CRASH CARD

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

CRASH CARD

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 28 Aug 2014, 09:41

Hi All. Only recently heard about the Crash card scheme. Involves a business-size card with your personal details slipped into the inside lining of the crash helmet, plus a green sticker dot on the outside right of the crash helmet to alert ambulance staff and others of its presence. It is intended to become an international standard.
Some details about it are here:
http://www.crashcard.co.uk/index.htm
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: CRASH CARD

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 28 Aug 2014, 11:14

Each Schuberth helmet has one.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 28 Aug 2014, 11:41

I posted this on Ozstoc.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby cammy_moir » 28 Aug 2014, 12:16

In theory a good idea. A bit like ICE devices - but do you really want the information to be stored inside your helmet? I would prefer that well meaning people left my helmet in place, given the dangers of removal, unless they had the correct training to remove it.
cammy_moir
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

CRASH CARD

Postby John OoSTerhuis » 28 Aug 2014, 17:10

Randy is a friend of mine. I have one of his ICE devices on my key ring, tankbag, and riding jacket. And its decal front and center on my helmet.
http://www.theicedevice.com
Highly recommended!

Edit: Image

I also have one of these on my helmet (a freebie passed out at one of the WeSTOC gatherings):

Regards, John

John OoSTerhuis. STOC 1058
iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
1991 Honda ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic (@190K)
Bettendorf, Iowa
John OoSTerhuis
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: John Oosterhuis
Model: ST1100
Year: 1991
Colour: Sparkling Silver Met

Postby John OoSTerhuis » 28 Aug 2014, 17:48

The website isn't currently working... :(

http://www.crashcard.co.uk/index.htm

John OoSTerhuis. STOC 1058
iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
1991 Honda ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic (@190K)
Bettendorf, Iowa
John OoSTerhuis
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: John Oosterhuis
Model: ST1100
Year: 1991
Colour: Sparkling Silver Met

Postby steve974 » 10 Oct 2014, 20:21

When I was solo touring in France I wore a titanium Medicalert necklace bearing my name, blood group and I.C.E. contact numbers. I also included that I am lactose intolerant as many medications include lactose.

They will inscribe whatever you want on there so it's not necessarily only for medical conditions, and they also do bracelets if necklaces are not your thing!

http://www.universalmedicalid.co.uk/
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby mbrST1100 » 10 Oct 2014, 21:28

steve974 wrote:When I was solo touring in France I wore a titanium Medicalert necklace bearing my name, blood group and I.C.E. contact numbers.

I did a similar thing by getting me some dog-tags made with name, blood-type, nationality, social security No and [no preference] embossed.
The idea came to me (again) while working at chemical plants a couple of years ago, where a possible "boom" wouldn't have left much of my valet and the IDs inside... and since we don't have a central dental database the EMTs would have had a heck of time IDing the remains...
You can order those at little money at Amazon or Ebay, they also personalize both tags with different text/information about allergies, diabetes, non/preferred medication, ICE, etc...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Ali in Austria » 11 Oct 2014, 09:01

I have thought about these "ICE" type ideas before but do question their usefulness. Contact details are one thing but medical information such as Blood Groups etc are another. Would a Paramedic or Doctor take the information at face value and proceed based on what is there. In the event of an error in or misinterpretation of the information , who would be responsible and would the medical people be prepared to run that risk? Warnings such as Diabetic or Lactose would probably be taken notice of but Blood Groups are a different matter. Some people have Emergency USB Sticks. Would the Emergency Services have the ability to read them at the scene and would they be prepared to plug an unverified Data Source in to their equipment if they did? What happens if more than one Biker is involved and the information is on the bike and not the person? How do they know who it relates to in an emergency situation.

I am also loathed to wear anything around my neck in the event of an accident. Having broken 6 ribs and suffered a punctured lung probably as a result of having a small wallet (I'm not rich) in my breast pocket during an off I am well aware what these things can do. Imagine what some medalion type object or keys would do. On top of which there are so many systems out there, would the Emergency Services even know what they are looking at?
Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: Alistair Mears
Make: Suzuki
Model: DL1000
Year: 2006
Colour: Black

Postby mbrST1100 » 11 Oct 2014, 10:16

Ali in Austria wrote:Warnings such as Diabetic or Lactose would probably be taken notice of but Blood Groups are a different matter.

Once you arrive unconsciously at an ER, blood-work is SOP anyway.
Talked to paramedics and they agree that anything like dog-tags will find observance, in fact will they rather trust some necklace over the inscriptions on a helmet or vehicle, due the simple fact that the person might have borrowed it from someone else; which is rather unlikely with an ICE tag/medallion...
Their only complaint is a lack of standard and that too many folks ignore the possibilities and choose not to wear any ICE information...

In scuba diving we had the routine to have an ICE card on the inside of the first-aid kit stashed in our dive bags and informed all others in the group where to find and what actions to take.

Also on Honda Rallies they had you fill out a form with all the essential ICE information for their index.

Having broken 6 ribs and suffered a punctured lung probably as a result of having a small wallet (I'm not rich) in my breast pocket...

Same or worse with a cell phone, whist it is still safer to carry it on your body instead of stashing it somewhere in the bike, where you can't reach it if you end up somewhere in the undergrowth...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Next

Return to Biking in general