Shameless begging... ;)

Shameless begging... ;)

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 09 Apr 2013, 21:27

Folks, I've finished adding all the contributed STuff to our little library. We are pretty pleased with what we got so far. And we hope you are too. But...

We would greatly appreciate if you'd be kind enough to look in your private archives and see what else you've got that would be a valuable addition to it.
Mail it to me and I'll add it. The address is pieter dot huizinga at exite dot nl. Exite w/o a C.

May your great-grandchildren bathe in champaign. ;)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Re: Shameless begging... ;)

Postby mbrST1100 » 10 Apr 2013, 21:30

Any chance to open those topics, so folks can add experiences, tips, hints or debate over them?
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 10 Apr 2013, 22:14

You know I've been thinking about that, too. Opinions anyone else?
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BURNOUT1 » 10 Apr 2013, 22:44

Adding tips, tricks and general knowledge to the library would be a good thing. However, "debate" will need to be moderated out before putting into the Archives / Library. No need to put endless pages of opinions in an Archive. Very distracting....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
BURNOUT1
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 22 Apr 2013, 10:05

Adam, Martin,

I've been thinking about this for a while. I would prefer to *not* open the archives for follow-up discussions. They are archives of my-mc and should imho remain original.

As for the library, I could easily defend either side:

In order to keep the library free from "clutter", members can always open a new topic if they wish to discuss, or add their hints/thoughts to, an article from the library. We could then put a link to that topic in the library item. This approach has as a benefit that the moderators do not need to moderate - it's all volunteer work after all.

Alternatively, we could open up the library and see if it doesn't run out of hand. I'd like to think that those seasoned members who would be most likely to comment there would not "pollute" the library with discussions that really don't belong in a library. If needed we can always move a discussion to a separate topic outside the library. This would have the benefit that all the info stays in one place but, as per your suggestion, could lead to more moderation being needed. And that doesn't go down very well with some folks here, as our short history shows.

Either way it will likely prove very difficult to reverse the decision to open the library up for discussion. That could likely be taken as an insult by some members - and as you know I would prefer to avoid even the semblance of over-moderating.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Keith Legge » 22 Apr 2013, 12:44

Pieter Huizinga wrote:In order to keep the library free from "clutter", members can always open a new topic if they wish to discuss, or add their hints/thoughts to, an article from the library. We could then put a link to that topic in the library item. This approach has as a benefit that the moderators do not need to moderate - it's all volunteer work after all.

Thats the way to go. IMHO
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby PeterPan » 22 Apr 2013, 17:25

I think that starting a new thread with a link to the library that the new topic refers to is the way to go.

Perhaps with some copy and paste of the main points to save perhaps Having to go to the library every time to get the info that the post refers too.

The worse thing would be a post that just says

"Have a look at this. "

Peter
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Return to Serious suggestions please