Shoei Neotec

Review your kit.

Re: What does a can of worms sound like when it's opened?

Postby Andi Archer » 27 Jan 2013, 22:37

_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby Paul Lingard » 28 Jan 2013, 16:11

First point every helmet I have ever had has appeared noisier with the visor down.
If you must have a flip front David don't overlook the Shark Evoline MK2 or 3 Mk1 had problems and some are available still.
To take away passion is to censor the soul
Paul Lingard
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 28 Jan 2013, 16:42

Paul Lingard wrote:First point every helmet I have ever had has appeared noisier with the visor down.

+1 on that, GPA ISR, Nolan N101/2, even the Shoei Multitec has this syndrom. I think its related to the air flow behind our ST's windscreens, as probably all helmet designers develop their lids for sitting plain in the air drag.
The Neotec supprized me with being generally very silent and having only a minor noise increase when closed; but again, this can be related to my seat height and the installed SECDEM screen and therefore might not apply to everyone's individual specs.

Only a test ride will give results about the helmet abillities, but only a few dealers offering such...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby David Monteath » 01 Feb 2013, 14:24

Thanks very much all.

There is lots to consider, I did have a look at the BMW Schuberths, but every review I read said there were issues with rain getting in.

I'm looking again at some of the others.
David Monteath
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Model: ST1100T
Year: 1996
Colour: Black

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 01 Feb 2013, 15:13

David Monteath wrote:I did have a look at the BMW Schuberths, but every review I read said there were issues with rain getting in.

My System 5 helmet doesn't have that as long as you can keep the visor shut. Problem is that the visor fogs up rather quickly then. The air inflow is insufficient to unfog the visor so you must open it at a small chink - and that's when the inside of the visor gets wet. But at least the fog is gone then.

A point I didn't mention is the BMW BlueTooth rider communication system (WCS2). With that price tag one would be forgiven to expect it to be waterproof. But it isn't. When it got moist inside my helmet after a full day of riding in rain, the system died on me. My dealer told me the circuit board inside the helmet is not protected against moisture. Fortunately it came back to life after a night drying, on the charger. But it might just as well have kicked the bucket.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 01 Feb 2013, 15:29

David Monteath wrote:There is lots to consider

Sure is...
I did have a look at the BMW Schuberths, but every review I read said there were issues with rain getting in.

Dunno about the beemer-lids...
Tried them, shell won't fit my scull and as Pieter reports very narrow space in front of mouth (just as the Schuberth), giving you that asphyxiation feeling within seconds...

My Nolan did like to seep at the visor, fixed that by upgrading it to the improoved seals of the 102 series, but still drew water at the seams between faceshield and hull, right to the neck.
In heavy downpours this drew further down the chest and belly... depending on exposure it could start to accumulate around the private parts... go figure...

Among all the lids I had, the Shoei ones are superior by far, no water breaches, perfectly working vent systems (just don't forget to close the top vent in rain ;-) ), durable materials used, top notch design and manufacture... OK, they costs a shitload of money, but with some care they last many, many years.
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 01 Feb 2013, 17:48

You know Martin, you may have hit a nail on the head there. I *never* close the top vent. Just never think about it. That might be the reason for the moisture inside. Muhahaha. Tnx matey!
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 01 Feb 2013, 19:32

Pieter Huizinga wrote:You know Martin, you may have hit a nail on the head there. I *never* close the top vent. Just never think about it. That might be the reason for the moisture inside. Muhahaha. Tnx matey!

Interestingly enough us bald/bold guys should sense such at the instant andf highly accurate... ;)

I still remember the first rain with my Multitec:
one drop actually managed to hit straight through the hole and hit my scull's skin... baffled me quite good for a moment... then I realized 'Ah! Top-vent, stupid!' <click!> :lol:
Then I keyed the mike to my GF back there (her Raid-II has the same sytem) 'err... is your top vent closed?'... '<click> it is now, thanx!' :D
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby alans1100 » 02 Feb 2013, 02:58

There's HJC who claim to be the number one helmet in the world but until I never heard of them until we got our helmets..lol

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

We bought one each about three years ago and found the visor retaining system could be better otherwise we don't have a problem with them.

Mine came with a removable nose guard (sunlight protection I guess) and 4 vents (two up top, one each side) and removable liner so it can be washed.
Heather never go the nose guard with hers.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 02 Feb 2013, 03:24

alans1100 wrote:There's HJC who claim to be the number one helmet in the world but until I never heard of them until we got our helmets..lol

On the price level HJC is on the definite low class over here... they also appear in the baskets of various food-discounters like Aldi, or Lidl...
Bought a full face for GF's 10 year old son these days (he discovered indoor kart), officially labeled at € 59,-, with the discount of my Louis card we then actually paid € 29,-... :shock:
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Review