CoMM B: Doing Basic Bike Balancing using the Minimal Method

For old times' sake, some educational info for everyone who needs more control over his/her bike.

Postby David W » 30 Sep 2018, 23:23

This is a place for discussing one method or situation for bike Balancing of a moving bike. (So please assume that the bike is moving too fast for any kind of foot dabbing.)

Assume that the bike starts out with the most common type of imbalance: it is leaning more and more toward one of its sides; its lean angle is increasing; it has "leaning motion" at the start, before you do anything about it; its shiny side is moving laterally, relative to its rubber side; and so its shiny side is getting closer and closer to the ground. (All terms in italics were introduced in a nearby thread called The Terminology of Turning and Balancing.)

Describe, if you will, the minimal actions you take to rebalance that bike. (The bike might end up still leaning. It might end up traveling in a curved path. But imagine you are focused on just bringing it into balance, with the minimum of maneuvering.)

-------------------------------------------Red Line, beyond which are only Details------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The referenced, jargon thread is called CoMM B and C: The Terminology of Turning and Balancing. It is on page http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14780 .

A moving bike is in balance if its lean angle is not changing, or if its shiny side is not moving laterally, relative to its rubber side.

A related bike control or CoMM topic deals with how we transition from a straight path into a curved path, in order to go around a curve, in balanced fashion.
This topic will hopefully be of use to some members, when they discuss that topic. (That topic starts on page http://www.my-mc-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14845 .)
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby David W » 02 Oct 2018, 21:12

David W wrote:This is a place for discussing one method or situation for bike Balancing of a moving bike.... Describe, if you will, the minimal actions you take to re-balance that bike.

I will have a go at it, but some of the details might have to wait until later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will call the side of the bike toward which it is leaning the lower side; the other side, the counter side.

1. I pull the lower side hand grip toward me in order to steer the bike a generous amount toward that lower side, and I hold the steering in that position (until Step 4 below).

2. If the bike starts to slow down as a result of that steering action, I roll on the throttle a bit in order to counter that slowing.

3. I wait as these actions counter the bike's leaning motion; until they slow down that leaning motion; and until they bring that leaning motion to a stop.

4. As soon as the leaning motion has stopped, I move the lower side hand grip back away from me just enough to preserve the balance that I have accomplished.

(Thus, I think I am doing the minimum needed to bring the bike into balance.)

-----------------------------------------Red Line, beyond which are only detailed Notes---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 1. Before I steer the bike toward its lower side, I am thinking whether I have enough front tyre traction to do that action without slipping that tyre.

Note 2. If the bike accelerates a bit, that's okay, as long as I do not skid the front tyre in the process. (I never even touch the brakes.)

Note 3. I think three things counter the bike's leaning motion: its front tyre traction; its overall, forward momentum; and my steering of the bike toward its lower side. If the bike is accelerating, while I am "waiting" I also roll off the throttle just enough to make the bike's speed constant.

Note 4. At the moment the bike becomes in balance, it is still leaning toward its lower side and is still steered toward that side. Its speed is more or less constant, and it is traveling, in balanced fashion, in a path that curves off toward the bike's lower side. Its lean angle is not changing.

(Disclaimer: The above is my personal description. It is not intended as a recipe; it is not a recommendation; and it contains no guarantees.)
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Return to CoMM threads