Gruß Gott from Austria

Re: Gruß Gott from Austria

Postby mbrST1100 » 26 May 2014, 17:40

David W wrote:Your story reminds me of the way police riders are taught that any familiar road can change drastically from one hour to the next.
So hats off to anyone who can ride unfamiliar roads year after year without an accident.

Most accidents however do happen on the familiar, home-roads though...
Apparently the attention lacks, you get comfy, until one day only a minor thing is off...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby David W » 28 May 2014, 02:30

Ali in Austria wrote: As a foot note, I was really miffed I had trashed perfectly good riding gear, some of it new.

mbrST1100 wrote:Most accidents however do happen on the familiar, home-roads though...
Apparently the attention lacks, you get comfy, until one day only a minor thing is off...

Ali, one final question for you: Do you recall having any thoughts of being a bit "invulnerable" during that last, fateful ride because you were wearing a full set of good riding gear and/or were on familiar roads?

Thanks again for your story.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby Ali in Austria » 28 May 2014, 04:38

David W wrote:
Ali in Austria wrote: As a foot note, I was really miffed I had trashed perfectly good riding gear, some of it new.

mbrST1100 wrote:Most accidents however do happen on the familiar, home-roads though...

Ali, one final question for you: Do you recall having any thoughts of being a bit "invulnerable" during that last, fateful ride because you were wearing a full set of good riding gear and/or were on familiar roads?

Thanks again for your story.

Not at all, I never feel invulnerable on a motorcycle and have been legally riding them on roads since 1976. The first time a friend was killed on a motorcycle hammered home just how vulnerable we motorcyclists are. For me it was in my late teens. Trust me, I have been to enough fatal and serious traffic accidents to know just how vulnerable road users are.

Nearly 30 years of driving powerful vehicles well in excess of normal speed limits on familiar roads in my previous occupation had long since taught me that familiarity can be dangerous.

On this occasion it was a leisurely ride and I was in no rush. Probably if I am being honest, the fact that it was leisurely and I was reminiscing somewhat probably means I had allowed my concentration to fall below 100% and failed to spot the road surface deterioration (poor ons), something I was only aware of after revisiting the scene after I left hospital. I must emphasise this wasn't a high speed incident and probably didn't even look dramatic to those who saw it. My feeling of doing a Superman Impression was in reality no more dramatic than a cyclist going over the handlebars and there was no impact with anything other than the road surface. What probably would have helped was a chest protector but that is something I never wear. I was just unlucky as to how I hit the asphalt. On another day it could easily have been a case of dusting myself down and riding the bike home. The bike was perfectly ridable.
Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: Alistair Mears
Make: Suzuki
Model: DL1000
Year: 2006
Colour: Black

Postby mbrST1100 » 03 Jun 2014, 13:51

Soo... back OT:

as threatened did we stay at Haus Maria for a couple of days ;)
My French Xavier came from Paris and we did some nice touring in the nearby areas.

Great time, great people, great scenery :yes:
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

A Map for Ali in Austria, Anyone?

Postby David W » 05 Jul 2014, 23:20

Ali in Austria wrote:,,, living in The Austrian Alps. ... The Großglockner, Nockalmstraße and unlimited km's of mountain roads are right on my doorstep. Our house is at 1100m (higher than Mt Snowdon) and looks out over a plateau to The Schladminger Tauern (mountain range) with the Dachstein Massive (mountain range) rising to 3000 m from our back garden.
mbrST1100 wrote:... You're located almost directly at my main route......
Gareth R wrote:How far are you from the Eagle's nest?
mbrST1100 wrote:Just roamed your YouTube channel... Wildalpen... my departure/approach path, by now my STs are doing that on auto-pilot ;-)What I'm missing is Dientner Sattel-Hochkönig (B164)...? ...
Ali in Austria wrote:... Just over an hour away. Werfen Castle (Schloss Adler in "Where Eagles Dare") about 35 minutes.
Ali in Austria wrote:... B164 is a great bit of road from B'hofen to Hintertal. It is on our YouTube channel some where....

We can attach maps to our posts here. The only one I see here so far is this one:
http://www.pensionhausmaria.com/images/smallmap.jpg .
So here for starters is my attempt: the road from Bischofshofen, Austria to Hinterthal, Austria. [But my map was later deleted because Ali provided a better map in his post below.] Are they not connected by road B164?
You can find more on our GoogeMaps here: http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13480 beginning with Keith's post of 14 October 2013 and ending on http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic. ... 0&start=10 with a post dated 26 Oct 2013. Or look here for how on 28 Feb 2013, Pieter made a map and marked a particular spot on it: http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic. ... 5&start=10
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby David W » 20 Jul 2014, 21:46

David W wrote:... Ali, one final question for you ...

And that is the usual question we all get asked after any accident:

There was no consumption of alcohol or other substance that might have impaired your riding skills on that fateful day, was there?

(We realize that memory always fades, and so you may have to merely estimate to answer that question.)
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Ali in Austria » 21 Jul 2014, 05:22

No David. I don't drink and drive and have never taken drugs. Boring I know :)
Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby Ali in Austria » 24 Jul 2014, 12:37

Thanks Chaps.

I have added a Google Map of our location in the original post and here it is again for good measure :D

Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Postby David W » 13 Sep 2014, 02:57

Ali, do you serve any biscuits there to guests?
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 13 Sep 2014, 09:18

David W wrote:Ali, do you serve any biscuits there to guests?

You'll find some snacks along with beverages at the "house-bar" ;-)
Further will Ali provide a shuttle-service to/from the multiple food sources in the nearby dwellings 8-)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce yourself