New Jersey to Edelweiss Tour August - September

Europe minus Britain.

New Jersey to Edelweiss Tour August - September

Postby Tom Wright » 16 Jul 2014, 13:20

Greetings. Mary and I have postponed an Alps motorcycle tour for 4 years and have finally booked one with Edelweiss August 31 -Sept 06.
We have our airline tickets, international drivers licenses, a 2014 R1200 GS reserved, have pre-packed our riding gear to make certain it meets airline criteria, and added 3 days on each end of the official tour to explore more of the area.

The tour itself : http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont/de ... -alps.html
centers in Seefeld with daily rides into Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria. Mary has a cousin living in northern Italy who we will most likely visit for a day.

We are looking for advice and suggestions for where to spend our free days. We have considered Venice and Vienna but are open to suggestions. We chose to do a guided tour for our first trip and expect to return in the future on a self organized tour. We (Mary's choice) may rent a car for the free days to travel wherever it is we decide to tour.

Advice and suggestions are welcomed on everything from how to pack to suggestions on places to see.

Thanks in advance.
Tom Wright
2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure, 2014 Honda Grom MSX 125, 1986 Yamaha Riva 125
Tom Wright
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Re: New Jersey to Edelweiss Tour August - September

Postby zebedeee » 16 Jul 2014, 13:54

Very quick reply Tom, as I will have a look on the map later.

Guess you might be doing some of these, but here goes.

Grossgockner toll road is a must do - Austria
Stelvio - Italy
Trio of Passes (done as a loop) started and finished in Andermatt- Susten, Grimsel, Furka - Switzerland
Trio of passes between, roughly, Davos AND St Moritz, Fluela, Albula, Julia - Switzerland

IF NOTHING ELSE BUY THIS BOOK - Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Beyond- John Hermann
David Whitley - 2001 ST1100AY - 106000miles
https://sites.google.com/site/wildwesttour2009/
zebedeee

Full name: David Whitley
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 2001
Colour: Wineberry

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 16 Jul 2014, 14:20

That seems like a wonderful vacation Tom. I'm kind of green right now. ;)

My 2c: Venice is nice but imho an overrated tourist trap. The back streets are still left sort of original. You may therefore want to drift off of the beaten path. Watch out for pickpockets, they're away with your wallet before you can say New Jersey. Remember, what you're not carrying cannot be stolen.

Vienna is a very pretty city but also very expensive.
I don't know how far Mary and you are prepared to travel from Austria but you may wish to consider Prague. Again imho, probably prettier than Vienna.

I'll refrain from travel advice on Italy since you've got family there who should know much better. Keep in the back of your mind that Monaco, France (Cote d'Azur), and Suisse (Italian speaking part - Ascona area) all are quite close to Northern Italy.

Here's wishing Mary and you a great trip.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Uncle Phil » 16 Jul 2014, 15:06

Tom - If you haven't already, you might want sign up for the TSA PRECHECK program. It sure saves a lot of hassles when boarding planes on this side of the pond - unless you just like pulling your shoes off and standing in long lines. ;-) When I went to New Zealand, I used my tank bag as my helmet carrier and carry-on, plus stuffed a bunch of stuff in it also. And since I carry a netbook (which is small), I bought a very large laptop case and stuffed it full along with the netbook. They both qualified as my carryons (allowed two) and they never weighed them (they were dimensionally correct). With TSA PRECHECK, they don't open them up (they do scan them), so it gave me a little more room for stuff. Hope you have a great trip - nothing like the Alps!
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby Tom Wright » 16 Jul 2014, 19:37

I think I may have signed up for the TSA Pre check. I'll have to double check that. I bought a couple padded helmet bags. We intend to carry our helmets on along with a small backpack with all the electronics and gadgets I can't seem to ride without.

We try to avoid typical tourist stuff but also would like to see some of the places that are, well foreign to us. 8-)

I'm still searching for the best internet connection for our stay. I'm tied to my iPad and iPhone like a addict. I justify that by saying I need to be in touch with my rider training school business. I've read it is good to buy a SIM card upon arrival. I'm still looking at those options.

We are guessing that late August early September will see cooler weather at the elevations we will be riding so planning on layers of riding gear.

5 DAY RIDING ROUTE

DAY 1 Arrival in Innsbruck / Seefeld
DAY 2
Loop to King Ludwig’s Castles
DAY 3
Loop to Kühtai
DAY 4 Loop to Passo di Stelvio or Müstair
DAY 5 Loop to Timmelsjoch
DAY 6 Loop to Ziller Valley
DAY 7
Departure from Innsbruck / Seefeld

I appreciate all the advice helping us plan for this trip.
Tom Wright
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 16 Jul 2014, 19:50

phew... 2200,- is quite expensive... :shock:

I agree with zebedeee on the tour/pass suggestions, but if one is a first timer in them Alps the offered destinations might already be exiting, and depending on riding experience also exhausting enough (they do indicate 6~8 hours of riding per day, in heavy terrain...)

2x 3 days isn't a lot, so Prague or Venice might be a bit far off (keep in mind that you'll easily spend one day driving there as well as one day back... rush through Venice in one day only to have it [checked] on a list?!...)
If you think Vienna is expensive, go to Salzburg to really feel a dent in your valet after having a small snack and a beverage...
From a cultural/architectural POV Salzburg is nice (if one is into that), Mirabell Palace, Hellbrunn Palace, the medieval city centre, etc... to me as native it does leave the after-taste of having been mutilated into a "Disney Land"... :roll:
Other suggestions: Hohenwerfen Fortress (medieval weapons depot, bird of prey show) and the Dachstein Ice Caves just nearby.
One can go hiking in the woods and mountains, take a cable car up to some glaciers and summits, etc...

Dunno what you guys are into, you might also spend the days fighting jet-leg (or recovering from the motorcycle rides) by baking in the sun on the banks of one of our beautiful lakes...
It ain't a race, its a vacation, supposed to provide some R&R...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Uncle Phil » 16 Jul 2014, 22:59

One thing I try to do when I head that way is to sleep on the plane (as much as possible), then stay awake the first day I land until the 'local' bed time. No naps or anything close so that when you pillow your head for the night, you really sleep. This seems to get my bodyclock in sync with local time the next day.
97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +102,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +65,000
http://www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Phillip Derryberry
Year: 97-97-02
Colour: Red-Red-Wineberry

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Jul 2014, 20:17

Uncle Phil wrote:One thing I try to do when I head that way is to sleep on the plane (as much as possible), then stay awake the first day I land until the 'local' bed time.

Tried that (unsuccessful) during several business trips to Japan and Thailand (going west to east...)
- in just any moment I would finally doze off, either the flight crew goes PA, or the attendants rattle some trolleys by, some toddler (beats me why parents torture infants with long distance...) screams off like a fire alarm, my legs/veins start to hurt, we hit a massive turbulence, etc... no way I get any shut-eye time, I suffer in agony in those air-coaches... I'd require getting anaesthetised...
- when finally at the destination (mind things like the additional +4 hours transfer with the Shinkasen from Narita to Fuji...) I desperately tried to stay awake... but I arrive at the hotel and just get unconscious in the room... literally... and after like +12 hrs sleep, I still feel totally numb for another 24 hours...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Tom Wright » 17 Jul 2014, 20:50

We have an overnight flight so that should help. I always travel with headphones and earplugs. We're planning on staying local to Innsbruck and Seefeld the first couple of days so when the riding starts I should be adjusted to the time change and riding well.

I bought a new camera for the trip. It's a newly released Sony RX100M3. Now I need to learn it's nuances and functions. I'm also bringing my GoPro3. Gadgets.

The comments here have us looking a little more realistically about the distances we should plan to travel on the non tour days. We will probably look to avoid cities. I'm not a fan of crowded areas so spending a full day drive or ride to a large city is not so appealing. We would like to see cathedrals etc. Remember, if something is 200 years old we put a plaque on it here in the US. We were fascinated with some of towns and buildings we saw when we were in England.

Please keep the information coming. We appreciate the experience here.
Tom Wright
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Jul 2014, 21:24

You'll find medieval chapels (and inhabited houses) in just every small village around here ;-)
It probably ain't so much the distances, but the more dense traffic, different driving styles, etc... 500km/300miles over here are way not as relaxed as on US free-ways... Seefeld to Vienna are >5 hours driving... fast route, one way, lunch and fuel stops not included... seems that Salzburg is more within range then (~2 hours),
If you plant to drive into cities, see to load appropriate maps unto your GPS and use in in your car... yes, it will drag you over the main routes, but still better then getting lost in the one-way mazes them cities provide...
They didn't build them for/around cars back then, they grew naturally around ancient grazing and cart paths, winding along creeks and river banks ;)

If you're really into big cathedrals, you'll need to go into larger cities though, most have several of them...
And unlike the UK, our abbeys haven't been burned down ;)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Next

Return to Continental Europe