Gruß Gott from Austria

Gruß Gott from Austria

Postby Ali in Austria » 25 Mar 2014, 10:03

Hi Guys and Gals.

Keith pointed me in your direction.

My wife and I are Ex Pats now living in The Austrian Alps.

I have been a legal motorcyclist since 1976 and biking was in my family. My wife and I have toured in Europe on many occasions but were always drawn to Austria. We both had a dream to move to Austria an run a small B&B. My vocational career came to an end and my wife was able to take early retirement so in 2010 we did just that.

It nearly didn't happen though. Just 4 weeks before we were due to emigrate and having just picked up my VStrom from a major service prior to preparing it for shipping, I went for 1 last ride around the area I was born and grew up in. On a very familiar road at a relatively low speed I came to grief on a seriously dodgy road surface. A Bennetts fracture to a thumb was the least of my worries. I had broken 6 ribs, 4 at the front and 2 at the back. A couple had managed to puncture a lung. Imagine being seriously winded and not ever being able to get your breath. Unfortunately after a chest drain was inserted it became infected resulting in a stay in Intensive Care. It only delayed the move a couple of weeks though and here we are now. My only major off in over 38 years, typical.

As a foot note I was really miffed I had trashed perfectly good riding gear, some of it new. The road was a major road just 2 miles from a main Highways Repair Depot and I learned another motorcyclist had suffered a similar fate the day before. I fired off an Email to the Local Authority just before I emigrated. I was not expecting much of a reply, just letting off steam. 3 months later they got back to me stating they had carried out an investigation and wanted to accept full liability. It resulted in a handsome payout which we invested in our Dedicated Biker Garage for our visitors. Unfortunately I have been left with arthritis in the thumb and one lung that doesn't function as it should. A bit of a disadvantage at altitude.

Having been an all year round rider I had to adjust out here. However, I cunningly convinced my wife that a large road going Quad was essential for snow clearing and get my winter fix on that.

We are just coming out of our 4th winter here now and they have all been very different. For 2 winters it was shorts and T Shirts right up to the beginning of December and then the snow came (It is actually very hot for much of the time in the mountains). Winters are generally sunny here but very cold with significant snow. Last year it arrived at the beginning of November although this winter has been relatively mild by our standards. Last week saw temps in the mid 20's and thoughts turned to putting the bikes back on the road. I have seen many out and about, most of whom were clearly touring. But over the weekend we had half a metre of snow dumped on us putting an end to that for the time being.

The Großglockner, Nockalmstraße and unlimited km's of mountain roads are right on my doorstep. Our house is at 1100m (higher than Mt Snowdon) and looks out over a plateau to The Schladminger Tauern (mountain range) with the Dachstein Massive (mountain range) rising to 3000m from our back garden. Not trying to make you jealous but you would see why we moved here ;)

We have a web site and YouTube Channel with many videos of Biking around here. If anyone wants any help or advice when planning a trip out this way, regardless if we are on the itinerary, we are always happy to help. Just drop me a line.

I would write a specific piece about our B&B and the area but don't want to appear I am just here for the advertising. I am looking forward to chatting on the forums and maybe even getting to meet some of you.

I currently have a Suzuki DL1000, Can Am Spyder (imported from the UK) and Can Am XTP800 Quad and the costs of bikes in Austria means I will probably have them for many years to come :D

Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: Alistair Mears
Make: Suzuki
Model: DL1000
Year: 2006
Colour: Black

Re: Gruß Gött from Austria

Postby Keith Legge » 25 Mar 2014, 10:14

:welcome38: Ali :D
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby Andi Archer » 25 Mar 2014, 10:30

Nice story Ali and Im glad you managed to fulfill your dream and are enjoying the countryside.Its surprising how familiar roads seem to catch us out maybe its because we let out guard down.
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby David Monteath » 25 Mar 2014, 10:38

Hi, welcome in. :-)
David Monteath
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Model: ST1100T
Year: 1996

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 25 Mar 2014, 12:46

Welcome to the asylum, Alistair!
I've still got Austria on my biker bucket list so who knows we might meet.

And by all means, feel free to open a topic in the touring forum to advertise your business. We do so much free advertising for others it will be a welcome change to do some advertising for one of us. ;)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 25 Mar 2014, 15:12

Is that an MRA Vario screen on your bike? What do you think of it?
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012

Postby mbrST1100 » 25 Mar 2014, 18:24

Now I'll be dammed... ;) (BTW: could someone please replace that 'ö' with an 'o'...?)

Quite a story indeed...

Decent prices! How dense booked are you usually?
You're located almost directly at my main route... quite likely that we're going to tease you in the near future 8-)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Ali in Austria » 25 Mar 2014, 18:58

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Thanks Pieter, I will take you up on that.

Yes Derek it is an MRA Vario on a Madstad Bracket. On my second Vee and had it on both. The combination of the two eliminates any buffeting for me.

Oops, entschuldigung mbrST1100, so many different keyboards here I hadn't noticed I'd done it. It is very rare we get fully booked in the summer but having said that, most just turn up so it is difficult to say. There is always a cold beer in the chiller or coffee on the go for anyone passing :)
Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: Alistair Mears
Make: Suzuki
Model: DL1000
Year: 2006

Postby mbrST1100 » 25 Mar 2014, 20:16

Ali in Austria wrote:It is very rare we get fully booked in the summer but having said that, most just turn up so it is difficult to say.

Well, I'll store your contact info and call up prior homing in ;)
Coffee and/or a cold Coke for me please 8-) (I don't drink and ride ;) )
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Re: Gruß Gott from Austria

Postby PeterPan » 25 Mar 2014, 20:45

Welcome. Many a mile has been spent in Austria some times just passing through as it's a lot cheaper than that Swiss place next door.

We will meet one day I am sure but sadly possibly not this year.

Sent from my iThingy
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Next

Return to Introduce yourself