Xenon headlights not permitted across Europe

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Xenon headlights not permitted across Europe

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 27 May 2014, 13:58

I read an article in ANWB Motor today about this. To summarize:

More and more motorcyclists have Xenon headlight installed on their bikes. In most countries there are no special requirements except the obvious.
However in Germany and Austria there are additional requirements by law, and you can be fined if you don't comply with these.
And in France it is outright forbidden to have aftermarket Xenon headlights installed on your bike.

Good to know if you're considering Xenon light.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Re: Xenon headlights not permitted across Europe

Postby Gareth R » 27 May 2014, 14:53

I'm sure this will go the way of the previously well thought out initiatives by our Gaelic cousins - reflective bits and breathalysers ;-).
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby oslin2014 » 27 May 2014, 15:28

I wish they would do that here, they are a bloody nuisance and dangerous at night on unlit roads here in the UK
Keith
oslin2014
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: keith inglis
Make: Honda
Model: Pan 1300
Year: 2002
Colour: red

Postby alans1100 » 27 May 2014, 16:04

Pieter are talking about standard xenon globes (blue tint) or HID lights as they are two different animals?

We are not allowed to install aftermarket HID unless they were fitted as standard or optional equipment. Of course that doesn't stop some self installed HID systems in a headlight unit that wasn't designed for them.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 27 May 2014, 16:41

Pieter Huizinga wrote:However in Germany and Austria there are additional requirements by law, and you can be fined if you don't comply with these.

Well, its an obvious and logical issue that you're not supposed to temper with the equipment the vehicle got homologated, certified and imported with.
In the very moment you change something in the setup, the street use registration/permit of the vehicle is nil and void... that's the plain fact
This matters wattage, colour and of course, or especially: the Candela (cd) output...

Those HID drop-in sets are highly disputed, the positioning of the light source (arc) inside a reflector designed to work with an H4 bulb, is not properly given, the light pattern therefore just off...
Same for those CREE LED drop-in kits...

Them folks just want "mucho light", being individual, or I don't know what... but don't consider (or care) about the dazzling the then changed assembly will cause...

And I personally fail to see the reason for all that "farkle fever" arising, that ST1100 headlight with the two 55/60 H4 bulbs is working just brilliantly... so do most headlights on motorcycles...

HIDs are so bright that the legislator insisted on "auto levelling" being mandatory, as seen with the "swivelling" on cars those lights are OEM when you turn them on; there is a levelling sensor, adjusting the beam angle according to the payload/niveau of the car body... this seems technically impossible to realise on motorcycles which have way more suspension movement/change... also keep in mind that the position of a motorcycle headlight is way higher, aiming directly into the rear-views of cars...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 27 May 2014, 16:57

alans1100 wrote:Pieter are talking about standard xenon globes (blue tint) or HID lights as they are two different animals?

Don't know Alan, the article just was about Xenon not built in standard by the manufacturer.
If HID are not Xenon then this might not apply but what Martin says is pretty obvious, you are changing the specs with which the bike was approved so you do run a risk that you violate the law. So it is more likely that the same applies to HID lights.

BTW, according to the article the sole manufacturer offering models with factory fitted Xenon lights presently is BMW.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 28 May 2014, 06:24

I found this description of the various headlights. It seems BMW are now using laser lights on one of their models. Most new cars out here now have HID as either standard or optional.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/head ... d-v-laser/

I'm quite happy using 60/55w H4 for most of the night riding I do. The OEM 45/45w Honda spec H4 are not readily available over here so most of use the standard H4.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby saaz_australia » 03 Jun 2014, 13:04

The ST1100 headlight we get here is marginal at best for the riding I do at night. With decent H4 bulbs in it is ok if you don't do much night riding, but the beam pattern is nowhere near as good as the Euro spec headlight. I have tried proper HID bulbs with ballasts in the ST1100, and while brighter the beam pattern is not great. I far preferred good H4s in the headlight with the better beam pattern with auxiliary HID lighting for high beam (55W HID euro pattern).
John Nagle
2014 Triumph Trophy SE, 1996 Honda ST1100P
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681 and some others
saaz_australia
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby steve974 » 23 Nov 2014, 15:07

I've had HID's in my ST1300 for over a year, it's passed 2 MOTs with their inclusive beam test and the only time I've only been flashed once. The lights are bright, powerful and would appear to no problem.... I've also done two European trips with no probs.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Return to Biking in general