ST1300 & ST1100 Pendle Parking Brake

Re: ST1300 & ST1100 Pendle Parking Brake

Postby mbrST1100 » 20 Dec 2014, 10:57

Forest 1100 wrote:...I thought that way for a number of years too, confident in my ability to hold the rear brake and balance on one foot on most occasions...

Imagine stopping at a pay-toll/border-checkpoint on a steep mountain road, or having stopped at the shoulder, rummaging in the tank-bag, seeking sunglasses, etc... whilst your TB suddenly decides to perform some camera/peek around-gymnastics... only one foot on the ground? Risk of capsizing...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby TonyWorrall » 20 Dec 2014, 11:28

alans1100 wrote:
BB08 MCN wrote:Hi Tony, just seen this and your advert on EBay,

Bob.

After having the ST for 8 years I'm still not sure if I need one yet but I found the E-bay site and added to my watch list.

Hi Alan
I understand what you are saying. Most folk have a similar view but when they have started using one they would never be without. I ride most of the time with my little Ayatollah on the back (usually she can,t sit still) and fully loaded with camping gear etc. With the extra weight I feel more secure with both feet on the ground. I also find that resting my right hand at short stops is becoming mandatory, arthritis in the fingers is a real shit.
Rode 1100s for over 150,000 miles but last year swapped it for 1300. As soon as I started to ride it home from the dealers I missed the brake almost immediately. Spent the next 2-3 days developing the 1300 types.
The 1100 one is much easier to fit as the hole that is required for the locking plunger already exists. I also think the 1100 one looks better and more like "original equipment", another goodie is that there is only 1 type. The 1300 works just as well but the design is not quite as aesthetic due to the throttle cables being in the way.
Have a good Christmas (why not treat yourself - you wont be disappointed)
Tony
TonyWorrall
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Tony Worrall
Model: ST1300
Year: 2010
Colour: Candy Glory Red

Postby alans1100 » 20 Dec 2014, 11:52

mbrST1100 wrote:
Forest 1100 wrote:...I thought that way for a number of years too, confident in my ability to hold the rear brake and balance on one foot on most occasions...

Imagine stopping at a pay-toll/border-checkpoint on a steep mountain road, or having stopped at the shoulder, rummaging in the tank-bag, seeking sunglasses, etc... whilst your TB suddenly decides to perform some camera/peek around-gymnastics... only one foot on the ground? Risk of capsizing...

I can imagine what you suggest but I can't see any of that happening in Australia except for the toll roads over in the eastern states and I avoid those. I'm wearing the sun glasses unless it's to dark to use them, I don't have a tank bag (not with a top case and two side cases)- never needed one. Rarely do I stop beside the road without dismounting the bike.....good time to stretch the legs and get the blood flowing.

Forest 1100 wrote:
alans1100 wrote:After having the ST for 8 years I'm still not sure if I need one yet but I found the E-bay site and added to my watch list.

I'm sure you are younger than I Alan and I thought that way for a number of years too, confident in my ability to hold the rear brake and balance on one foot on most occasions, but now I see the wisdom in having it for this 10 years older guy, so I opted to order one. If you keep the ST for a number of years yet, you may want one too by then, but they might be out of production - or likely more expensive. ;)

At 59 I don't have an issue yet. With the combined brakes it doesn't matter if I use hand or foot for the last few feet before stopping, the effect is the same. I can see a possible use for the hand brake when I have the trailer in tow with parking/starts in hilly areas.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby alans1100 » 21 Dec 2014, 07:22

TonyWorrall wrote:Have a good Christmas (why not treat yourself - you wont be disappointed)
Tony

I've added it to next year's to do list, just not sure when but end of January looks good at the moment
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby TonyWorrall » 21 Dec 2014, 11:35

I look forward to hearing from you in the future