Our Cam Corner

IT corner. Computer & gadget related discussions, help desk, etc.

Our Cam Corner

Postby David W » 15 Feb 2014, 17:28

Not intended to be confused with Our Camcorder, but later, we can discuss those video cameras here.

You can post here if you have questions or answers about cameras, photography. or about posting a photo or a video.

After that, we can move on to what might be labeled videography, including "action video" cameras.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For starters, one of our members is having trouble posting yet another photo of his Pan ST1100:

mbrST1100 wrote:...
(for some reason, the phpBB cannot deal with [portrait]/vertical orientation when embedding/link photos...?!)

That post was on 10 February on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13610&start=10

(You can post your response here, there, or in both places. Thanks.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is his photo too tall in the vertical direction? (I suggested downsizing the photo.)
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Re: Our Cam Corner

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Feb 2014, 00:03

Inline image size is currently set to max 800x800 pixels.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 16 Feb 2014, 00:45

Pieter Huizinga wrote:Inline image size is currently set to max 800x800 pixels.

Is that because of storage issues on the host site?

It can be a pain having to upload the same photo twice to a site like Photobucket. Just as well I have a separate folder just for My-Mc.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 16 Feb 2014, 12:33

alans1100 wrote:Is that because of storage issues on the host site?

I keep it to 800x600 (or vice versa) to reduce data size, thus maintain a reasonable loading time.
(Nothing worse then folks uploading a 'dump-file' of their cam data card with whatever high def the camera provides...)

Further do I mostly use external picture host, to ease the amount of data to be held on this forum server, but those still require to connect and load the content, thus the max size.
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Feb 2014, 13:17

alans1100 wrote:
Pieter Huizinga wrote:Inline image size is currently set to max 800x800 pixels.

Is that because of storage issues on the host site?

Not so much the storage requirement, although that admittedly is growing quite fast.
We simply chose that size because it will fit on most members' screen, even the ones with an old low-res 15" screen.
So they won't fuckup the board's layout, and they load pretty fast even if you have a slower internet connection.

There appear to be several mods written for phpBB that claim to auto-resize uploaded pictures for the not-so-tech-savvy users. But I admit I haven't looked at those yet.

There is an option in phpBB to allow larger pics and only show a thumbnail when they exceed a certain set size. However that has never appealed to us, we like the inline pics better that show immediately and you don't have to go clicking on thumbnails.

My personal take on this: It's a message board, not a photo album. As several members have demonstrated, you can always place downsized piccies here, and link to another website for the original full-size version, e.g. for those folks who would want to download them.

Hope this explanation helps.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Feb 2014, 13:27

To give you an idea: This is the current size of the board.

2014-02-16_13h23_13.png
2014-02-16_13h23_13.png (11.34 KiB) Viewed 12522 times

So, 1.5 GB, which you can multiply by 4, one for the staging board and at least two for current backups.
And that is not counting the size of the board's database.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Archer » 17 Feb 2014, 12:03

Any images can be posted at many sites most of which are free and the links posted here without load issues to the server as long as its not hosted on the site

Flickr http://www.flickr.com

Picasa http://picasa.google.co.uk/

min.us http://minus.com/

smugmug http://www.smugmug.com/

500px.com http://500px.com/

DeviantArt.com http://www.deviantart.com/

Google Plus https://plus.google.com

If you want to post an image of part of your screen or a photo off your drive I found Gyazo the simplest method http://gyazo.com/
Install the app and after opening it just use the cross hairs draw over the section of image/desktop you want to upload.Once its on their servers [opens a new page in your browser] right click the image and select Copy image location from your drop down menu.Paste the address as a link in your post or alternately insert it in the Img brackets using the button above your post

_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

New Topic: Photography Tips for Travelers

Postby David W » 07 Jun 2014, 23:50

For what they are worth, below are some travel tips for photographers from my local (American) camera shop.
Below the dotted line shown is a supplement to those tips: a packing list for you. (By the way, does anyone here want to talk about how to best keep a record of when and where one took ones travel photos?)

Recording Your Road Trip
Road trips are a favorite ... summer pastime - and with good reason. The idea of packing up the [bike] for an impromptu weekend adventure or a two week traipse across the country [like the USA] is appealing and exciting, especially to those with a love of photography. The promise of new and spectacular scenery compels us to grab our gear and get going. Here are few tips to help you capture the magic as you take the trail:

Check Your Gear: Make sure everything is in order before hitting the road. You can use our travel checklist ... [see below the dotted line]. Adding an extra camera card and battery pack is also an excellent idea to make sure your gear is fully functional during the entire trip.

Stock Your [Bike]: Comfort is key when hitting the road so remember to pack water bottles, snacks and a travel journal, along with sunscreen, a blanket or towels and your set of jumper cables.

Look for Landmarks: Photographing popular landmarks in your destination may be a common activity but your viewpoint will make the images unique. Play with perspective, play with poses and have some fun. It's fine to start with a traditional group photo but branch out and get silly - you'll love the end result and so will your Facebook friends!

Keep it Local: If you're a foodie that loves to share dinner photos, make sure you choose a fun and local establishment to add authenticity. The waiters and staff will often gladly pose for photos and even take one or two for you. Local people and eateries make great road travel photography so keep your eyes open for the unfolding of what will surely be that perfect picture.

Picture a Photo Map: When the trip is over, have some fun with your photos by placing them a top of a map of your travels. Select a few of your favorite and superimpose them on top of the map, print it and display it as a reminder of your adventure....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get Your Gear Ready for Summer Adventures
How many times have you grabbed your camera bag for a trip and realized that your battery is dead or that you're missing an important accessory? To get ready for summer, use our simple list to help keep you on task and ready for anything!

•Pack duplicate AA or rechargeable batteries
•Pack removable hard drive and WiFi card reader to offload images for safety
•Pack additional media cards, USB cable and other accessories
•Charge batteries completely before leaving
•Don't forget a lens cleaning kit!
•If possible, try to keep your gear together at all times in a primary camera bag.
By keeping all your items in one location, you'll be better prepared the next time you're ready to hit the road.

(All text in italics above is from my camera shop's web site.) Want details? [Words in brackets like this were added by me.]
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby alans1100 » 08 Jun 2014, 03:12

As for keeping a record of what photo you took:-

In times gone by a small note pad often came in handy. e.g. picture 1...date/time/where .......photo details

Most if not all digital cams have date/time included as part of the file (with perhaps an option to have that visible on the photo)

Today one might use a phone or a small tablet pc and write those details in a Word type app. Sometimes I use a note pad to write where the photo as taken and perhaps the odometer reading of the bike/car as well but most of the time I just take the photo/s and not worry about the details until I transfer the pics to the pc back home or the laptop on longer trips.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby David W » 18 Jun 2014, 02:56

alans1100 wrote:As for keeping a record of what photo you took:-
In times gone by ....

Older cameras without time/date imprinting are not very valuable for traveling, IMO.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Next

Return to iTech