HID conversion kits

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

Re: HID conversion kits

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 12:46

The point was not to give misleading signals Keith. What he did was not good manners it was potentially dangerous, and so it transpired .. I strongly advised him regarding the Highway Code as he contributed to the cause of the collision, without him flashing the offending driver she probably wouldn't have emerged at that time.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby Keith Legge » 12 Feb 2013, 12:59

I still don't see it flashing someone at a junction your telling them to go first not i've checked the road for you come out without looking.
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 13:35

Highway Code.

Rule 110

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Rule 111

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

Male driver transgressed Rule 110, female driver Rule 111 - In this case one lead to the other, the end result was a collision.
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Keith Legge » 12 Feb 2013, 13:42

:lol: Hands up i'll come quietly :leo: :cop2:

The obvious question is why wasn't he prosecuted if as you say he contributed to the crash?
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 12 Feb 2013, 13:49

Keith Legge wrote:I still don't see it flashing someone at a junction your telling them to go first not i've checked the road for you come out without looking.

Whenever I was in the UK, it got understood and worked perfectly; by pedestrians as well as other motorists... :shrug2:
Up north it was to a part even practiced by locals for signaling us on our STs that their about to pull over and yield in a passing place on those single track roads...
(significant exception: bloody Klingon tourists with a D on their license plates... but those just 'don't get it' wherever they are...)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 14:04

The obvious question is why wasn't he prosecuted if as you say he contributed to the crash?[/quote]

Because contravention of the Highway Code is not itself an offence, but may it may be taken as supporting evidence in a case.. she collided with the ST through her own actions, assisted as they may have been by the male driver.

As you and the Highway Code correctly point out it was absolutely down to the female driver to ensure that the road was clear and her maneuver was safe, however in a Civil Court there may have been enough evidence to support a claim against the male driver as a contributing factor in the incident - Civil Courts do not require absolutes, only probabilities. CPS would never have proceeded with any prosecution against him.
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Keith Legge » 12 Feb 2013, 14:11

Thanks for that Steve i'm interested now is it more common in the north to flash headlights?

Up here it's used everyday i have been flashed out by police on more than one occasion.
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 14:51

Yes, quite probably so.
Whilst it's generally accepted in practice the problems arise when it goes wrong because then you're falling back onto the prescribed 'book of words' ie: The Highway Code, and as you see the accepted practice is then no longer valid. There has to be a rule to which there can be no misunderstanding and that's the HC otherwise there will be regional and other variations..
I was on an Advanced Car Course when one of the other crews came back in with an ashen-faced driver.. He'd come over the brow of a hill on a fast stretch of road to see an HGV waiting at a junction on his right some 250 yards away and decided to give him a long headlight flash to alert the HGV driver of his presence.. you can see where this is going can't you? Sure enough, with a cheerful wave the HGV pulled out in front of him. A classic case of a misinterpreted signal, the Police driver had done what the HC had said but hadn't used his common sense or experience.. and so as well a bad fright he also got a bollocking from his Instructor.
The correct course would have been to reduce speed on the expectation that the HBV would pull out, and definitely not give him a signal that may be misinterpreted... You can bet that he didn't do it again! :D
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 12 Feb 2013, 18:59

Steve, a wild guess. The lady said something along the lines of "Oohh, I *really* had not seen the bike!"
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: The late Pieter
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby steve974 » 12 Feb 2013, 21:56

She hadn't even looked, just took the flash from the other driver as a confirmation that it was clear.. that was the problem.
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Previous

Return to Biking in general