Smartphones...

IT corner. Computer & gadget related discussions, help desk, etc.

Smartphones...

Postby mbrST1100 » 15 Sep 2016, 17:51

Well, some might have noticed already... I got myself one of those things now...
Details: http://www.catphones.com/en-gb/phones/s60-smartphone
Yeah, hat thing... :roll:
With provider discount and my accumulated mobile-points, the price came down to € 379,-... still quite a woodpile, but reasonable...

How I see it? Well, with a smiling and a sad eye at the same time... :cry:
A COMPLETELY different thing, compared to my trusty Communicators, which are way more phone and way more office tool/workplace then the CAT, or any "smartphone" for that matter...
No proper keyboard, no email browser, no facsimile, no easy (onboard!) sync with outlook, no BlackBerry push-mail, no Word, no Excel, no Adobe Acrobat... non of the office tools is avail, hell not even a proper two tab world/travel clock showing me like Vienna and Tokyo at the same time...
Simple things like [Shift] + [->] to mark a text, [Strg] + [c] for copy and [Strg] + [v] for paste... totally simple tasks like receiving the address for an assignment as text-message, or copy a previous event and paste it into the scheduler are simply not possible... back to pen and paper there... :roll:
Yet even entering an event/appointment on the device is close to impossible... better go to a full sized computer, open Google calendar, do it there and hit [sync]... really... :|
Yeah, and this makes you completely exposed to the data-mining there...

Also bye-bye having to charge my phone like once a week or so... Nah! That screen is hungry for energy... seems I won't even get 48hrs out of a fully charged 3800mAh battery there...

Also IT safety is suddenly an issue...
The Symbian OS 7.0 my 9300/9500 Commies are running on were never under any threat, way too exotic and invulnerable to begin with, now with Android™ 6.0 Marshmallow one has to worry about virus filters, firewalls and such stuff...
Thankfully the paid version of the AvastPro license on my computers includes the full Android toolkit there as well...

In this I also had to activate wLan on the DrayTec Vigor (cutesy of Pieter BTW), cause running the huge amount of constant updates that thing wants on a 2/3/4G, is not an option...

Then there other things of course, like http://www.bikersos.com/en using the telemetry of the phone to alarm EMT's in case of a crash (only that their 30 sec countdown is way to short, no way I manage to open the sleeve, pull the glove off, open two front zippers, access the inner pocket, open that zipper, fumble the phone out its leather-case and unlock the screen to stop that time-bomb beeping in such a short time-frame... WTF where they thinking?!)...

Then there is the FLIR (the one thing that attracted me on that critter)

FLIR test.jpg
FLIR test.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 4641 times

Adds a bit of a The Predator feeling there any will come useful at the job (HVAC site engineer) or for tasks like checking downpipe temps when adjusting the idle-mix on motorcycle engines...

Facebook, WhatsApp and such are nice to have, but not absolutely essential... but you're kinda forced to move on with everyone else now, groups like our refrigeration guild master course crew stay in touch through there...

Importing my contacts was a PITA... about 600 entries... still cleaning up the glitches...
Past and future events from Outlook to you phone? Buy a software me friend: http://www.sync2.com/
That was the only way to handle this properly any keep Outlook <> Google Calendar <> da phone synchronized...

And I just ordered some Stylus Touch Pens with 20 spare tips, cause fat-fingering (I do have bing hand...) that touchscreen is really pulling my nerve... :roll:

OTOH: being out the office and in the field now, wrecking 3 Nokia 9500 in the past two years (plus the fact that there no spares avail anymore), clearly shows the need for a rugged, waterproof, mil-spec device, I can drop, lean on, bounce off the walls with, or drive a truck over... 8-)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: Smartphones...

Postby mbrST1100 » 18 Sep 2016, 20:16

Live and learn... :roll:

One has to [migrate] a micro SD-card... aha... :?

But what you know, suddenly the thing gets alive and shuffles as much as possible from 32GB internal memory on the 128GB card... :D
Far more: now I can actually send stuff like audio files, documents, pics, etc... via USB from the PC onto the phone's SDcard... with no rootkit installed! :mrgreen:
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Return to iTech