Backpack - life saver or backbone breaker?

For old times' sake, some educational info for everyone who needs more control over his/her bike.

Re: Backpack - life saver or backbone breaker?

Postby mbrST1100 » 28 May 2013, 15:45

Andi Archer wrote:Well Ed why dont you perform a Mythbusters type test...

IMHO more of a Jack-Ass type stunt... ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Andi Archer » 28 May 2013, 16:14

Pieter Huizinga wrote: Is that good or bad if you involuntarily get off the bike?

Well I suppose it depends if you trying to assault an officer with it once your asked to get off the bike.
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby edwardgoodwin » 28 May 2013, 18:56

Hi,Andy.Not really moved the issue very far forward have you? Thanks for your response anyway.Ed. :(
Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly!
edwardgoodwin
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Model: ST1300-2
Year: 2002
Colour: Tower Silver Grey

Postby David W » 15 Jun 2013, 22:44

Pieter Huizinga wrote:
On a bike without baggage cases, you are likely to ride with a backpack?
Is that good or bad if you involuntarily get off the bike?
Will a backpack provide additional protection? Or will it instead provide additional impact?

It is definitely better to have a backpack with you if you have no other place to stow things, IMO.
mbrST1100 wrote:I'd advise against having any extra weight strapped to your back....

Could it increase your chance of a mishap?
Yes, if it is heavily loaded; such weight is much too high and probably will affect handling in the twisties. Any pack needs to be secured with a waist belt, in addition to shoulder straps. Another potential problem with a heavy back pack: Heaven forbid it, but if your bike runs into a hard object like another vehicle, you are more likely to be thrown forward into the handle pipe, and less likely to be able to jump high enough to fly safely over that handlebar if that happens. (So, as usual, you're limited in what you can take with you on your bike.)
Gareth R wrote:... I would think that it is what's in the back pack that is most important.

If there is a mishap, a hard or sharp object in the bag could hurt you; spare riding apparel there could help protect you. (I've no experience with a "hard" back pack.)
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Postby mbrST1100 » 17 Jun 2013, 20:25

Dave W II wrote:Could it increase your chance of a mishap?

..see hikers, skiers or mountain bikers as example, not strapped on tightly could it shift suddenly... alone the distraction due this... and the additional weight/mass will just increase the impact in a worst case scenario of hitting the deck... I also see especially the lower spine exposed to a higher risk... or when you tumble forward (like while T-boning a car), the thing will come up, literally smashing torso, neck/head/helmet against the object...
Yep occasionally I too carried backpacks on the bike, like the big pack (AKA locker on the back) during military reservists exercise... not to imagine going down with that...
I store even my Eastpack with notebook rather inside in the pannier, instead of having it on my back...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby HairyHeffalump » 28 Jun 2013, 20:57

The thing to remember with a backpack is that if you have a rapid deceleration, probably due to an impact, the backpack will have inertia and will try to keep moving at the original speed through the soft bit in front - you. Then if you have survived the impact of the backpack onto your thoracic or worse cervical spine you may hit the ground back first when flipped over arching your back in a direction it was not intended to bend very far in over the back pack.

No, I will never wear a backpack unless it is a caterpillar protector with no mass, thanks.

HH.
HairyHeffalump
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Model: ST1300
Year: 2009
Colour: STunning White

Previous

Return to CoMM threads