Carnage from kent, UK

Re: Carnage from kent, UK

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 04 Aug 2014, 11:42

It seems to also matter a lot which oil you use. :mrgreen:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Carnage64 » 04 Aug 2014, 18:18

really? :o ...on every other bike ive had, a good quality massage oil rubbed liberally to the inside of my under pants has worked for me. is this wrong on a Pan European? :roll:
Rust is lighter than carbon Fibre
Carnage64
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Peter Elias
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 1999
Colour: Blue

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 04 Aug 2014, 22:18

We're going to get along fine, Peter! :)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Carnage64 » 15 Aug 2014, 00:36

update...new front and rear braided brake lines and new braided clutch lines have arrived along with new caliper pins and piston seals ....tomorrow ( or later today) will see them applied to the bike.
Carnage64
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 15 Aug 2014, 10:41

Have fun.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby Carnage64 » 17 Aug 2014, 00:08

So...the update....under my recommendation and openly admitting the forum was my source, the dealer today reluctantly ( "been a mechanic for 20yrs im telling you its not the head bearings they are fine" says head mechanic, "humour me" i said ) replaced the head stock bearings in a bid to remove the head shake under deceleration, tapered bearings were ordered and much to our surprise tapered were already fitted but the shells indicated they had been over tightened with tracking being visible. A quick test ride indicated the problem had been solved, no more head shake and a much more confident feel to the bike. So once home by lunchtime I set to work on the new braided lines and caliper seals, started with the front where I found pistons once again seized, pistons removed and galleys cleared of corrosion new seals installed and pistons cleaned and refitted with a smear of red rubber grease, didn't matter which method I tried it took an absolute age to bleed the system, I now have a progressive front brake with lots of feel to it. Onto the rear ...what a pig ....got the old lines off ...eventually and removed the seals from the caliper ...allow me to reword that....I removed what seals were in the caliper....the two ribbed outer seals didn't exist :o no wonder I had excess travel in the pedal....new seal installed ( ALL OFF THEM) pistons cleaned and installed with red rubber grease and yet again a pig of a job getting it to bleed through but got there eventually and after a little test ride I now have an active rear brake. After that I gave up and will attempt the clutch line at a later date.
Carnage64
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Aug 2014, 13:02

Carnage64 wrote:...tapered were already fitted but the shells indicated they had been over tightened with tracking being visible...

That's the issue with those tampered head bearings: no reliable source/number on required torque...
The torque for the OEM ball types won't work, so the folks start to experiment, still totally fixated/mislead that the source of their problem must be the head bearings...

I run with OEM ball bearings since '92, they've never been the source of dec wobble... it always sourced in tire MFG/construct/installation/balance/wear...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Previous

Return to Introduce yourself