Autocom ages

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Autocom ages

Postby mbrST1100 » 28 Sep 2014, 12:52

Well, after 15 years my coiled rider lead seems to give in:

Img_0399 8x6.jpg
Img_0399 8x6.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 3728 times

Seems that skin-oil, UV-radiation, impurities in rain and road spray finally asking their tolls...

As there no other damages I can simply shorten and resolder it... ready to serve for another 15 years ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: Autocom ages

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 29 Sep 2014, 08:46

Quite a good service life.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Autocom ages

Postby mbrST1100 » 29 Sep 2014, 09:40

Yes, in matters of durability their original, genuine stuff is really amazing... (dunno about their current products/range after they've been taken over by Sonic)

Bought that kit in '99, quite an action to get the purchases through from the UK, phoning the CC number and such, but Paul Barrett was really helpful and supportive.

Not many alternatives back then:
J&M from the US; hideous things, huge helmet speakers impossible to fit, boxes and connectors that seemed to have been designed in the 50ies... :roll:
BAER: klingon-made, thus genuine lack in support; music input mono and didn't offer the AUX connectivities we'd required...
MIT-100: a low quality stuff offered at Conrad, cheap to the touch, mono, etc...
And all had the cheap, PVC-insulated coiled leads, which I just knew they'll fail soon...

Compared the Autocom assortment was "the land of milk and honey"...
Simple, easy setup, all just plug and play: stereo music (with superb quality), GSM interface, radio interface, handlebar PTT/VOX, adaptors and extension leads for all kinds of AUX devices avail, splitters to hook multiple devices to one input (like GPS audio + GSM on one AUX-in), even an isolated stereo lead avoiding ground-loop buzz when hooking it up to our bike powered stereos... (static and distortion were a problem on all other makes then, tracing and eliminating them drove me nuts when installing kits in comrade's bikes...)
Pricey though (about the range of the biggest BAER kit), but way more options, and watching all the competitor unit on the surrounding bikes fail and die over the years, made it clear that Autocom was just the proper choice.
Later a friend of mine upgraded to a Zumo 550 thus wanted BlueTooth + stereo music... no problem, just plug-in and pair their BT-dongle, and: rock solid! The thing never missed a beat!

"Failures" so far:
Shorten/rebuilding the wire loom/hub coming out the helmet: two times; when placing the helmet on the shelf/flat surface the cable gets kinked at the rim. Aprox 20 minutes work
Replacing rider boom mike: once; after some years the foam paddings decayed and the then unprotected mike got flooded in a heavy British downpour ;) still worked but had distortions and a too low VOX-threshold after that...
Fixing the bike sided pillion socket/outlet: once (after 15 years...)

No of helmets the headsets were installed/swapped to:
rider side: 4
pillion side: 2
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Return to Biking in general