Suggestions to increase visitors and membership

Re: Suggestions to increase visitors and membership

Postby Forest 1100 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:49

St Owners has a distinct advantage over this forum though - lots and lots of tech info already compiled and readily at hand. Hard to compete with that, but our tech section IS getting more and more use. On the other hand, St Owners is strongly moderated and not very liberal in attitudes towards opinionated postings, or certain types of images. I prefer the company here.
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby mbrST1100 » 19 Mar 2013, 00:14

Forest 1100 wrote:On the other hand, St Owners is strongly moderated and not very liberal in attitudes towards opinionated postings, or certain types of images.

I'm also on a number of other forums, GPS, HiFi, other MC related... they all keep well within boundaries which I don't have a problem with, plus their highly frequented...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby flookyk1100 » 19 Mar 2013, 09:28

As others have mentioned, 3 months is a very short time to see how a new website is going, especially as it is over the winter time (well it is for most of us ;) ).

I would have thought that the "biking" threads will start building up when thw weather starts improving a bit ( mmm is that months or years? :D ) and members are starting to organise more meets or finding more problems with their bikes (I do hope there is not many of those - I am not wishing that on you).

As for me, a purely bike related site would be too boring and regimented and a too loose site just turns into a free for all and abusive forum (just look at the MCN forum at times), this one, for me, has just about, the right balance. OK the balance will alter from season to season, but overall I would say it is about right.

If it was set up to attract as many members as possible, then look at advertising elsewhere, motorbike clubs, etc, my own feelings are that most of us know each other and have met a lot on here and know what we can "get away with" as far as joking on, leg pulling, etc, once it gets bigger it seems to "spoil" things, as it were. I prefer smaller groups and sites rather than the larger ones much as I prefer small villages and towns to big cities like London (actually I hate the place) ;)

Right I will stop babbling on, hope some got the jist of this. :D
Keith Flook (Bikeless in County Durham)
flookyk1100
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Colour: Invisible Painted

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 19 Mar 2013, 10:44

Thanks Keith. Let me assure you that Keith and I had no other intention than offering a new water hole for the my-mc crowd when times were getting bad there. As I've said above, if this is it, then that's fine with me.

I opened this topic because I got a couple of emails from members who worried that the board would not be viable unless the number of members and posts would rise. This topic is my way of asking your opinions, thoughts and ideas on that.

I will readily admit that Keith and I are somewhat baffled that reportedly a couple of members might hold concerns they don't feel comfortable to voice here (why???), but we honestly wouldn't know what we can do about that. Again, any tips or hints are always welcome.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 19 Mar 2013, 11:40

mbrST1100 wrote:... they all keep well within boundaries which I don't have a problem with, plus their highly frequented...

Personally, I do not believe there is a connection between the former (strict moderating) and the latter (highly frequented).
It would appear to me that it is the content that determines the visit rate.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mbrST1100 » 19 Mar 2013, 12:57

Pieter Huizinga wrote:It would appear to me that it is the content that determines the visit rate.

It also depends on the technology and the recent attitude of the folks/the human race...
Like when Garmin releases a map update the satnav board gets flooded with nobs posting totally irrational '...it doesn't work...' and '...what a crappy MGF, I'll never buy a kit from them again...' complaints, on a topic that's a) self explanatory and b) already mentioned and explained ad nauseam for at least a thousand times in there...
But no one reads a manual or cares to use the search function on the boards (or to read at all...), instead everyone expects to do not more then like 2~3 mouse clicks to get a psychic miracle happening all by itself... (I just did the updates on 4 laptops, absolute simple and flawless process...)

Frankly is my-mc-phoenix the first board I subscribed instantly, without my usual 'read only for a couple of weeks' routine.
Yes, I first spend time (days, weeks) to read forum contents before deciding to sign up and post inquiries or answers myself ;)
But such got out of fashion, these days its so much easier to instantly bark out frustration on an inet forum, instead covering the basics first...

And too often its like the 'my motorcycle won't start!'... OK, what motorcycle do you have?... 'a red one'... :roll:

What I'd also like to see enforced here, is the use of proper, significant thread/post titles...
It would make search and administration so much easier...

And what I'd meant by 'within boundaries' is that on no other forum I frequent, users feel the urge to post 'their two breast friends' like every 12 hours...
Instead they all keep within the theme/dedication of the board title.
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 19 Mar 2013, 16:36

Thanks for your thoughts Martin. Duly noted.

Edit: I emphasized the description of the XXX section in order to make sure that no visitor is taken by surprise.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HairyHeffalump » 27 Mar 2013, 21:13

This forum was setup from the ashes of the old my-mc site; it should be noted as already mentioned that it was primarily a European version of the ST-Owners and therefore not so unwieldy in navigation and monitoring unread posts. It is therefore more UK specific which has to be a selling point to be successful.
The membership here is primarily STxx00 or perhaps other large bike riders. This forum’s demography is therefore mature and probably quite well experienced, thus missing out on some of the new to biking, recruiting and other technical learning curve activities that can influence the success of any forum.
The forum content and its membership therefore should consider that to expand forum use you must recruit : who? ST owners? Everyone, perhaps. What topics to discuss? most technical stuff is already on the well-established USA based ST-Owners but UK based RTEs or other social groups meetings/rides need more contribution in order to sell the site.
Meta data for searches is key. I know that this site is open to any marque but let’s face reality: it is used primarily by ST owners. Perhaps we should accept that and ensure that Pan or STxx00, is always included in the metadata plus any other secondary information necessary for a search.
How much of the site should you make visible for a successful search for information without a login? A successful search may create a return visit and eventually membership if some of the information retained on the forum is valuable enough to keep to the membership only.
3 months is not very long so persevere a while yet before making too much radical change to the format.
One observation I would make is that membership is predominantly male; some of the more sexual content would deter visitors and potential female membership. I would recommend making the NSFW section more for cutting or very non-PC humour rather than sexual content, please.
That's my tuppence worth.
HH.
HairyHeffalump
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: STunning White

Postby Keith Legge » 02 Apr 2013, 10:16

Just googled "ST1100 swingarm" not an uncommon search ;) we came up on page 10 :D its a way down the list but its a start.

Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Previous

Return to Serious suggestions please