North Wales May 2013

Planning a ride or Ride To Eat, here's the place.
Also, our improvised upcoming events subforum is in here.

Re: North Wales May 2013

Postby Cammy ST11 » 29 Jun 2013, 17:19

Keith. You really need to come to one of the meetings like BritSToc. There are no high speed runs and you never miss the scenery - and if you did we usually pass the same places more than once :roflmao: (esp when they 'forget' the route).
Today as all days...
Cammy ST11
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100
Year: 2000
Colour: Wineberry Red

Postby Forest 1100 » 29 Jun 2013, 23:21

oslin2013 wrote:I do not see the point of traveling at that speed you do not see anything and it can not be good for the pillion if you have one, or your licence if court doing it, sorry if this upsets some folk, but that sort of speed comes under the heading of nutter in my book
Keith

You are not alone Keith. While I do occasionally run up to 100 mph, or slightly over, on straight, empty stretches of road, just to appreciate the locomotive that is my ST1100, bad things can happen way too fast and getting off at that speed would very likely be fatal, no matter how much gear you are wearing. I never do it with the wife on the back.
1996 Pure Pearl Red HONDA ST1100
Forest McCready
Forest 1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100
Year: 1996
Colour: Pure Pearl Red

Postby oslin2014 » 30 Jun 2013, 08:56

Thanks for the Posts Cammy and Forest, Point taken, I suppose we all have a blast from time to time when conditions are good but as I normaly have my wife on the back it is not often and then perhaps on an overtake if I have too,
Yes I would like to come to one of the meetings and meet a few club members, I will have to have a look at whats on and try and fit something in :-)
Keith
oslin2014
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: keith inglis
Model: Pan 1300
Year: 2002
Colour: red

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 30 Jun 2013, 13:12

That would be nice. We need more Keiths! :mrgreen:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Keith Legge » 30 Jun 2013, 13:13

Pieter Huizinga wrote:We need more Keiths! :mrgreen:

I agree :lol:
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby mbrST1100 » 30 Jun 2013, 14:10

oslin2013 wrote:I do not see the point of traveling at that speed you do not see anything and it can not be good for the pillion if you have one, or your licence if court doing it, sorry if this upsets some folk, but that sort of speed comes under the heading of nutter in my book

Well, whatever floats your boat... ;)
I for one like to whack it (within reasonable limits and safety margin applied) on nice winding/twisty roads, for me (and my pillion agrees) this is the essence of motorcycling.
So the occasional 'clank!' of the undercarriage dragging is not uncommon... if conditions, traffic density, etc... do permit of course...

In this things like sightseeing and Kodak-moments do strongly interfere with motorcycling in its essence...
In fact is gazing around while riding one of the major causes for mishaps and accidents, the evil is always and everywhere, being inattentive bears the risk of overlooking the very next gravel spot, diesel spill, farm plant pulling out, or finding yourself caught off guard by that one tight corner that popped out of nowhere... :twisted:
And frankly spoken am I annoyed by inattentive riders quite often here in the Alpine terrain... strolling along they don't observe their rearview mirrors or the traffic around at all, swivel all over the place, cut corners where no need, run wide in turns to end up on the wrong side of the road (head on with me, thank you very much for another braking in anger maneuver you moron...), etc... generally behaving just as bad as those cagers with their cellphones glued to their head... (and if I read the GPS forums correctly is use of GSM/making/accepting calls while riding indeed a 'must to have' these days... :roll: )

If you wanna gaze at the landscape, seek a nice parking spot, stand aside the road and stare into the scenery as long as you like...
But if you wanna ride, then ride and give the task at hand your unobstructed attention...
My 2 cents...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby oslin2014 » 30 Jun 2013, 15:41

Oh Dear MBRST1100,
You seem to be implying I am one of those people you discribe,
well let me put you straight,
I used to race motorcycles and hold a first class award on three circuits in England, I have also taken the IAM and HPC courses for bikes and cars, I have been riding bikes for the best part or 50 years with only two drops many years ago (touch wood)

I am very alert when I am on the road, and if I am in the mood there are not many people who can or wish to keep up with me, even riding a slower tourer compared to sports bikes which I used to ride for years, even being an old git, perhaps ?
but that is not the way I wish to ride with me wife on the back, and of course it depends on the road conditions etc as well, whatever you are riding, and if I wanted to take a photo I would stop and take one, I do not use a helmet cameras.

As you say, what ever floats your boat MBRST1100.
Keith
oslin2014
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: keith inglis
Model: Pan 1300
Year: 2002
Colour: red

Postby mbrST1100 » 30 Jun 2013, 15:53

oslin2013 wrote:You seem to be implying I am one of those people you discribe

Well Keith, but I do seem to have touched some nerve there... :lol:

If you, as you typed 'very alert while on the road', why feel addressed by my observations and note for caution above? ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 30 Jun 2013, 15:54

That is exactly why I prefer to ride alone. No offense to anyone here. But following someone's rear light all day tends to make me yawn.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Colour: Ice blue

Postby mbrST1100 » 30 Jun 2013, 16:08

Pieter Huizinga wrote:...following someone's rear light all day tends to make me yawn.

+1 there Pieter, with the exception of grouping up with folks who's interests, pace and riding style are alike...

Such needs to be well communicated in advance, otherwise frustration and anger will arise within the group, leading to folks barking at each other...
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Rides & RTEs