Advice

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: Advice

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Oct 2014, 11:33

alans1100 wrote:...but one 200 km section is now 130 k/h and shock horror from the other states. Like it's not safe etc. Funny thing was though when the speed limit was reduced to a 110 they had more accidents etc.

Yeah, like the nanny-state is purposely breeding dumb people...
If I'd to go 100~110kph on the m/way I'd get so bored that I'll loose focus, start to observe the landscape and such... and that is really dangerous...
At normals speeds I stay fully focussed, alerted and cautious...

For myself I have found that at 140 k/h the bike seems to handle better and it's completely safe.

The vehicles are not the issue, lack of skills and false attitude of drivers are...
Its like in gun threads; it ain't the speed that kills, its the when and where... yes, one can speed "responsible" if situation, traffic density, etc... permits...
If clearance and safety margin aren't given, one cannot speed...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pan Rider Jack » 17 Oct 2014, 23:37

mbrST1100 wrote:....160kph/100mph a good "cruising speed" on m/ways, ...... still not arousing too much attention by them LEOs;

If moving at that sort of speed on the M'ways here the local LEO's will be more than interested if any are about ;)
Ride safe Ride free
Jack
Pan Rider Jack
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Jack Milton
Model: ST1100 x 2
Year: 92 & 96
Colour: Green & White

Postby mbrST1100 » 18 Oct 2014, 21:57

Pan Rider Jack wrote:If moving at that sort of speed on the M'ways here the local LEO's will be more than interested if any are about ;)

I still remember my very first trip to UK and Scotland back in '99...
In the pre-math a rider from UK warned us insistent and repeated about the PCs and speed traps, etc... in an intonation like they would open fire at us at for +5mph...
We disembark in Kingston Upon Hill and indeed, at the first roundabout that tall bloke, Tony J was awaiting us to make guide to the base camp up north...
So we all greet warmly and follow him, first through a bit dense city traffic, then he ramps up on the m/way, takes aim and... fires the afterburners... >180kph/115mph all the way up to Aviemore... WTF?!! :shock: :lol:
A Couple of hours later, while the bikes were ticking off the heat during a fuel stop I gave him a questioning stare, he just grinned like the radiator grill of a Bentley and remarked "...oh, seems we're lucky today..." mounted and whacked it again... ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby steve974 » 19 Oct 2014, 19:48

Yup, lucky I guess. Generally 10% +1mph will get you a £90 plus 3 points if you meet the wrong man. I've read of bikers doing speeds of over 100mph and getting prison but their speed/circumstances have to be enough to fulfill the criteria of Dangerous or Reckless driving which carries a prison term penalty. Whichever, you could well end up with a very unhealthy fine.... There are certain Counties in the UK in which excess speed is an enforcement priority.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7918212.stm

I don't risk it nowadays.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Previous