SHOEI GT AIR HELMET

Review your kit.

Re: SHOEI GT AIR HELMET

Postby BB08 MCN » 25 Jan 2014, 09:57

I run Caberg and Nolan helmets, Flip, full and open face, in Black, White and Silver, and have used them in temperatures from -12'c to +42'c, and can not find one colour is better than another, all are vented as well, though in winter if you have the vents open on top it gives a headache with the cold air whistling through.
2011 ST1300 A-9: BMW R1200 GS:
Image Image
BB08 MCN
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Robert McNeil
Make: Honda
Model: ST1300-A9
Year: 2011
Colour: Digital Silver

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 27 Jan 2014, 10:02

I wear black (on a black bike) on the basis that if the car drivers can't see you, they can't aim at you.
Of course, headlights are brightly on, so not really 'invisible'.
I change helmets around about every three years I suppose. I don't think I have ever removed a lining to clean it. My Draggin Jeans get cleaned once a year if everyone around me is lucky. My bike gets cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not. Black has its advantages....
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby mbrST1100 » 27 Jan 2014, 13:08

Derek-Dex-French wrote:...if the car drivers can't see you, they can't aim at you.

That thought bears some refreshing logic... :lol:

Helmet/liners get cleaned at least twice a year and/or after long, very hot, as well as after very humid rides (especially in rural areas the spray from the road contains traces of soil and life stock faeces... go figure...)
Cleaning of visor/helmet also depends on the conditions, the ratio of bug-splash and/or roadworks to cross (dust!)...

Also the two piece GoreTex stitches see washing and waterproofing at least twice a year; and its quite a hustle to do... soak in the bathtub over night with special detergents, gentle, 30°C cycle, no spin (again with the tex wash stuff), then hoist the dripping wet stuff on a large hanger (over the bathtub again) to apply the NikWax on every inch of the Cotura outer shell...
And then you've to scrub that tub with Scotchbrite and Cif to get all that slippery NikWax out again... :D
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Previous

Return to Review