iPod CF card adapter mod...

IT corner. Computer & gadget related discussions, help desk, etc.

iPod CF card adapter mod...

Postby mbrST1100 » 25 Oct 2014, 16:00

Got an old 20GB 4G (A1059) here which started acting up... random seizures and that...

Turned out that the battery was totally down, wouldn't even last a sync session with iTunes...
So out for a new battery, cheaply avail... cracking the iThing open is another issue though...
New batt in, restored the iThing with the genuine charger (won't do anything without the 12V at the firewire...)
Worked fine... like for two days...

Back to the desk, hooked it up with iTunes it emitted the significant "...ssssst-tack-tack..." ah-ja, seems the HD now keeled up too...
All-right, ordered a Delock 1.8ZHDD converter and a Transcend 133x 32GB and threw both into the iThing...
The bugger ain't working...
Upon depressing [select] the bitten apple appears, followed by the folder-warning, then it shuts off...
When connected to the PC it also starts with the rotten apple, but neither explorer nor iTunes reckon a device...
When resetting it during PC connection it starts a loop with the rotten apple, changing to [syncing do not disconnect], then briefly displays the [sad iPod], ends with the large battery icon, to again restart with the rotten apple until finally hanging with the folder-warning again, etc... during which is also confuses my USB-controller (seizing mouses & keyboard while at it...)

Weird: it now does pretty much the same when swapping back to the old Toshiba HD... like it had taken out the disk-controller during its last breaths...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: iPod CF card adapter mod...

Postby mbrST1100 » 09 Nov 2014, 18:47

OK, transplanted adapter and 32GB CF-card... works superb 8-)
The issue was the replacement battery! (see below)
Restore & Sync with iTunes takes a tat longer due the lower write-speed of the CF, but operating and performance of the player is unaffected and top again.
Not only that the power consumption dropped significantly, it also seems that the reproduced sound has improved noticeably...
Loaded it with 256K (larger files would impact/limit the random shuffle) and it sound astonishingly detailed, good midrange and heights, rich, low bass, excellent channel separation and, in comparison with the other units running with the original hard-drive, almost no distortions... something I hadn't expected though... :shock:
I was really astonished during the first test with my AKG headset and also on the IceLink interface in the car the unit suddenly endeavours to actually playback in stereo... detailed, suddenly you hear the missing background percussion and vocals again... wow! :geek:
Still not as rich as an original audio CD though, but quite bearable now...

I'd used
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delock-Converte ... 3E+CF+Card
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-TS32G ... pact+Flash

Still on the search for a decent replacement battery for the other 20GB iPod Classic 4G still waiting on the desk to be fixed (now 3 pcs 20GB 4G and one 80GB 6G in the stable)
The "new batt" mentioned in the OP only held like 2 charging cycles, now its base voltage is too low to get the unit booting up (during cross-check with a genuine iPod battery the unit will start properly without showing the folder-icon...)

Admittedly is unclasping those iPods a bit tricky (stupid concept...), the plastic tools some vendors include with batteries have a half-life of like 0,2 seconds ;)
But the knife of my old army-cutlery does the job perfectly, thin, rounded tip with no sharp edges, rigid steel... twist the player in the hand, pry the knife into the gap and it pops right open with no scratches or dents...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Gareth R » 09 Nov 2014, 23:10

That's an interesting conversion - what files rates were you running before?
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby mbrST1100 » 10 Nov 2014, 00:32

With the early iTunes versions (early/mid '00ies) when I got the first unit, you were only able to rip your purchased(!) audio-CDs at 128K (whilst the files on iTunes store came with 256... pissed me off big time)
Later they'd finally opened that restriction, so I had to "reload" all my CDs in Apple Lossless Format onto the computer (took me a few hours though...), which I then also fed the iPods with... a somewhat improved sound, but not vastly...
Unfortunately does the low CPU capacity of the 4G units show when handling large files (the 80GB 6G seems to have no issues decoding Lossless), due which [random + shuffle] only covered like ~150 of the >540 music tracks on the drive and beyond that the players frequently stopped/skipped tracks, yet even suffered seizures...
So I had to settle with 256K on them, which seemed OK as background music on the ST or driving the panel to an assignment...

Meanwhile two units suffer HD & battery problems (right at the time Apple announces the Classic/Clickwheel players discontinued, leading to a price explosion on used units... go figure...), so I thought I give the CF-card mod a try...

Some reading at:
http://www.tarkan.info/20080126/tutoria ... flash-ipod
One could also flash the iPods to run under Rockbox to get rid of iTunes:
http://www.tarkan.info/20080702/tutoria ... nd-rockbox
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 22 Nov 2014, 13:28

follow-up:

the modded iPod is now serving for a couple of weeks in my daily job ride, the Vivaro panel van...
(the 20GB 4G Clickwheel iPod is hooked up to the OEM CD33 MP3 stereo with an Ice<Link interface http://www.maxxcount.de/dension-igatewa ... vd100.html)

Flawless, absolutely flawless!
Till now not a single drop-out/glitch in any song/track, nor a stop of playback right in the middle of a song to jump to the next track, nor did the unit seize up, requiring a reset...

With the previous conventional hard-disk the unit frequently stopped playback to continue after 2~3 seconds in some tracks, or stopped to jump to another track, or, far worse, just seized up, mostly while or right after cranking the engine (voltage drop) or after the OFF/ON of playback due use of the Nokia hands free kit connected to the stereo...
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Gareth R » 26 Nov 2014, 10:19

Hmm Rockbox my old iRiver H140 runs on Rockbox as there were some serious limitations with the software on what was otherwise a cutting edge bit of kit when it came out - OggVorbis anyone.

Rockbox interface is still a bit geeky - something akin to using Linux. The Apple user interface is still much better IMHO.
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Return to iTech