HID conversion kits

Manuals, documentation, how to's, useful links etc.
Also here: our library, and the old my-mc.com archives.

HID conversion kits

Postby mbrST1100 » 12 Jan 2013, 13:34

Yep, had been debated ad nauseam, was actually thinking on a 4300K set for da cage...

For those who've gained real life experience on them, how does this kit appear:
http://www.ebay.at/itm/180954072289?var ... 1423.l2649
(item No 180954072289 if that link bellys up...)

They even state CE certificate, and claim like 2500hrs lifespan (would be ~2,5 years, and then?)
€ 43,- and free shipment...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: HID conversion kits

Postby WJBertrand » 12 Jan 2013, 17:39

I've put HIDs in my ST1300 and my wife's Rav4. I used kits from VVME.com and have had a mostly good experience. The optional lighting harness for the car was delivered with a dead relay (easily replaced for $5 from the local parts shop) but other than that all good. The kit in my ST was installed in April 2009, going on 4 years now. No issues. The kit in the car is about a year and a half old and also still good.

I question the need for the 55w kit though. I put in the 35w kits and they are freeking bright!

-Jeff-
STOC 025
-Jeff-
STOC 025
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 12 Jan 2013, 23:24

Sorry guys but to be very frank I have no idea what HID stands for... :thinking:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: The late Pieter
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby BB08 MCN » 12 Jan 2013, 23:32

High Intesity Discharge, the very white (even blue)lights on upmarket cars etc, doesnt use a glowing filament like normal? lamps, but fires an arc of High voltage electrickery between electrodes in a gas filled glass enclosure (somewhat like a bulb shape). :geek: :blblbl:
2011 ST1300 A-9: BMW R1200 GS:
Image Image
BB08 MCN
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Robert McNeil
Model: ST1300-A9
Year: 2011
Colour: Digital Silver

Postby mbrST1100 » 13 Jan 2013, 00:04

WJBertrand wrote:The kit in my ST was installed in April 2009, going on 4 years now. No issues.

So there no problems or flaws with the HIGH/LOW changeover mechanic (actually a solenoid and a spring) being rattled apart on the bike?

And yes, I'd opt for the 35W kit, was just an example for the H4 HIGH/LOW kit.
And I'd go for the 4300K, as I don't want to have the LEOs constantly being all over me...

The HIGH on my Toyota Carina is still gread, like a C5 illuminating a runway at night approach, the LOW gets a bit dull now, maybe I should to try some new bulbs first :D
I've actually now idea how old they are, as literally nothing breaks on this car (a UK production '96 combi with now >300.000km on the clock),
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby WJBertrand » 13 Jan 2013, 01:53

No problems with the high/low switch over electro-mechanics so far on the bike. For the Rav4 I have single beam HIDs on the low beams only.

-Jeff-
STOC 025
-Jeff-
STOC 025
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby mbrST1100 » 15 Jan 2013, 12:37

WJBertrand wrote:For the Rav4 it's I have single beam HIDs on the low beams only.

Yes, I noted my flaw in cosidering this for da car by now...
I wouldn't have the PASS avail on the car while headlights are OFF... but its somewhat essential to communicate, like signaling 'I'll stop! Move on' on approach to pedestrian Xings and such... (signaling: a practice that seems to have completely forgotten by motorists by now...)
So only practicable on the ST where the headlights are on LOW all the time anyway...
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby steve974 » 22 Jan 2013, 14:16

I seldom use the PASS switch at all.
However, I have little idea what the rules of the road are in Vienna in relation to this, but over here the use of a flash on the headlight is intended to inform other road users of your presence, and nothing more. The varied and overuse of the headlight flash by motorists has lead to general confusion, and in many cases have resulted in an accident.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby mbrST1100 » 22 Jan 2013, 14:44

steve974 wrote:I have little idea what the rules of the road are in Vienna in relation to this, but over here the use of a flash on the headlight is intended to inform other road users of your presence, and nothing more.

Well, that's what you do: inform, communicate.
In my days it was actually teached in driving school...

At night, approaching an urban intersection with obstructed view: one short flicker, so anyone else approaching is made aware that there is other traffic to be expected (same in my or any sublevel garage, where no vision is given on crossing lanes due the concrete support walls), if the other is attentive, he responds in the same way, so everyone gets aware of possibly having to yield to RHS, etc...

Approaching an intersection, my traffic light is already blinking green/yellow, while opponent vehicles, indicating to turn left stand in the centre of the intersection, waiting... 3 dips to make him/her aware that I'll stop, thus its time to clear the intersection, as the cross traffic is about to roll on.
Same when a queue is building up and I signal a waiting vehicle to make its turn or cross the lane/junction as I will keep a gap open.
In both cases the addressed driver can answer by 1 flash or raised hand... 'thanx!'

Approaching a pedestrian X-ing, folks waiting at the curb, 2 flickers inform well in advance that I'll stop, so he/she can start crossing the road.

All this communication would smoothen and speed up the whole traffic...
However, ignorant cellphone-zombies, junction-blockers, etc... deteriorate good road manners.
I'll always have to smile when I eccounter someone 'old-school', using the same language/signals, cause it makes so much sense due just easing things on the roads and the flow of traffic.

Hand signals behind a reflective car windshield are pretty much useless, as all one sees from the outsite is a silver/gray surface of the sky reflecting in it...
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Paul Lingard » 22 Jan 2013, 15:50

The over use of the headlight flash is a problem to an extent. If I use it it's to let others know that I'm there nothing more. I use hand signals in conjunction with a flash and wave pedestrians and other vehicles in/out or what ever too.
I would be worried if there was a system of one flash for this, three flashes for that and so on. My concern there would be did they see that was three flashes and not thought it was two and so on.
No matter how you signal all ways expect it to not have been seen.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Next

Return to Biking in general