CoMM J1: Jargon that is Justifiable Just for use here

For old times' sake, some educational info for everyone who needs more control over his/her bike.

CoMM J1: Jargon that is Justifiable Just for use here

Postby David W » 28 Aug 2014, 15:41

Jargon is seldom welcomed by readers, but it sometimes helps writers.
Here are some suggested abbreviations and proposed terms that may be especially useful to posters in this CoMM Threads forum: CoMM stands for the Control of Most Motorbikes.

We have a outline of topics threads about bike control, and those topics are coded to the letters A through I.

CoMM Codes (can be used in a bike-control or CoMM thread's title to describe the thread's topic):
A is for Accelerating
B is for Balancing
C is for Cornering
D is for Decelerating
E is for Emergency Essentials
F is for Further Fundamentals not Found in the above Five
G is for General approaches to bike control, including mental attitude
H is for Hated Habits, or How we do not control our bike
I is for control topics that Integrate, or combine, two or more of the above topics Into one overall topic. And
J is for Jargon. (I used that one in the title of this thread.)

Some Jargon for the discussion of bike control methods, as found in threads with "CoMM" in their title:

One controls a bike when one gets it to do what one needs and/or wants it to do. (We can elaborate on that brief definition later.)

The CoMM code H can be combined with other CoMM codes. For example, a thread labeled "CoMM HD" might be about a Hated Habit that may surface when one Decelerates. (Codes H and D are combined there.)

The CoMM code I can also be combined with other CoMM codes. For example, a thread labeled "CoMM IBC" might be about counter steering, which is useful in both Balancing and Cornering. (Three codes, I, B and C are combined there.)

Some Jargon especially for the Balancing and Cornering topics:

The Angle of Lean (or AL for short) of ones bike is the (geometric) angle that the bike makes with the vertical. (I know, a picture is lacking for this one.)

Ones bike is balanced if its Angle of Lean (AL) has no immediate tendency to change.

To rock ones bike means to intentionally change its Angle of Lean (AL).

To unbalance a bike is to intentionally put it out of balance so that its Angle of Lean (AL) immediately starts to change.

Cornering is to change the direction in which ones bike is moving.
Usage Examples:
A thread whose title starts out CoMM B is about methods we use for Balancing our motorbikes. (We have done one of those already, on the Fremme parent site ww2.my-mc.)

If ones bike is straight up, then its Angle of Lean is zero. (One might even say it has no Angle of Lean because it it not leaning.)
If ones bike has fallen over and is resting on its side, then its Angle of Lean is nearly a right angle, or one quarter of a full turn.

If a stationary bike is straight up, then it is balanced. If it is traveling in a straight line and is straight up, then it is balanced.
If a bike is traveling around a bend and is straight up, then it is not balanced (because it has an immediate tendency to lean to the outside of that curve).

A thread about controlling the bike's Angle of Lean might be called a CoMM CB thread because such control is useful in both Cornering and Balancing.

Rocking ones bike can be done either to re-balance the bike, or to intentionally unbalance it after it has been balanced.

Unbalancing the bike is occasionally needed in order to intentionally and promptly change its Angle of Lean. (But we will look for alternate terminology so we can avoid the unpopular term unbalance the bike.)

Cornering is often done by first unbalancing the bike and rocking it. The term counter steering will be proposed as one alternate term to replace that term unbalance the bike.
(All of the above "Usage Examples" are merely samples of how words and abbreviations can be used. None of them is an established statement that one should accept without further discussion.)

General Jargon which can optionally be used in the title of any thread in this "CoMM threads" forum:
CoMM - Bike control methods
RT - Riding Technique (especially those methods other than bike control or CoMM)
RS - Rider Safety (especially the type of rider safety that does not stem mainly from proper RT)

And finally, we make the usual disclaimer in this CoMM Threads forum: No one here is responsible in even the slightest way for anyone else's safety, or lack thereof.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Re: CoMM Jargon: What is meant by the term Bike Control?

Postby David W » 13 Jun 2015, 23:28

David W wrote:... One controls a bike when one gets it to do what one needs and/or wants it to do. (We can elaborate on that brief definition later.) ...
Here are two more attempts to explain what the term "bike control" means:

1. Bike control is what trials riders can all do better than most of us. And ...

2. When bike control is done on pavement or tarmac, it refers to the type of skills that are often called "parking lot skills"
or skills that one can practice and learn without ever riding on a public road in traffic. (But they are learned so that they can later be applied in public traffic.)

There is no demand here for a more technical definition of the term bike control. So I will finish my discussion of that term with this one last bit:

Controlling the Angle of Lean (or AL) is of great importance in bike control (whereas it is of zero importance in the control of most any vehicle that is not a bike).

And finally, here once again is the usual disclaimer for everything you see in this CoMM Threads forum: No one here is responsible in even the slightest way for anyone else's safety, or lack thereof.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Re: CoMM J: Jargon that is Justifiable Just for use here

Postby cammy_moir » 24 Jun 2015, 04:50

I am on holiday in the USA at the moment an have checked in to the forum a couple of times. My head is hurting reading this though. David? What is the point of this thread. I have never heard the terms that you use in this topic. I am an advanced trained motorcyclist - as are many members here. I think that you are clouding the waters with your 'patter' here. It is of no use to me.
cammy_moir
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby David Monteath » 24 Jun 2015, 14:10

Wtf is this about, I'm utterly baffled or am I missing some well disguised point?
David Monteath
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Model: ST1100T
Year: 1996
Colour: Black

Postby Critters » 24 Jun 2015, 17:02

I read a few lines and switched off I'm afraid, this is way too deep for everyone, if I have to think about motorcycling to that degree it's time to hang up my spurs. Methinks someone has too much time on their hands, maybe a hobby is needed .....

Brian
Ride safe
Brian

Disclaimer: The above is probably bollox. If it sounds like advice or that I am knowledgeable, that is purely coincidental. Following anything suggested above may be detrimental to you health.
Critters
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Brian Anderson
Model: ST1300
Year: 2003
Colour: Candy Red

Postby Keith Legge » 24 Jun 2015, 17:23

Critters wrote:maybe a hobby is needed ....

Maybe ride one of the many bikes he has?

David Monteath wrote: am I missing some well disguised point?

Nope. :lol:

Though i hope you all realise that we are encouraging him just by posting in this thread. :roll:
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby Forest 1100 » 24 Jun 2015, 21:08

It used to be mildly entertaining when we were out feeling our controls on dark moonlit nights, but now it is just mind numbingly dumb. Surely Dave's analytical skills, for he does seem to be highly obsessed with that skill, could be put to better use solving more pressing world problems? :idea:
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby David W » 25 Jun 2015, 02:51

David W wrote:Jargon is seldom welcomed by readers, but it sometimes helps writers.
Here are some suggested abbreviations and proposed terms that may be especially useful to posters in this forum ...

The jargon that is proposed here consists of suggestions only, for discussion of bike control, and is mainly for the beginning topics of Balancing and Cornering.
Posters are welcome to propose other terminology (but may be asked to define it before we use it extensively).
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Keith Legge » 25 Jun 2015, 07:46

:roflmao: told you.
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby David W » 25 Jun 2015, 17:23

cammy_moir wrote:I am on holiday in the USA at the moment and have checked in to the forum a couple of times.... David, what is the point of this thread? I have never heard the terms that you use in this topic....
Cammy and all,

This "CoMM Threads" forum is, among other things, a place where riders can discuss all the bike control topics listed above under CoMM Codes. Riding a bike is something we all can do. Trying to describe to others what we do when we ride is something most of us have never done, and perhaps have no desire to ever do. But if you want to practice how to describe bike control methods, this forum is the place to give it a go (and expect a little help from ones fellow riders). Or, if you have a question about bike control methods, this is the place to ask it (and to expect that no one will jump on you for doing so using "your own words".)

This thread is to discuss the language tools we need for discussing bike control especially. If you have better terminology than what has been proposed here, you are welcome to propose use of it here. We should try to use established terminology as much as possible. (But there is no guarantee that we have a good, established term for everything we wish to describe. If possible, propose your terms here in this thread, in advance of using it in, for example, a thread that is about Cornering, which this one is not about.)

Everyone, if you have an interest in discussing bike control, which of the following seven topics would you like to start with?

A - Accelerating
B - Balancing
C - Cornering
D - Decelerating
E - Emergency Essentials
F - Further Fundamentals not Found in the above Five
G - General approaches to bike control (including mental attitude)

And if choosing one of those last two, F or G, please explain roughly what your proposed, bike control topic is. Thanks in advance.

cammy_moir wrote:... I think that you are clouding the waters with your 'patter' here. It is of no use to me.

I have revised the above list of proposed terminology in response to your criticism and have added the term counter steering. If the list is still of no use to you, maybe you are not presently trying to discuss bike control methods.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Next

Return to CoMM threads