Our Cam Corner

IT corner. Computer & gadget related discussions, help desk, etc.

Re: Our Cam Corner

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 18 Jun 2014, 08:59

Since I picked up professional photography in 2005 I've kept my photo archive in Adobe Lightroom. It uses all EXIF data such as date and time, camera settings, etc. and if your camera has GPS it also stores the location (if your camera doesn't, you can add the location manually). I also added keywords (i.e. tags) to all photos so for example all photos I have taken of The Hound over the years are just a mouseclick away.

Lightroom was designed by photographers for photographers. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, but it's not exactly cheap. I found that by ordering from a USA address, it costs half of what I would have paid in Holland. Adobe doesn't care that my email and IP address are in Holland or that my credit card is not from a US bank. That may work for you too.
If you want more information, look here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html
There is a cloud (subscription) version but my advice is to buy the latest stand-alone version (CS5).
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Gareth R » 18 Jun 2014, 09:32

I second Lightroom and the stand alone option - great product and makes work flow a doddle. If you want merge and panorama type stuff then photoshop elements as second program. G
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Labeling Your Photos as You Travel

Postby David W » 24 Jun 2014, 02:53

And what if you have no computer access out on the road? (You just have your camera.)

Canon digital models S1 (or S1 IS) and S2 (S2 IS) offer an "Advanced Playback Function". You can pull up a photo you have taken, or have just taken, press the right button(s), and your voice message is recorded and "attached" to that photo. So you say to your camera, for example, "Bridge over the Thames, looking east" after taking a photo of a British bridge.

Your time is limited on these two models to 60 seconds total of voice labels for all of your photos. So your voice labels and/or your photo count must be limited. But if you keep a daily log of your travels and have the date/time also associated with each photo, I would think you could correctly identify all of your photos when you get home, or get some access to a computer.

(If you have GPS, you could also verbally read in your coordinates.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A copy of the user manual for the two cameras mentioned can be found on these two pages:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/090000131 ... CUG-EN.pdf (See especially page 101 of the manual, which is on page 103 of the pdf file.)
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/090001123 ... CUG-EN.pdf (See especially page 115 of the manual, on page 117 of the pdf file.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Topic: Point of View (POV) Action Cameras
See next post.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 30 Jun 2014, 17:03

This review might be of interest for those considering a POV action video camera:
http://recode.net/2014/06/30/your-summe ... n-cameras/
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 23 Dec 2014, 01:27

We ordered a GOPro Black through one of the Christmas Hamper companies last year and it arrived in todays mail.

But we got the new Hero 4 Silver delivered. The newer cam has a touch screen on the back where previous versions had nothing. The only negative is that for the price one has to pay they could have included a micro SD card so we're unable to use it until we find a genuine card from one of the many e-bay sites.

Now to figure the best place to mount it.

Link to Camera http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/cameras/hero ... aster.html
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby David W » 26 Dec 2014, 23:00

alans1100 wrote:... The only negative is that for the price one has to pay, they could have included a micro SD card, so we're unable to use it until we find a genuine card from one of the many e-bay sites....
I would think the memory card would be the one item that is available locally.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby alans1100 » 27 Dec 2014, 00:29

David W wrote:
alans1100 wrote:... The only negative is that for the price one has to pay, they could have included a micro SD card, so we're unable to use it until we find a genuine card from one of the many e-bay sites....
I would think the memory card would be the one item that is available locally.

There maybe a few SD cards available locally in our newsagent but I doubt if they have the needed class 10 card for the camera. Found a 32GB card in an Aust. e-Bay store so I'll order that next pay.

Not a great issue at the moment as the two supplied sticky mounts aren't really suitable for the cam to mounted on the bike where I'd like to place it. A suction cup mount might suit if I can get one that would mount the camera within reach of the charge cable connected to 12 volt socket on the dash shelf. Having the cam mounted on the helmet is an option I could use when in the city traffic and another option is to have a mount on the trailer with either looking forward or rearwards.

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Critters » 27 Dec 2014, 12:51

Not a great issue at the moment as the two supplied sticky mounts aren't really suitable for the cam to mounted on the bike where I'd like to place it. A suction cup mount might suit if I can get one that would mount the camera within reach of the charge cable connected to 12 volt socket on the dash shelf. Having the cam mounted on the helmet is an option I could use when in the city traffic and another option is to have a mount on the trailer with either looking forward or rearwards.

I used my VIRB on a trip last spring, as a result I have now 8 class 10 micro SD Cards so I can use it for a day then store it until I return to view/use the footage on my return, I sued it mostly on a helmet mount as the mundane footage of the road in front of me while was sometimes stunning, was similar to the last bit and the last bit, I have fitted the VIRB remote to my left handlebar and with a bit of practise was able to look at something and take a picture by pressing the remote.

On my bike I used several sticky mounts but a lot of it is trial and error for the best view/correct angle etc but I also fitted sticky anchor mounts just to have that extra peace of mind to stop my VIRB bouncing down the road.

I do have a RAM mount suction mount but have not used it to any great degree.

I will take a picture and show you the bracket I made for the remote on my bike and post it up using tapatalk(easier).
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby Critters » 27 Dec 2014, 12:57

Brian
Ride safe
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby alans1100 » 27 Dec 2014, 14:03

The remote mount looks ok but the upgraded GoPro Silver 4 doesn't have one; though an optional extra I think.

I found a small triple suction cup mount that should do the trick mounted on the LH mirror housing. For added security a couple of plastic cable ties between the mount and one of the supports for the dash shelf should do.

There's a couple of places I could use sticky mounts on the trailer, rear centre and maybe LH or RH for a forward looking view. The top case offers another rearward view for when I don't have the trailer. Thinking of closer to home sections of road that we go along for shopping trips and mount the cam on the helmet or on front of bike on the way there and mount for the rear view on the way home.

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to iTech