Future of my-mc

Board information, rules, news, and "How does this board..." topics.

Re: Future of my-mc

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 May 2017, 18:26

Tnx guys but it's not about money. I just think a BBS like this is no longer relevant in this age of social media. And you are illustrating that yourself by having the conversations you used to have here on fb now. No reproach but it leads me to the aforementioned conclusion.

It would appear that my-mc has run its course, as my fellow administrator put it.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Uncle Phil » 29 May 2017, 19:59

Pieter - Well, thanks for all that you have done with this board. I do appreciate the efforts as it has kept me connected to my friends like you on the other side of the pond. But as we say out in the country, if the horse is dead, then you might as well get off.
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby PeterPan » 30 May 2017, 08:41

I always have a look in every few days but don't say much unless I have some helpful info to add

It would be a shame to see the site disappear if for no other reason but for the Archives

Peter
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 31 May 2017, 16:59

I agree. It would be a shame to see the archives get archived, wouldn't it. Although, frankly, the board statistics don't show a whole lot of archives visitors either.

But since, on the one hand I can relate to the feelings of melancholy of the old members of my-mc (after all, this is 'a sort of re-incarnation of my-mc'), and on the other hand I've spent a a whole fucking lot of my time converting and importing them archives, I've decided to leave the site online for your perusal.

But I have other fish to fry and I know Keith has too. We haven't heard from The Hound or Zebedeee in months, so I have no idea how they feel about this. Anyway, I'm going to put my efforts on the low burner. So forget about upgrades and/or bug fixes. It's alive, it works, and until it gets hacked or otherwise destroyed, you're all welcome to use it. The decision whether to have your discussions here or elsewhere (read: on fb) is totally up to you, and I promise this is the last time I will nag about it.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pan Rider Jack » 02 Jun 2017, 21:44

Pieter Huizinga wrote:... I've decided to leave the site online for your perusal.....

Although quiet I hope it stays about for a long time if for nothing else but the archives, promise to post some rubbish now and then just to wake up the masses, well missing may be a better word to use :)
Ride safe Ride free
Jack
Pan Rider Jack
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Jack Milton
Model: ST1100 x 2
Year: 92 & 96
Colour: Green & White

Postby WJBertrand » 03 Jun 2017, 05:45

I don't post often but I do check a couple times a day. Appreciate the work to support this forum Pieter. If you decide to shut down, I wonder if the archives could be continued on another ST forum? I guess it was inevitable as Honda has abandoned the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Jeff-
STOC 025
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby John OoSTerhuis » 04 Jun 2017, 05:45

Like my friend, Jeff, I check in every day a couple of times. I enjoy the flavor of the non-US/North American ST community posting. Meets, "ride outs," travel reports, banter, etc. Guess I should contribute some myself, sorry.

I don't do Facebook. I don't plan on being assimilated by that cyber Borg anytime soon, either. Not gonna get sucked down that rabbit hole. Like I tell my kids, "Don't assume because you put something on your FB page that I should already know about. If you think it important enough to share with me and Sally, then just CALL, email or text me directly!"

Anyway, thanks to all the posters here, and especially to Pieter for keeping the continuation of Steiner's creation together.

BeST, John
John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
1991 Honda ST1100 in Sparkling Silver Metallic (@190K)
Bettendorf, Iowa
John OoSTerhuis
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: John Oosterhuis
Year: 1991
Colour: Sparkling Silver Met

Postby Forest 1100 » 16 Jul 2017, 23:54

This forum - and previously Steinar's My-mc - was, for a long time, my main go to place for ST related talk and sometimes humorous time wasting. Who can forget our many lessons about "sitting on the bike, on the centre stand, on moonlit nights, feeling for your controls", by the one and only Dave Wooster, who must have been booted out of the library by now for hogging their computer. Or Moff's creative method of fork oil draining, not to mention his camping adventures with David and Molly. The NSFW section also provided something of interest, which hadn't been allowed on Steinar's forum.

I, as Allan Bool relates in another thread, was continually being asked to log in and often I was rejected for too many tries, having forgotten my password. Hence, my visits became fewer and farther between too. Pieter has just fixed this for me again - luckily, I have his email address, so I will return to the fold and hope the talk of shutting down the site can be avoided.

I notice that over the pond on the ST Owner's web site, they continue to draw in new members quite well, sometimes a couple dozen a day. Is it possible that the name chosen here does not reflect very well that we are mostly a ST/Pan1100/1300 site, so searchers go for the other more visible options? Is there any sense to considering a name change, or the addition of ST/Pan into the main name? Could this help?

Anyway, I thank Pieter and Keith for the work that went into building and maintaining this site over the years and I hope that it will survive.

Regards, Forest
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 17 Jul 2017, 08:48

The terms Honda, ST, ST1100 and ST1300 all are in the site's SEO description, but the site does not turn up on Google searches.

My suspicion is that there isn't enough traffic on the site to get a higher ranking in Google. Hence people may not easily find it when searching for one of those terms. Even the ST-riders board doesn't show up on Google until page 6. (ST-owners is #1).

Honestly I don't know what to do about that, I'm no SEO expert, and changing the name of the website, while it could very well throw off existing visitors, isn't very likely to improve the ranking. More traffic would, but that isn't likely to happen either.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Phil » 17 Jul 2017, 11:44

Pieter - SEO optimization is a little bit of logic and a little bit of 'magic'. Google changes the 'rules' whenever they think the 'optimizing' companies have figured it out. It has to do with traffic, fresh content, crosslinks, videos, age of site, length until renewal of domain, etc. Not much with embedded tags as it was in the old days.
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

PreviousNext