DVLA Confused Over Bike Tax Changes

Stubbornly resisting to be part of Europe.

DVLA Confused Over Bike Tax Changes

Postby Keith Legge » 22 Jan 2014, 11:18

If they are confused what chance have we got. :lol:

Getting rid of the 93-year-old vehicle paper tax disk has left the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) searching for a solution to the issue that occurs after a bike is sold and the tax on it remains, which is something that was not considered when the end of the current system was announced.

The move was announced in October last year, but there are still issues that the DVLA are looking to solve. From October this year onwards, vehicles will no longer need to display a paper tax disc as the current platform will be replaced with an electronic system, which will probably be good news for bikes as they are prone to tax disc theft.

Nevertheless, it has become clear that the tax belongs to the owner, not the vehicle itself, so people will be unable to sell a bike if it has tax remaining on it, which is currently possible. If an owner sells a bike, he or she will be eligible for a refund on outstanding tax after the bike is sold to someone else via the DVLA, and it will be possible for the tax to be transferred to another vehicle. However, this creates another problem: if the motorcycle is sold to someone, it is no longer taxed and for this reason it will be illegal to be ridden after the sale and will be considered uninsured until the new owner pays to tax it.

The agency is looking for ways to provide new owners a short period of time to allow the electronic insurance system to register the ownership changes, while the new owner will be able to tax the motorcycle and make it legal.
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Re: DVLA Confused Over Bike Tax Changes

Postby alans1100 » 22 Jan 2014, 11:58

All they need do is change it from the owner to bike. That way when sold it is still registered.

It's how it works over here. On the reverse side of the rego certificate is the transfer papers. If I sold my car/bike tomorrow I would fill out the transfer papers into the new owners name and address. It's in two parts, one for the new owner to give the rego office to put vehicle in their name. One for me to send off to the rego office which says I've sold the vehicle on x date and for $x. Both parts are signed by me and the new owner. We have two weeks to submit the paperwork.

Our Compulsory Third Party (insurance if we hurt some one) is tied up with vehicle registration (at least in South Australia) and is transferred the same as above.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby Keith Legge » 22 Jan 2014, 12:26

Its going to be interesting to see how all this works out, is the tax on the vehicle or the person?

I have 2 bikes and a car at the moment they are split up months apart so I don't have to pay them all at once.

If the tax is on the person it will probably be a one off payment.

What are the rates going to be?

The government are looking at different rates for if you use motorways. :shock:
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 22 Jan 2014, 12:35

Why have a (paper or electronic) tax disc in the first place? They were abolished here after WW2...

Here's how it works in Holland. The license plate is attached to the vehicle (i.e. the vehicle will carry the same license plate until it dies). The owner registers the vehicle's license number to his name. The taxman sends the owner an invoice for the tax due. Easy piecy.
When you sell the vehicle, the license number is transferred to the new owner, the taxman will return the tax paid up front automatically to you, and bill the new owner.

Compliance checks used to be done by photographing license plates from a taxman vehicle. These days, there are so many "safety" cameras, speed cameras and parking meters spying on you registering your license number that they don't need to do that any longer.

(I happen to know that in Belgium, a license plate is personal, i.e. stays with its owner. So you have the same license number(s) registered to you until *you* die. One disadvantage of this approach is that you can't tell the vehicle's age by its license plate).

Obviously, there still are numerous countries (Switzerland comes to mind) using some form of proof of tax payment on the vehicle. Most common seems to be a sticker on the windshield's inside. I wouldn't know how that works with motorcycles there.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby alans1100 » 22 Jan 2014, 13:15

Most states have over here have done away with the registration label (tax disc) for light vehicles (4.5 Tonne or less) since the only people likely to check registration are the police (from any state) and they are able to do that before they pull you over from the plate number. Over here it's a case of the rego dept. catching up with the technology.

Generally in South Australia the plate stays with the vehicle unless it's a personal plate then there's a fee to change the plates over from one vehicle to another.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby Keith Legge » 22 Jan 2014, 13:29

Vehicle registration and road tax are two separate items.

The reg (number plate)stays with the vehicle throughout its life, road tax must be paid on all vehicles every 12 months by the owner when the vehicle is sold the road tax stays with the vehicle its included in your sale price. The road tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle.

Now everything is checked against the registration number the paper disc isn't needed so they want to revamp the whole system.

Like I said they are now looking at different rates for using motorways god knows what they will come up. :roll:
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 22 Jan 2014, 14:30

If the UK government made road tax zero for bikes, then no-one would really care would they? Just saying.....
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby flookyk1100 » 22 Jan 2014, 14:39

Surely the most sensible thing would be to do away with car tax (or whatever they want to call it) altogether.

They already get enough in as it is via the various, multiple taxes on fuel , even if they stick a little extra on that instead.
This was if you use your vehicle then you have to pay it (no evasion) and the more you use it the more you pay due to it using more fuel. (Bearing in mind, mine only gets around 22mpg :shock: )

....... or is that being too sensible an aproach for governments? :roll:
Keith Flook (Bikeless in County Durham)
flookyk1100
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Colour: Invisible Painted

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 22 Jan 2014, 14:44

Way too sensible Keith. What would they do with all those unemployed civil servants and the now-empty offices that would result?
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby Keith Legge » 22 Jan 2014, 15:23

flookyk1100 wrote:
....... or is that being too sensible an aproach for governments? :roll:

:roflmao: You managed to use sensible and Government in the same sentence. :roflmao:
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Britain