Too fast to be seen?

For old times' sake, some educational info for everyone who needs more control over his/her bike.

Re: Too fast to be seen?

Postby mbrST1100 » 12 Oct 2014, 21:24

Pieter Huizinga wrote:Drive like everyone else on the road is stark raving mad.

Or as a friend of mine once put it: expect that the oncoming is just as insane as you are...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby David W » 13 Oct 2014, 01:06

I edited my second map on page 1.

David was going about 156 km per hour.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby Ali in Austria » 13 Oct 2014, 06:03

Certainly in the UK, hatchlings are there to keep traffic apart. Surrounded by broken white lines, it is lawful to enter these areas if safe to do so. At the approach to a junction they are usually there to protect traffic turning and extreme caution should be used on the approach.

Surrounded by solid white lines, hatchlings are a no, no.

The speed alone that the rider approached that hazard was downright dangerous. Very sad whenever anyone loses their life but this was so unneccessary.
Ali in Austria
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Full name: Alistair Mears
Make: Suzuki
Model: DL1000
Year: 2006
Colour: Black

Postby Critters » 14 Oct 2014, 20:29

Pieter Huizinga wrote:My father used to say: Drive like everyone else on the road is stark raving mad.

Or trying to kill you...
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby alans1100 » 15 Oct 2014, 01:01

Critters wrote:
Pieter Huizinga wrote:My father used to say: Drive like everyone else on the road is stark raving mad.

Or trying to kill you...

A prime example of one's behaviour behind the wheel is watching how they control a simple little shopping trolley in the supermarket and translating that to how they might drive.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 15 Oct 2014, 12:59

alans1100 wrote:A prime example of one's behaviour behind the wheel is watching how they control a simple little shopping trolley in the supermarket and translating that to how they might drive.

Well observed...
Or when they "park" their cart right across the aisle to then totally freak out when you calmly say "ehh, sc'uze me" to get by...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Critters » 15 Oct 2014, 13:16

mbrST1100 wrote:
alans1100 wrote:A prime example of one's behaviour behind the wheel is watching how they control a simple little shopping trolley in the supermarket and translating that to how they might drive.

Well observed...
Or when they "park" their cart right across the aisle to then totally freak out when you calmly say "ehh, sc'uze me" to get by...

I can't believe how close to the edge we all live.... :shock:
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby David W » 18 Oct 2014, 19:36

zebedeee wrote:... a question I saw commented on on another forum....
zebedeee wrote:... On the other forum....
What is the name of this "other forum" if you please?
cammy_moir wrote:... what is referred to as a 'ghost island' bounded by broken lines. ...
As far as I can tell, the car did spend at least a slight bit of time in the ghost island before making its turn. (The video is too truncated for me to be able to tell for sure, just as was the case for the question above of whether or not the car had its winker blinking.)
mbrST1100 wrote:... car drivers only look out for a danger to themselves inside their metal box, thus only paying attention to something like a car or larger... An approaching motorcycle, can be a large, illuminated rig, already slowed down below 6 mph and at a distance of less than 30 feet, is simply not processed by their brains... Intersections are always a "confusing traffic situation"; you've folks ahead, whose actions cannot be predicted... not being seen at all is among that...
It may be that the driver did not see David's bike at all, or "saw" it without it registering, but I think the classical thinking on bike accidents might say instead, "The driver saw the bike headlight way ahead, but could not tell how very fast the bike was approaching. Hence the driver thought he'd have time to complete his turn before the bike/headlight arrived."

That reminds me, David should have had his high beams on (because there was enough ambient light for them to not bother oncoming drivers). Can anyone tell whether he did?
Ali in Austria wrote:Certainly in the UK, hatchlings are there to keep traffic apart.... At the approach to a junction, they are usually there to protect traffic turning, and extreme caution should be used on the approach.
... The speed alone that the rider approached that hazard was downright dangerous....
I can't help but think that David might have been so engrossed with recording his video that the sight of that fatal car
far ahead in the hatchling did not "register" with him. (But the faster one goes, the further ahead one must look.)
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby mbrST1100 » 18 Oct 2014, 22:22

David W wrote:...David should have had his high beams on...

Dunno where you live, but definitely illegal and hazard to other road users here in the real world...
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Headlight not aimed high enough to be seen?

Postby David W » 25 Oct 2014, 20:08

mbrST1100 wrote:
David W wrote:... [the late} David [Holmes] should have had his high beams on...

Don't know where you live, but definitely illegal and hazard to other road users here in the real world....

I live in the USA, was testing the waters with my quoted comment, and welcome any postings as to legality or appropriateness of having high beams on.

High beams on may be illegal, but I do not see them as being a hazard to other road users on a sunny day.
(We are required to have a low-beam headlight on because it supposedly helps us be seen better in daylight. But it was not enough in David Holmes' case.)
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to CoMM threads