Nitron Shock Absorber Review.

Review your kit.

Nitron Shock Absorber Review.

Postby Paul Lingard » 02 Mar 2013, 15:38

If you have been following the thread new shock absorber I thought a new heading for ease of finding may help some folks.

OK I ordered and got a Nitron Shock Absorber for the 1100.
I had to make alterations to the top bushing and rear mudguard to get it to fit without fouling. Nothing too major in my opinion, and not a surprise as I had read plenty of other reviews about the shocks fitments not been plug and play.

Anyway it's on the bike and here's an early review of it's on road performance.

First thing that was noticeable was the fact that when I rocked the ST off it's centre stand the difference in sag was obvious. It felt like I was about two inches higher than with the worn original shock. I bounced up and down on the seat and the return was smooth and constant. I rode to the end of the drive and off the pavement edge about a drop of 1 inch it felt harsh in comparison with the old shock. I still felt high up on the bike as I rode down the road a strange feeling.
I had in mind a road I wanted to test it on. It's a road that suffers from subsidence and the old shock struggled to keep up with the undulations, ending up bouncing the back end in a worrying way. I rode through the village over the traffic calming bumps, I couldn't really feel any difference to be honest, but it's slow speed stuff. Got on to the road I wanted to be on and went over the section of unevenness. It's about two hundred meters long. I rode it at about fifty mph. The difference was very apparent. No unwanted bounce, just the movement you would expect. Turned around and took the section again at the same speed no problems. Over it again this time at around seventy mph. Now I could feel the real difference. I know that the old shock at this speed would have made the ride very unpredictable. With the Nitron it was like been in an hovercraft smooth as silk. I rode the section again at a slightly higher speed it got even better, the shock levelled the road surface brilliantly. Now for some cornering. There is a link/bypass road local that I really enjoy riding very little traffic and a good surface, it's got five roundabouts on it. I went into the first roundabout with some caution, I still felt high up on the bike. No drama at all next roundabout quicker the bike handles well none of this squishing squatting back end it feels good. By the time I got home I was feeling comfortable on the bike and I'm really pleased with the results. I'm not saying the difference is like chalk and cheese but it's there for sure. I can't say that the Nitron is better than standard, but if it's even the same and no better the advantage of having a shock that is fully adjustable and serviceable has to be the way to go.
I may have a play with the ride hight at some point but I'm going to give it a while and see if I adapt to the setting it's at now.
I will update this post as I feel the need.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Re: Nitron Shock Absorber Review.

Postby zebedeee » 02 Mar 2013, 19:58

Any rubbing on the Tyre? Are you using Avon Storms?
David Whitley - 2001 ST1100AY - 106000miles
https://sites.google.com/site/wildwesttour2009/
zebedeee

Full name: David Whitley
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 2001
Colour: Wineberry

Postby Paul Lingard » 02 Mar 2013, 21:15

Hi David
Zero rubbing as far as I can tell and I have looked..LOL and yes I'm on Avon Storms II.
I will get a picture for you David. To show the clearance.
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby zebedeee » 02 Mar 2013, 21:28

Mine had good static clearance...from memory i could get a finger between tyre and shock, but there must have been some flex when riding.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
David Whitley - 2001 ST1100AY - 106000miles
https://sites.google.com/site/wildwesttour2009/
zebedeee

Full name: David Whitley
Model: ST1100
Year: 2001
Colour: Wineberry

Postby Paul Lingard » 02 Mar 2013, 22:43

I will give it a good coat of looking at tomorrow David. Carol is feeling much better and has told me to go for a ride tomorrow as a reward for looking after her....what she really means is get out from my hair and let me sit without my slippers on if I want to and stop asking me if I'm warm enough and yes I am drinking enough.....She's had enough of me been nurse I think....LOL
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 03 Mar 2013, 00:53

Paul Lingard wrote:She's had enough of me been nurse I think....LOL

Nothing worse then well-meant, isn't there... ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Paul Lingard » 03 Mar 2013, 21:10

Had a good long ride today. East coast and back all along the back roads there and back. The traffic was very light I rode for one and half hours and saw only two other vehicles that were moving. I pick my routes well..lol. There are some roads that if your in that frame of mind can illegally be ridden faster than the posted speed limit. I know that the original shock will compress fully in some of the dips in the road. Well frame of mind aside I can tell you that the Nitron does no compress so. It still has travel and is far superior at speed than a fully working original. The Nitron is a better shock when pushed, and I'm very happy with it. It took a little bit of getting used to for sure though, it's difficult to explain, it's not so much harder in action yet you can feel it's resistance and you know what it's going to do. I set out today to "test" it and by the time I was on my way home I was fully comfortable on the bike and pleased that I have good brakes as confidence in the bikes action grows.
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby BURNOUT1 » 03 Mar 2013, 22:20

Good write up Paul. Glad you like the shock.

I'm in the middle of collecting parts for the front end of my 1100. After the front is rebuilt, then on to the back of the bike. I found a good deal for a Progessive rear shock and will be replacing mine soon.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
BURNOUT1
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Paul Lingard » 03 Mar 2013, 22:34

Had a good look at the progressive unit looked OK too but no UK supplier for warranty. Plus the chance of getting import tax taking it over my budget. So it wasn't an option.
They seem to get some good write ups on the American sites.
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby BURNOUT1 » 03 Mar 2013, 23:26

I had the 420 series progressive on my '93 and loved it. WAY better than original. The 420 has been upgraded to a 465 series. Progessive claims the 465 to be heavier duty spring and better valving. I'll be ordering the 465 in several weeks, along with everything else. Good luck with yours. I'll be keeping an eye out for your reports and reliability for the nitron.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
BURNOUT1
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Next

Return to Review