Woolwich atrocity

*NSFW*. Skip this section if you are religious, don't like boobs, or are easily offended. The choice is yours!
If you decide to visit this section anyway, please refrain from complaining afterwards. Thank you!

Re: Woolwich atrocity

Postby Forest 1100 » 24 May 2013, 19:02

martin_b wrote:
Forest 1100 wrote:As I said earlier, religions have been made up in the minds of men to control others and it has worked to keep many on the straight and narrow in the hopes of a reward after death. If that makes you a happier and better person, great, but I have not found a need to embrace any mainstream religion to be at peace with what may or may not happen some day down the road, or to be a happy and kind person also.

I will have to somewhat disagree, though, on your point "religions have been made up in the minds of men to control others". Religions, at their essence, are simply attempts to answer the questions that all men have regarding why we are here, how should be behave, and is there anything after all this when we die. Each answers these questions in their own way and remarkably, many answer those questions in much the same way. However, that doesn't mean that those in the "ruling class" of every religion haven't bent their religion to their own agendas and at times committed the worst atrocities that mankind has ever seen. The problem with any organized religion, in my view, is exactly that....it's organized. People are discouraged to think for themselves and are usually ostricized for deviating from the prescribed dogma. I was raised a Roman Catholic but from a very early age, like 3 or 4 when I'd be "taught" by the nuns in the basement of the church while my parents attended mass, I found myself questioning and finding hard to believe the things that I was being told were "true". Finally, while still in high school (Catholic, I might add), I decided that Catholisim (and Christianity and all other organized religions) were too narrow minded, each in their own way, and too full of themselves and too damn sure that their dogma was correct and all others were missing the mark. In my opinion, they all miss the mark.

So, today, I consider myself a "religious" man in that I wonder and marvel at the world and universe around me and I continually ask questions and search for answers. But since we'll never be sure of any of the answers while we're here on this earth, I hope that when I die, all will be revealed. But even then, that's something that one can only hope for. There's no guarantee that we'll finally "find out" when we die. It'd be nice.

What I've found to be truely liberating is eschewing organized religion and all of it's trappings and beliefs and such. All of that is just so much thought and postulation by people in past ages who didn't know any more than us. And usually less. Any religion that says "this will happen" or "this is the way it is" without any demonstrable proof looses all credibility with me.

Whew!

I think you have done a good job of expanding upon, and thus adding more clarity, to my previous thought there Martin. I can totally agree with your perspective on religion.
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby Forest 1100 » 24 May 2013, 19:12

Uncle Phil wrote: May I suggest that If you can't wade through the majority of the Bible, you ought to at least read the Psalms and Proverbs. The poetry aspect of it alone is well worth the read. ;-)

Psalms 23 (I think it is) was one that we had to memorize in school and I still remember some of it to this day - "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me by the still waters . . . or something like that.
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Uncle Phil » 24 May 2013, 20:15

Forest - Not bad a memory there. Probably one of the better known Psalms of David. Ther are 150 Psalms, with Psalm 119 being the longest with 176 verses in it, each section of it corresponding to a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. ;-)
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby Forest 1100 » 24 May 2013, 21:11

Although I have never studied the religion of Buddhism, I think my philosophy of our "situation" here most closely aligns with the tenets of that religion. From my iMac's dictionary - "Buddhism has no creator god and gives a central role to the doctrine of karma."
From there, I extrapolate the possibility that we all experience many lives and the karma we manifest in our mortal lives, be it good or bad, will direct us through many varied life experiences to learn lessons that ultimately improve the soul. I can also tell you that the story of Edgar Cayce's life, and his lifetime of selflessly helping others, was a turning point for me. He was born to a deeply religious Kentucky family, but had a "gift" that helped thousands of people in his lifetime, from which he took no profit. He also espoused the idea of many lives. It just resonated with me as something that made sense.

Going to the Bible, there is even a line somewhere in John that quotes Jesus as saying "in my house there are many mansions". To some that read that, he could have been referring to the many lives that make up the perfect soul.
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 25 May 2013, 22:44

@last_brit: Here's a photo of peace-loving Muslims marching in London to condemn the use of violence in Woolwich.

51a14c6c.jpg
51a14c6c.jpg (141.96 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Uncle Phil » 26 May 2013, 00:20

Pieter - You are so baaaaaaddddd!!! :D
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby Andi Archer » 26 May 2013, 08:51

French soldier stabbed while on patrol near Paris

By Nicolas Bertin

PARIS (Reuters) - A French soldier patrolling a business neighborhood west of Paris was stabbed in the neck and injured on Saturday by a man who fled the scene and is being sought by police, President Francois Hollande said.

The 23-year-old was patrolling in uniform with two other soldiers as part of France's Vigipirate anti-terror surveillance plan when he was approached from behind around 6 p.m. and attacked with a knife or a box-cutter.

A police union spokesman said surveillance footage of the attacker showed him as tall and bearded, aged about 35, possibly of North African origin and wearing a white Arab-style tunic.

Hollande, in the Ethiopian city of Addis Ababa, commented on the stabbing to say police were hunting for the attacker but did not provide any details about his identity or any possible motivation for the attack.

"We still don't know the exact circumstances of the attack or the identity of the attacker, but we are exploring all options," Hollande told journalists.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSB ... 5?irpc=932
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Previous

Return to Politics/Religion/Sex