Advice

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: Advice

Postby Pan Rider Jack » 14 Oct 2014, 18:03

Really think new tyres fitted up here and do the run down, ferry, trip, ferry and back and they will still have life in them even if slightly squared from the M'way run back up
Ride safe Ride free
Jack
Pan Rider Jack
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Jack Milton
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100 x 2
Year: 92 & 96
Colour: Green & White

Postby PeterW3035 » 14 Oct 2014, 18:07

Spain's obviously the place to go http://www.bikersoracle.com/paneuropean/forum/showthread.php?t=10550

Just scanned through but didn't see any mention of problems with the long haul south (from Inverness) or any mention of squared tyres, at face value seems like a bargain trip?
The Honda Pan European UK Owners Club Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/532793110173047/
PeterW3035
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Peter Finch

Postby Critters » 14 Oct 2014, 18:23

PeterW3035 wrote:Spain's obviously the place to go http://www.bikersoracle.com/paneuropean/forum/showthread.php?t=10550

Just scanned through but didn't see any mention of problems with the long haul south (from Inverness) or any mention of squared tyres, at face value seems like a bargain trip?

Im not getting into the link, some folk will ride with a squared off rear tyre and not notice it, unfortunately I do, maybe I need to ease off on the throttle a bit more.... :D
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby alans1100 » 15 Oct 2014, 00:49

Critters wrote:
Im not getting into the link, some folk will ride with a squared off rear tyre and not notice it, unfortunately I do, maybe I need to ease off on the throttle a bit more.... :D

As long as the tread minimum depth is above the tyre wear markers then they should be ok. Most of our tyres tend to wear the harder centre compound on long straight roads which is what the tyre was designed to do. The softer side compound is a little more stickier so we don't lose traction when cornering.

If you just rode the hills roads and no long straights then tyre wear would be opposite and the softer sides would wear out quicker than the centre and you'd get less miles per tyre. But you would still get that squared off look where the two compounds meet.

The ideal is to balance the sort of roads that we ride on but not always easy if you live where there are very few hilly type roads.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby steve974 » 15 Oct 2014, 22:53

Critters wrote:
PeterW3035 wrote:Spain's obviously the place to go http://www.bikersoracle.com/paneuropean/forum/showthread.php?t=10550

Realistically there's your answer... ease up on traffic light GP's and treat the throttle gently, this will resolve the squaring off of your tyres on the trip down if you fit new up there, although I really can't see that the distance on motorways at a steady speed would square off a new tyre unless you're running a really soft tyre. I've done higher mileages 2 up fully loaded on motorways without any problems on PR3's and 4's.

...or

+1 on Bike Moto, I have the ST13 serviced there and tyres fitted, an excellent bloke in every respect. His tyre prices are competitive as well. Order well in advance and he'll sort you out.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 16 Oct 2014, 10:59

Having put about 4000 miles around europe mainland/UK on my BT023s recently of which at least half has been on motorway/autobahn I don't feel the tyres are particularly squared off. I think some people fret far too much about squaring off their tyres. Just ride the flippin' bike and enjoy!
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Oct 2014, 15:39

Derek-Dex-French wrote:Just ride the flippin' bike and enjoy!

Amen.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Critters » 16 Oct 2014, 21:52

Thanks for the advice, some useful, some well lets just leave it there and as for GP starts I grew out of that years ago. :!:
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby mbrST1100 » 16 Oct 2014, 22:19

Methinks you'll have to find the compromise, a mix of m/ways and some scenic routes... for yours and the sake of your pillion...
Prep yourself and pillion with decent earplugs, load a good selection of tunes to avoid numbing your brain on the quick connecting stages and plan brief stops like every 2 hours (I guess your pillion's bladder capacity will rule those time increments anyway ;) )
On my 1100 I find 160kph/100mph a good "cruising speed" on m/ways, covering miles with reasonable fuel economy, still not arousing too much attention by them LEOs; 1 hour is OK, ~2 hours on autobahn is stretching it but bearable for me... dunno if you/your pillion can do 3~4 hours...
(still recall the race across Germany to the ferry port in the Netherlands... purely Autobahn for 2 days... awful... :( )
Plot your route-mix on MapSource or Autoroute to get an Idea about the time-frame... plan some reserve though (not good having to race against the clock for catching the darn ferry; I'd rather relax +2 hours at a café prior embarkation...)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby alans1100 » 17 Oct 2014, 03:14

mbrST1100 wrote:On my 1100 I find 160kph/100mph a good "cruising speed" on m/ways,

All we have is the 110 k/h maximum limit and for one or two states it's only a 100.

The Northern Territory on the highway towards Adelaide use to be an open limit and was reduced to a 110 a few years ago but one 200 km section is now 130 k/h and shock horror from the other states. Like it's not safe etc. Funny thing was though when the speed limit was reduced to a 110 they had more accidents etc.

For myself I have found that at 140 k/h the bike seems to handle better and it's completely safe.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Biking in general