A Thread for General Comments about this CoMM threads Forum

For old times' sake, some educational info for everyone who needs more control over his/her bike.

A Thread for General Comments about this CoMM threads Forum

Postby David W » 24 Aug 2014, 22:38

The proposed topic here is: general CoMMents about this CoMM threads forum.
I give here some of my personal opinions on that proposed topic, and I look forward to reading any you post here, too.

This site is a Phoenix version of the (former) site ww2.My-Mc.com , which we can call the Child site. Created by webmaster Steinar Fremme of Dahl, Norway, that Child site had three forums of relevance here: Safety, Riding the Bike, and Racing the Bike.

Of those three, Steinar's Racing forum was the least used and, IMO, will never be fully reincarnated here. Of those same three, Safety was probably the most popular and is reincarnated here by default, as part of this CoMM Threads forum.

Riding the Bike was present also on on the Parent site wwww.My-Mc.com , which was also created by Mr. Fremme. But Riding the Bike had been little used until someone proposed using it for discussions of riding technique, what we might call How we ride (as opposed to What we ride, or Where we ride), on the Child site. That proposal led to about five threads there on riding technique. One of those threads introduced the term CoMM as a word short for the Control of My Motorcycle.

As Mr. Fremme has elsewhere noted, time passes, and things change. The meaning of the term CoMM has itself changed slightly to become: the Control of Most Motorbikes. CoMM is largely intended as a place where we discuss the techniques we use to control our motorbikes. So CoMM is all about riding technique, but CoMM proper does not cover all of riding technique.

For best results, a thread that is mainly about bike control methods should be labeled CoMM if in it, members are encouraged to respond to it by either: discussing the bike control methods they use, or asking about bike control techniques they might like to learn more about. (As an example, the Child site had a thread dealing with how we Balance and reBalance our bikes. Its title started out: "CoMM B...". Want details on it?)

The primary purpose of threads labeled with the title CoMM is not to educate the lurker on how to ride. For reasons of liability, it is not to instruct anyone at all, not even its own participants! The primary purpose is to "build the content" of this CoMM threads forum in the manner pioneered by the same Mr. Fremme, on his completed Grandparent site which is called something like wwww.ST1100.org .

Riding technique is overall probably the main topic here, with threads labeled CoMM being parts of that overall topic. And Safety is the other main topic here, as mentioned above. Maybe we should take extra care in naming our threads here so that the topic, Safety versus Riding Technique, is clear from the title. We can use code Sa for Safety and RT for Riding Technique. So our primary emphasis here is on Safety-oriented Riding Technique, with only a secondary emphasis on performance-oriented Riding Technique.

Finally, here is a link to our archive of Steinar's main Parent site, wwww.My-Mc.com: viewforum.php?f=47
Thanks for looking.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Re: Thread for General Comments about the CoMM threads Forum

Postby David W » 27 Jun 2015, 21:18

This CoMM Threads forum has a structure to it, and even has some Jargon associated with it. The word

CoMM stands for the Control of Most Motorcycles. And that structure has the following four components:

* This forum's nucleus is bike control techniques, or CoMM. We have an organized outline of CoMM topics.*

* CoMM or bike control methods are part of the broader subject of Riding Technique (RT). Riding Technique is of interest to us general riders who want to avoid having accidents (and is also of interest to racing riders, but we are playing down the sparse, racing audience by focusing here mainly on accident avoidance).

* Accident avoidance is an important part of Rider Safety (RS). There are other parts to RS, and ...

* Fourth and finally, all aspects of Rider Safety are part of this CoMM Threads forum (simply because we have no other forum here intended for them).

If that seems a bit complicated to you potential posters, it might also seem complicated to the occasional, drop-in reader. So please help all readers by considering the use of the following labels in your thread or post title, to help explain what your main topic is:

CoMM - Bike control methods
RT - Riding Technique (especially those methods other than CoMM)
RS - Rider Safety (especially the type of safety that does not stem mainly from proper RT)

The overall purpose of these suggestions is to "build the content" of this CoMM Threads forum into something that is somewhat organized and therefore easy for the reader to navigate around in.
(If it works, much of the credit for it goes to Steinar Fremme of Norway, who encouraged my-mc users to build the content of his forums. And as stated above, your constructive CoMMents for this CoMM Threads forum are welcome in this thread.)

* Our outline of CoMM bike control topics is:

Accelerating
Balancing
Cornering
Decelerating,
Emergency Essentials,
Further Fundamentals not Found in the above Five, and
General approaches to bike control, including mental attitude.
'Tis not its looks, but how it cooks.
And I've found that most liter size Pans, when warmed up, cook well.
David W
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: David W.
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100M/P ST1100AR/S
Year: 1991/1993, 1994/1995
Colour: 2 reds; 2 are black.

Return to CoMM threads