Have i got the right bike

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: Have i got the right bike

Postby tonupdave » 01 Sep 2014, 12:26

Thanks for the Info. :P mbrSt1100 it seems the norm :roll: so I wont start worrying and just carry on as normal :D
T.U.D. :ugeek:
tonupdave
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: David Kidd
Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Silver

Postby PeterPan » 02 Sep 2014, 19:17

I checked my pressure gauge device, approx. cost £5 against my gpmoto at lots more £ and found them to be different by about 3 psi. Checked my £5 gauge against my local stealers at a tyre change and found 7 psi different. After further research found that the best type are the non digital type. Sort of pen shape. Also found that my £5 gauge that sits in my side pocket is the most accurate of them all.

Sent from my iThingy
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Postby tonupdave » 02 Sep 2014, 20:14

Yes Peter that's what I am using now the old type pen gauge ;) I tested all my gauges on one tyre ,a dial gauge, two dial gauges on two different pumps and two pen type gauges---the two pen type both read the same-- the others between four and eight pounds out-- :shock: - and I have had the pen types for over 50 years---(If it aint broke......)
Thanks for all your input..T.U.D. :ugeek:
tonupdave
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 02 Sep 2014, 20:50

PeterPan wrote:...the best type are the non digital type. Sort of pen shape.

Less moving parts - less likely to fail...
Them digital ones will only be accurate:
- with battery in them; low voltage will give false reading...
- as long as the kit is within proper temp range; too cold or too hot and the readings are off...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: Have i got the right bike?

Postby David W » 15 Sep 2014, 01:02

tonupdave wrote:Thanks for the Info. :P mbrSt1100 it seems the norm :roll: so I wont start worrying and just carry on as normal :D
TUD and all, that sounds great, but if I were you, I might also be on the lookout for a slightly dulled sense of balance, and would not attempt two up riding if I had any doubts about my legs, feet, footwear or road surfaces. A third suggestion might sound silly to some: consciously adjust your mental attitude when changing from solo to two up riding.
You may even have to occasionally say "no" to your wife if she wants you to turn that big rig around in a tight spot.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Re: Have i got the right bike?

Postby alans1100 » 15 Sep 2014, 03:58

David W wrote:
tonupdave wrote:Thanks for the Info. :P mbrSt1100 it seems the norm :roll: so I wont start worrying and just carry on as normal :D
A third suggestion might sound silly to some: consciously adjust your mental attitude when changing from solo to two up riding.
You may even have to occasionally say "no" to your wife if she wants you to turn that big rig around in a tight spot.

I don't normally ride in city type traffic anymore but when I do there are times when both feet go down to steady the bike (when two up) for the last couple feet before stopping.

There's a lot of difference between solo and two up and you need to adjust to having the person on board. But the pillion also needs to know that their movements can upset the balance and there are times when they should remain still (like corning etc). I tow a trailer sometimes and that again adds other things to be aware of and again change the riding style to suit.

As for low speed stuff like U turns and parking the bike I ask Heather to get off if it can't be done safely with her on the bike. What ever works best at the time even if it means riding around the block instead of a U turn.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby tonupdave » 09 Oct 2014, 14:23

Thanks for all the replies just to let you know my wife of over forty years is both experienced pillion and motorcycle rider so I know her habits on the back I fact I hardly know she is there only when she speaks..She has been riding with me all of that time!!!!....I must admit that the Pan is the heaviest bike I have ridden in almost sixty years of riding and I am not the youngster I think I am. The last trip I had was on a rally where the last six or so miles were at a walking pace and I was quite tired so that my have been the problem......
Thanks All T.U.D. :ugeek:
tonupdave
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Previous

Return to Biking in general