And another CON.

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: And another CON.

Postby zebedeee » 07 Nov 2014, 15:26

cammy_moir wrote:36 in a 30 zone????????? WTF has become of the traffic dept??. It used to be 10 mph + 10 % of the posted limit. which equlals 43 in a 30. Motorists being an easy target again!!!!!!

Was an ACPO recommendation not 10% plus 2mph? Which would just catch the 36mph.

If I see numerous dangerous manouvers performed (at below the speed limit) in just a daily commute to work so why are these things not being looked at. I know, and have friends at the sharp end, and have great respect for what they do, but the people who control purse strings reduce the manpower then make up targets to meet to prove this new reduced manpower force is doing its job.......but not a job anymore that has any common sense applied to it.
David Whitley - 2001 ST1100AY - 106000miles
https://sites.google.com/site/wildwesttour2009/
zebedeee

Full name: David Whitley
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 2001
Colour: Wineberry

Postby steve974 » 03 Dec 2014, 22:04

zebedeee wrote:
cammy_moir wrote:36 in a 30 zone????????? WTF has become of the traffic dept??. It used to be 10 mph + 10 % of the posted limit. which equlals 43 in a 30. Motorists being an easy target again!!!!!!

Was an ACPO recommendation not 10% plus 2mph? Which would just catch the 36mph.

If I see numerous dangerous manouvers performed (at below the speed limit) in just a daily commute to work so why are these things not being looked at. I know, and have friends at the sharp end, and have great respect for what they do, but the people who control purse strings reduce the manpower then make up targets to meet to prove this new reduced manpower force is doing its job.......but not a job anymore that has any common sense applied to it.

+1

There has always been a case for education being preferable to prosecution, so offering a speeding offender a 4 hour speed awareness lesson for £60 as an option to points on his licence for the next four years perhaps achieves this objective. From personal experience :oops: I saw the effect that a couple of the speakers had on the group with one lad fainting when the medic described what happened to your heart and internal organs as a result of a 40mph crash - I can only assume that your presentation was unfortunately not as effective as the one I had to attend.

When I was on bikes it was 38mph and upwards in a 30 limit that attracted my attention, unless the offenders speed was inappropriate for the circumstances... either way it was down to my discretion. I don't believe that the blame lies with individual Traffic Officers, from what I understand nowadays the Bobbies have a certain number of 'credits' per day to achieve with each individual offence providing different credits depending on their seriousness (I assume?)

A truly horrible system and chronically unfair to both the public and Police, there are not enough Bobbies on the street or on Traffic patrol and driving behavior has suffered, and they have now become the Governments whipping boys. From the various Police forums to which I subscribe it's evident that moral is at an all time low... I served 30 great years and genuinely pity the poor b*ggers in the Force nowadays.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby David W » 06 Dec 2014, 22:12

If it gets too bad, Keith, shop around for your insurance.
Thanks to Keith for posting about the insurance companies wanting to snoop into the police database. It seems the police can search into the insurance database to see if we have current liability insurance.
Keith Legge wrote:... The insurance companies have asked the police for access to their data base on course attendees; I believe that has been refused? ...
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

And another CON.

Postby Critters » 07 Dec 2014, 00:22

David W wrote:If it gets too bad, Keith, shop around for your insurance.
Thanks to Keith for posting about the insurance companies wanting to snoop into the police database. It seems the police can search into the insurance database to see if we have current liability insurance.

Keith Legge wrote:... The insurance companies have asked the police for access to their data base on course attendees; I believe that has been refused? ...

To be honest this refusal will not make any difference, the driver record database is not a "police database" and as such if an organisation (like an insurance company) wants information from it the DVSA will release information for an appropriate fee.

This third party access already happens as some large transport companied have third party companies they use to continually monitor employee driver licensing and all they do is get driving licence information from the employee, check with DVSA for a fee which is then fed back to large companies that employ hundreds of drivers, this will weed out those with a high number of points and (yes it has happened) unlicensed drivers.
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby alans1100 » 07 Dec 2014, 09:12

I've just received the renewal notice for the 1100's insurance. If I stay with them it will go up from $AUD26.35 a month to $33.94 for something that is fairly basic cover.

A quote from my preferred company will be $29.16 which includes a Rating 1 protection so I might be giving Swann Insurance a call before the end of the month and cancel the automatic renewal with the other lot.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 07 Dec 2014, 13:45

One first has to view by all the legal differences on the continents/nations there...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Previous

Return to Biking in general