BMW C1

Any other bike not a Honda Pan European. :)
BMW, Harley-Davidson, Aprilia, Kawasaki, Triumph, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, what have you...

BMW C1

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 29 Aug 2015, 16:34

I'm considering buying one of these motorscooters for my commute from Brussels South to Brussels North.

You can ride it w/o a helmet and in your business clothes. No need to change when you get to the office.
There are lots on the market so it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent one.

Do any of you have experience or advice?
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Re: BMW C1

Postby Gareth R » 29 Aug 2015, 20:14

Have you tried one? - I found them annoying in London. Too slow and didn't appear to be that nimble. You had to wear a helmet in UK.
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby cammy_moir » 29 Aug 2015, 22:16

Never ridden one, but they were sold on their safety. It can roll forward in an impact and the rider is restrained by 2 x seatbelts. Even in a tip over to the side you would not hit the ground. There were plenty of youtube videos at the time of launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqHzjjgN5Q - found this one.
cammy_moir
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 30 Aug 2015, 12:51

Gareth R wrote:Have you tried one? - I found them annoying in London. Too slow and didn't appear to be that nimble. You had to wear a helmet in UK.

Not yet, Gareth, but the manager of my dealership often rides one and he throws it around like a sports bike. Not sure if I could do that - as you know I have a certain affinity to hedges. :mrgreen:
Having seen him doing that, I don't fear that it would be not sufficiently nimble, considering my laid-back riding style. And I like the design, always have. It's certainly not a travel bike but I'd use it to go crosstown Brussels. Which, in rush hour, can take anywhere from 1 hour to 2.5 hours in the car. I could probably cover that in 0.5 hour or so on the scooter.
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gareth R » 31 Aug 2015, 17:07

I'd rather not try to lift one out of a hedge or off a muddy bank ;-) - 185kg and 125cc! But still much better in traffic than ANY car. I look forward to hearing how you get on and how good the weather protection is. Aerostich roadcrafter for you if you do get one...
Gareth R
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby mbrST1100 » 02 Sep 2015, 19:12

Pieter, those "cut in half Smart-cars" appear quite lame at a traffic-light take-off/duel... auto tranny and that (but there is tuning avail...)
As already mentioned, their flat on the ground if tipped over...
And there is no such thing as real weather protection on them, consider your pair of BOSS pants and them Hilfiger loafers ruined by the spray of lorries/trucks/coaches from the sides...

I'd first ride one for a day and see if how you like its handling in the urban jungle...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Karen Hawa » 02 Sep 2015, 20:07

Hi Babe, Might listen to him and take one for a test drive! I hate getting wet in a suit! Bathing suit? That's ok!! xoxox
Karen Hawa
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Karen Hawa
Model: Former cheerleader

Postby Karen Hawa » 02 Sep 2015, 20:08

And btw where did Bacon Butty come from! May I change the pic??
Karen Hawa
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Karen Hawa
Model: Former cheerleader

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 03 Sep 2015, 06:18

Yes, the idea is to rent one to try it out.
Also, I haven't yet succeeded figuring out how to get a license plate, being a Dutchman in Belgium.
But there's no hurry.

---------
Yes honey, you can change your ava in your user control panel. Top left.
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 03 Sep 2015, 11:03

Tried riding one at a bike show a few years ago. Auto-clutch engages/disengages at low revs so you have to be a little careful during low-speed (walking speed) manoeuvres. I found the trick was to throw my knee out sideways to compensate for the loss of drive as the clutch disengaged whilst I was still mid-turn.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Next

Return to Other makes