Triumph Trophy 2014

Any other bike not a Honda Pan European. :)
BMW, Harley-Davidson, Aprilia, Kawasaki, Triumph, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, what have you...

Triumph Trophy 2014

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 18 Jul 2014, 10:08

Rode one as a courtesy bike yesterday and as Angela's bike was at the dealers all day, that meant I had the bike all day too! It was the SE model with various gadgets and toys including gel seat.
courtesy bike.jpg
Triumph Trophy 2014

I have to say that I enjoyed riding the bike. It is very steady at speed on the motorway. I am not saying I cruised along at 100 mph, but I am saying that if you did you would probably find it very stable and comfortable with the screen adjusted up a bit and a nice gel seat to support you. The riding position is fairly 'sit-up-and-beg' which suited me fine.
It has a reasonable turn of speed too, and with a redline of 10k rpm you have a nice rev range to work with when cornering. 5k rpm takes you to just over 90mph anyway so the upper half of the rev range is not actually that important!
Handling seems good and not much different to a Pan. No surprises there. The only slight annoying trait is tendency for the bars to oscillate at around 40 mph to 45 mph (if you take your hands off the bars that is) which my old ST1100 would also sometimes do, but which my current ST1300 doesn't. The Trophy also has a feel of 'tipping-in' very slightly at speeds of around 15 mph when manoeuvring in traffic which I couldn't quite understand. Clearly any steering set-up is a compromise of stability v agility, and I think overall Triumph have got it pretty well right (if they had copied Honda ST1300 rather than BMW 1200RT then they would have got it completely right!).
The fairing speakers are a complete joke, broadcasting your bad taste in music to the rest of the world at lower speeds whilst becoming inaudible to the rider over 60 mph, so this would need sorting to piped music into helmet speakers via an autocom or similar.
I have been left thinking that I would really enjoy owning and riding one. If I wasn't already an owner of my ST1300 then I would definitely buy a Trophy. However I would order a black one which I am told is coming out as a colour option for 2015.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Make: Honda
Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Triumph Trophy 2014

Postby alans1100 » 18 Jul 2014, 11:35

I e-mailed saaz last night and asked him to come on and give his thoughts about his Trophy when he gets a few spare minutes.
OzStoc Member ( http://www.ozstoc.com ) FarRider No. 921

alans1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Full name: Alan
Model: ST1100AX
Year: 1999
Colour: Midi Metallic Blue

Postby Cammy ST11 » 18 Jul 2014, 14:46

Derek, thanks for the write up. I think that a test ride will be on the near horizon, however I will hold off buying anything till next year. Both in terms of the possible colour changes to the Trophy, (they do the ST Sprint in a great metallic red and would love to see that on the Trophy) and hoping that Honda come up with a new alternative. Alan thanks for giving Saaz a shout. A long term owner's view would be most welcome.
Today as all days...
Cammy ST11
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Model: ST1100
Year: 2000
Colour: Wineberry Red

Postby The Hound » 18 Jul 2014, 20:35

At last the Trophy gets shaft drive!
A Hound on a Honda.
The Hound

Full name: Nicholas Reynolds
Model: ST1300P
Year: 2004
Colour: White

Postby saaz_australia » 22 Jul 2014, 10:18

I will get my act together and post something in the next day or so. I have done 27,000kms since late November with more to come shortly. I hope Honda have a Trophy and getting some ideas about their next ST...
John Nagle
2014 Triumph Trophy SE, 1996 Honda ST1100P
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681 and some others
saaz_australia
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Postby WJBertrand » 23 Jul 2014, 00:29

Been hearing some quality issues with this model over here. Batteries draining overnight and horrendous mechanical noise under the valve cover that happened to one person at WeSTOC in Sooke, BC last year. I gave it a listen and it sounded as though someone had left a spanner under the valve cover! I believe he had it towed to the closest dealer. How are they fairing over there, reliability / quality wise?
-Jeff-
STOC 025
Ventura, CA
WJBertrand
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 23 Jul 2014, 09:43

I met someone on tour in Ireland who had his Trophy electrical pack stop which meant he had lost the electronic suspension adjustment and some other doo-dads. However the bike was still running fine.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby saaz_australia » 27 Jul 2014, 06:15

Yes, there have been recalls for the ECU for earlier models (included mine), noisy heads that are being fixed under warranty and electronic glitches here and there. As far as a motorcycle to ride, it sure is good. I am busy changing tyres and doing things for a an upcoming 7000km plus ride so will expand a bit when I get back. As with most things, and what is a complex bike with all the extras, early adopters may have issues

In the meantime, one of the best forums has a section detailing issues, and no one holds back if they think there is an issue. Ken Smith from over the List had one and had no end of problems so got rid of it and bought a CTX 1300. Apart from the ECU replacement I have had zero issues. I have 27,500kms up so far since late November, including a moth or two of not riding due to issues to deal with.

http://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/board,24.0.html
John Nagle
2014 Triumph Trophy SE, 1996 Honda ST1100P
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681 and some others
saaz_australia
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Return to Other makes