HID conversion kits

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: HID conversion kits

Postby steve974 » 22 Jan 2013, 22:09

I'm with you Paul, surely there is no acknowledged number of flashes to say 'After you Sir' or 'I'm going to stop'.. and particularly as the front end of the bike is prone to dipping up and down on the road undulations it may have all the appearance of a flash when in fact it wasn't one.

I'll stick with the way I was taught thanks..
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby mbrST1100 » 22 Jan 2013, 22:14

steve974 wrote:I'll stick with the way I was taught thanks..

Surely the best way within your area.
When I go abroad I always first observe the local riders and traffic, to then quickly adapt and blend in.

Like stopping in Spain in front of a pedestrian Xing would be seriously asking to get rear ended... ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Paul Lingard » 23 Jan 2013, 00:13

mbrST1100 wrote:
steve974 wrote:I'll stick with the way I was taught thanks..

Surely the best way within your area.
When I go abroad I always first observe the local riders and traffic, to then quickly adapt and blend in.

That sounds dangerous to me Martin mate you should see the antics of some I have ridden with it would make me look like the odd one out.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Andi Archer » 23 Jan 2013, 13:03

Its also rather a hazard for the pedestrian is it not to step out in front of a still moving vehicle even if they have flashed..........explain hitting a pedestrian to your insurance and see how far that gets you.
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby alans1100 » 23 Jan 2013, 15:53

Andi Archer wrote:Its also rather a hazard for the pedestrian is it not to step out in front of a still moving vehicle even if they have flashed..........explain hitting a pedestrian to your insurance and see how far that gets you.

South Australia got rid of those crossings because of that reason. Not the flashing lights but because people were just walking out in front of cars doing 50 or 60kph without checking to see if it was safe to cross. Unfortunately assisted suicide is illegal over here and we have try and stop in time or avoid so as not to cause harm/damage

Car drivers flash headlights only to warn of police (meaning speed trap)

Truckies will flash headlights quite a lot and use their indicators for passing and being passed. In that situation if I'm touring a little slower than they are I'll flash my lights to let them know it's safe to come back in the lane.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX/ST1300A4
Year: 1999/2004
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue/C

Postby mbrST1100 » 23 Jan 2013, 16:47

alans1100 wrote:Not the flashing lights but because people were just walking out in front of cars doing 50 or 60kph without checking to see if it was safe to cross.

Well, without traffic lights (or sans a LEO in the centre of the intersection, performing windmill-handsignal ballet ;-) ) motorists must approach a pedestrian X-ing at a safe, prepared to yield, ready to brake speed over here; so allone doing 50 or 60kph in direct proximity of an Xing results in sentencing for reckless driving, endangering, etc...
Therfore is my headlight flicker only confirming to the pedestrian that I'm aware of his attempts and already on the brake to stop.

And I really hate those folks who stand at the curb of an Xing for nothing!!

You're slowing down noticable, give a flash... the person is looking but not moving... you slow down even more, maybe enforce with a second flicker... still no reaction... that dumbass has finally forced you to complete standstill... that idiot is still not moving, meanwhile like 10 cars queuing behind... you give him/her a stare, accompanied with a desperate gesture 'WTF ARE YOU UP TO?!!!'...
FINALLY he/she signals like '...err, I'm not going...' ... well then seek a different place to hang out for crying out loud!!! :roll:
But beware!!
Despite some of them signal 'no', just at the moment your clutch linings slightly touch the flywheel, they will suddenly step down like 20cm before your front bumper/wheel....
WAHHHHHH!!! :evil: (now that's legal assisted suicide attempt...)

Meanwhile like 25 cars have stacked up behind... only because of this one stupid individual... unf_F_believeable!!! :x
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Forest 1100 » 23 Jan 2013, 23:24

:direction: :bigpop:

Martin reminded me of an incident I'll never forget. I was 16, on my first bike, a Honda 65 Sport, which only weighed a couple hundred pounds, but to me a lot more to handle than the bicycle I had at the time. I was in the downtown area of the city, not much traffic, but a four lane road (two each way).

I saw a guy running off the curb, not at the intersection, on the other side of the road just ahead and I slowed, thinking he would sprint across ahead of me. Then he spots me and starts to slow his pace, so I'm thinking he will wait until I pass, but just as I start to accelerate again, he starts running again! So I start to slow again, but he had just detected that I had accelerated again and then he slows again! :roll:

Remember, he isn't in a crosswalk, but jaywalking across these four lanes. We were now within about 25 feet of each other and I thought, OK, he will wait, so I accelerate again, just as he bursts into a run again. Within seconds, my front wheel caught his leg, just as I had managed a complete stop, and he went tumbling onto the road. I stayed upright and was shocked I had hit this guy :!:

Before I could do anything else, he jumped up and ran off, as I was yelling after him if he was OK. He waved without looking back, as I and a few pedestrians on the sidewalk, looked on with a stunned look on our faces.
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby mbrST1100 » 23 Jan 2013, 23:50

Forest 1100 wrote:I saw a guy running off the curb....

And that's the just the right moment where you fixate on two elementary control on your motorcycle: PASS and HORN :D
Rolling off the throttle, depressing clutch and brakes are optional ;)

Had a similar thing, mind that by its engine noise an ST is pretty much STealth...
Rolling down a main street, no other traffic though, I notice a bloke on the sidewalk, head low, eagerly blathering into his cell...
Upon closing in I note him change his bearing towards the gap between two parked cars towards the lane...
Alarmed I closed the throttle... na, he won't... he can't be that stupid... dammit numbnut raise your head and LOOK!...

Great, he actually stepped out right in front of the ST, using my patented left hand grip on clutch, PASS and HORN simultaniously plus them brakes I stopped like 1,5m in front of him...

Now that did it, he shuddered in complete shock to instantaneously freezing with that big eyed dear in the headlight stare on that blaring, bright light monster that had materialized out of nowhere into his little universe, whilst his previous arm shaking reflex had send the darn cell airborn, resulting it to burst into pieces like two meters away from him.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you think I should add a bloody iPhone icon to my road hit sticker array ?? :D
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 12:28

Headlight flashing and the various misinterpretations can present problems to other road users, as an example -

A few years ago I attended the scene of a collision at a crossroads in a 30mph limit where the lady driver of a car to the left hand junction (controlled by a Give Way sign) of the main road drove into a ST1100 travelling along the main road, despite the bike having precedence.
When I spoke with her she pointed at the male driver of another car positioned opposite her, that is to the right hand side of the main road, and said "He flashed me out"
I went across to the man and he confirmed he had indeed flashed his headlights at the woman driver but added "What I meant was - You can go before me when the motorbike has gone past" I asked the obvious question "How did you expect her to decipher that? Was it in Morse Code?"

At the end of the day it was down to her as she should not have taken any notice of the other drivers actions before emerging into the road.
She was prosecuted for Driving without Due Care, and if I could have thought of something for him he'd have joined her in Court.. but we had some serious words before he left the scene.
I suppose the moral is that by colouring your decisions with potentially dubious information from another road user you're putting your life in their hands.. you've never met them, you have no idea whether they're even sane. Your choice - Your life.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby Keith Legge » 12 Feb 2013, 12:41

steve974 wrote: and if I could have thought of something for him he'd have joined her in Court.. but we had some serious words before he left the scene.

Don't see how you can lay any blame on the other guy he was just being good mannered it was up to the woman to make sure her turn was safe and legal. :?:

If i was him i would have thought of reporting you dependant on how you spoke to me. :?
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

PreviousNext

Return to Biking in general