Moderation of Threads.

Moderation of Threads.

Postby Paul Lingard » 29 Mar 2013, 15:44

What the hell just happened with MY thread "Your confidential opinions please"
I thought we were not for censoring? Preventative measures as in closing the thread before it flares up is just wrong who are you to say it's going to flare up?
How dare you suppose an outcome? To close a thread before there is a genuine reason to do so seems very undermining and underhand to me. Especially as the only flared comment came from an admin member as far as I could see. Are you hiding something? Are you afraid that something may be said you don't want said? those question will be asked.
Not good policy at all people you should think long and hard about what you have just done. You want honest opinions you tell us all, then when someone gives one you don't agree with you close the thread it's contained in.
You have blatantly gone against everything you say you hold dear "free speech"
I for one am disgusted by this action.
Bad move very bad move.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Re: Moderation of Threads.

Postby mbrST1100 » 29 Mar 2013, 16:36

I too was a bit surprised, but actually did expect such or similar reaction sooner or later...
I'm with Paul in this...
First undermining Paul's honest intentions and efforts, and now slamming the lid on...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 Mar 2013, 16:45

I closed YOUR thread because YOUR thread seemed to me to be completed, since you clearly indicated no result will be forthcoming from your enquete. It has nothing to do with censoring. I am totally prepared to re-open it if you so desire, but not if all we get is ad hominems.

But I'll tell you this. The moderator team are quite fed up with the tone of some comments made lately. Whoever the shoe fits. Your post above is a pretty good example. We have gone out of our way, and are bending over backwards daily, to get and keep the board up and running, and though we never will ask for or expect a thank you, we also don't need a continuing string of snide remarks. I'm sure you appreciate. I think a bit of common courtesy and respect for the folks who spend a shitload of their time on it seems in order. Knowing you I can't believe you would disagree.

I take offence at your insinuations above, Paul. I don't know you using language like this. You must have a bad day. I never would expect you to use such language here. But I still won't censor it.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 Mar 2013, 17:27

mbrST1100 wrote:First undermining Paul's honest intentions and efforts

That characterisation is totally uncalled for, Martin. Please count to ten before hitting the submit button.
Ill doers are ill deemers.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul Lingard » 29 Mar 2013, 19:20

Pieter, What insinuations are you talking about I insinuate nothing. I do not insinuate I tell it as it is. Tell me my posted insinuations, but make sure you read the post correctly and fully before you do. I know there could be a language thing here but there are zero insinuations in my post. As yet I'm not offended because I will ask for clarification first.

It would seem to me that not "All has been said about this little enquete" Comments were being made on that thread directly relating to the subject matter within the thread.
You closed the thread because and I quote you "I'm closing the discussion and locking this topic in order to prevent uncalled-for flare-ups." It had nothing to do with my statement that info was no longer coming forward. When was the last thread locked because as you suggest, it had run it's course ? You have never locked a thread because of that reason. Don't please try use that reason now. You have taken away the opportunity for someone in the future to add to that thread with a comment about the subject.
That is my point here. You against your own much stated doctrine closed that post.
It is absolutely pointless offering to re-open it, do you with any honesty think that anyone will post anything constructive now after this?
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Forest 1100 » 29 Mar 2013, 19:24

Well that little exercise didn't go as well as planned! :roll: :) I, for one, did pass on my thoughts to Paul, basically saying that I was quite happy with the new forum's rules and openness and hoped that any negative comments from politically correct idealists would not change what so far has been a well accepted format.

I'm no mind reader, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that any "concerns" stem from our XXX section. Look folks, it is well noted what is in there on the main topics page and anyone who chooses to take a peek inside should be prepared to accept that which is found there, whether it be frank talk about hot button topics, or pics that are considered adult material. Comments posted there on hot button topics need to be viewed as one person's opinion and opinions can be likened to arseholes - we all have one. So if something offends you, look at it that way and move on. Don't take it personally, because your opinion may be just as repugnant to others also. If seeing naked boobies is more than your moral standards can handle and then you go there for a look anyway and complain, seems to me that describes a hypocrite.

I certainly didn't see anything Pieter said as being an attempt to undermine Paul's initiative, after all, Paul had the blessing of Pieter and Keith before he sent out his original request for submissions. I would rather assume that since Paul received little apparent feedback, that there is nothing going on here that really warrants complaints or concerns, save for the odd comment about that XXX section. Let's all try to get along, shall we?
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby Cammy ST11 » 29 Mar 2013, 19:34

Hi. I was one of the people that did reply to Pauls request. I have no problem with my thoughts being made public, so I will sum up. A big thanks to Pieter and Keith for getting us all back together and the ongoing efforts to upload the old My-Mc files. Things can only get better.
You will never get a site that suits everyone. I could name one ex member that I know will not be back due to the liberal attitude, but on the other hand I used the members list to track down another who will fit in here no problem.
Martin/Keith/Paul (only naming you because you are the main contibutors to both the threads so far) - I am not aware of camps appearing. Everyone has the ability to voice their own opinions on any of the subjects here - all that I would ask is that we all keep a lid on our feelings and not aim low bowlers at each other.
Over moderation is one of the reasons that I do not visit some sites that often - USA based.
However, if this becomes a bun fight with bickering and underhand comments then we will be no better than some of the other forums out there that I would never visit. Just my thoughts on the subject, please feel free to reply but do not personalise things, I gave up fighting in the school playground and do not want my leisure time to become like my work. Thanks.
Today as all days...
Cammy ST11
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Model: ST1100
Colour: Wineberry Red

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 Mar 2013, 20:09

I'm sorry Paul, I do not feel that I have to answer to you. Last time I looked I did not report to you.

I'm not going to debate this any further. I am appalled about the course some of these posts have taken, and I will not be a part of it.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Serious suggestions please