurance company contact mummy asking her to declare the modifications within 7 days, no declaration insurance was cancelled immediately, harsh I know but it thinned the idiots out from the genuine folk who were doing it properly.
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Return to Biking in general