New traffic signs in Holland

Europe minus Britain.

New traffic signs in Holland

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 30 Sep 2014, 10:47

As of January 1st, 2015, 14 new signs will be introduced in Holland. The purpose is to get more consistency in situations where currently you'd almost have to stop to study the existing signs. However, it beats me why this could not be arranged in Brussels and cover the whole EU. It comes across as a solo action of the Dutch government and as a solution still looking for a problem.
Anyway, here they are for your information. English translation follows below.

F11: Mandatory (passing) lane for vehicles doing < 25 km/h.
F13: Mandatory bus only lane.
F15: Mandatory tram only lane.
F17: Bus and tram only lane.
F19: Mandatory truck and bus only lane.
F21: Mandatory truck only lane.
L20 and L21: passing haven (on single track roads).

To add to the potential confusion, the "end" signs should be read as "end of mandatory obligation" e.g. F22 = End of mandatory truck lane, i.e. not as forbidden for trucks. In other words, other vehicles can now use this lane too, and trucks are no longer obliged to use only this lane.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Re: New traffic signs in Holland

Postby mbrST1100 » 30 Sep 2014, 15:36

Pieter Huizinga wrote:...it beats me why this could not be arranged in Brussels and cover the whole EU...

Some bureaucrats/pencil-necks/departments have to justify their existence...
Maybe one got bribed by the representative of a traffic sign MFG... ;) (a prankster who thinks evil there Image )

L20 and L21: passing haven (on single track roads).

Not logical and rather counter-productive to "invent" new signs there...

Should simply use the international ones like:

(priority over oncoming traffic)

and

(yield/stop for oncoming traffic)

The logical reaction of "who goes where" is given/forced anyway by the road layout present...

And thinking of Scotland we know well that such also works with way simpler signings...
The blunt [Passing Place] says it all, doesn't it?
(yeah, except for those boneheaded German tourists in their Mercs on the Applecross... they need too stare into the business-end of a 120mm tank gun to "get it"... :roll: )
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Keith Legge » 30 Sep 2014, 16:21

Universal signage. :D

:mickey:
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby mbrST1100 » 30 Sep 2014, 16:39

Keith Legge wrote:Universal signage. :D

Yep... cannot repeat the expressions of my pillion here, while we'd to literally lean against the rock-face over that moron, as its NSFWP... :nuts:

Don't know what's so hard to grasp on the concept of a passing place; there is a bay giving me space, so I pull in to give way for the oncoming vehicle... the sign saying [Passing Place] is only a gymnic topping that...
Dunno why its always them darn Klingons who give one trouble and grief out there... :evil:

And I'm already looking forward what "stunts" they'll pull when faced with those new, whilst totally self-explanatory Dutch signs, probably cause their not complying with the "Teutonic-norm"... :roll:
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby alans1100 » 30 Sep 2014, 17:11

We have a similar idea in regards to the L20 sign but it says "slow vehicle turn out". Usually never used by local drivers though. To afraid if they pull off the road they won't get back on.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Return to Continental Europe