ST1300 Lighting

Honda Pan-European 2nd generation (Japanese design)

Re: ST1300 Lighting

Postby WayneMatthews » 21 Sep 2013, 09:35

Derek-Dex-French wrote:BRIGHTER REAR/STOP LIGHTS
The rear lights on the ST1300 are generally reckoned to not be bright enough. One UK Owners Club member Dave R has fitted replacement red LED ones which are usefully brighter and should outlast the bike! Some details at this link for the LED tail/stop light bulb. It is the lower 54-LED red version he has fitted. Note that these bulbs can be fitted the wrong way round into the slot. Fitting involves removing the piece under the rear mudguard (fender) so you can get at the bulb holders:

Very very nice looking lights indeed.. I would love to get similar lights so can you provide some information about price and purhcasing source
WayneMatthews
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Wayne Matthews

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 28 Sep 2013, 16:22

Wayne,

I apologize for taking 7 days to approve your first post. I guess it escaped all moderators' attention. Welcome!

While I have your attention, could you fill out some more details in your profile please. (If you should be here for commercial reasons (going by your email domain name), that's alright with us as long as you make sufficiently clear that you have a personal financial interest. Just saying.)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Keith Legge » 28 Sep 2013, 16:42

Ditto sorry I didn't see it. :oops:
Image ....... Awkward Northerner
Sometimes................Always............Sometimes..................................Always
Keith Legge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Keith Legge
Make: Honda
Model: ST1100W/GL1500l
Year: 1998/1990
Colour: Green/Gold

Postby DerrickHarvey » 29 Sep 2013, 12:58

Derek-Dex-French wrote:BRIGHTER REAR/STOP LIGHTS
The rear lights on the ST1300 are generally reckoned to not be bright enough. One UK Owners Club member Dave R has fitted replacement red LED ones which are usefully brighter and should outlast the bike! Some details at this link for the
led lighting/stop light bulb. It is the lower 54-LED red version he has fitted. Note that these bulbs can be fitted the wrong way round into the slot. Fitting involves removing the piece under the rear mudguard (fender) so you can get at the bulb holders:

LED 7443-230.jpg

Very impressive lights.. How much these lights costs you? Please reply ASAP
DerrickHarvey
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Derrick Harvey
Make: 2000
Model: 2011
Year: 2013
Colour: red

Postby oslin2014 » 29 Sep 2013, 17:39

I have fitted LED's to mine as well :-)
Keith
oslin2014
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: keith inglis
Model: Pan 1300
Year: 2002
Colour: red

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 30 Sep 2013, 09:29

Wayne, Derrick. Look at page one. A link to a UK supplier is there in the first post of this thread.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby steve974 » 13 Feb 2014, 11:04

I've done the LED rear/stop light conversion and am delighted (sorry) with that, so what's next? I thought indicators were a logical step.. anyone done them yet?

I saw a post on one of the US sites re switchback white/amber which would allow the indicators to be used as white running lights when not in operation, but the wiring for this is not fitted to UK bikes :(

So it just leaves me with the LED indicators, I appreciate it'll be four LED bulbs and a suitable flasher unit but would be interested to hear from anyone who's done this already.
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby steve974 » 26 Mar 2014, 15:28

Today the LED indicator bulbs and replacement relay were fitted, I have to add it was a bit of a job with the worst bit being what should have been the simplest...

The front bulbs were fairly simple other than getting the mirror surrounds back on again of course, but the rear ones were dreadful due to their location, difficulty of access and the rubber surrounds sticking fast to the indicator mounts.. what a copper bottomed pig of a job!

Serious advice - if you've never had the rear indicator bulbs out, just allow yourself a good while for the job and then when they're out silicon/PTFE spray the rubbers so that they're easier to remove when you need it...

Now, was it worth it?
From the probability of never having to do it again and a far brighter indicator - absolutely! But it is a different light than standard, I'll take a photo when I can.
From the PITA factor, yeah... especially now it's done!

Have fun :D
Adventure before dementia!
steve974
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Full name: Steve Downes
Year: 2009
Colour: Achilles black

Postby Halesowen Kid » 24 Sep 2014, 08:21

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum & I look forward to many more.... :)

I thank you Derek for bringing my attention to a "Brighter Rear End".... :lol:

Following this thread with interest I ordered a pair of the LED Wedge Bulbs Derek has recommended in post #1.

I fitted the new bulbs, switched on the ignition & yes nice bright lights, BUT... :o ...I noticed that the 21w (Brake light) part of the bulb is constantly on instead of the 5w (Tail light) & of cause no brake light when operated.
Reversed the bulbs in their holders & they should not work, but they do light up as described above. Changed back to the original filament bulbs & they both work as they should do...

I've spoken to three Honda dealers & they can't enlighten me (Excuse the pun) to a solution.... :roll:

Spoken to Autobulbs Direct & they said can't see the bulbs being faulty, but return them & they will replace them with a new pair to try.

My ST1300 is a 2011 year.

Your thoughts please.

Regards,

MIke
Halesowen Kid
Bacon Butty
Bacon Butty

Full name: Michael Whitehouse
Year: 2011
Colour: Silver

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 24 Sep 2014, 11:59

Hmm. There of course could be a short in one by manufacturing accident, but in two is too much coincidence for me.
By what you tell my remote diagnosis would be that the brake light contact of the bulb is touching the rear light contact in the holder. Try not turning the bulb all the way, see if that helps, if so you've nailed the cause. You could then isolated the problem bit with a piece of tape or some such. Conversely if you find that the bulb doesn't turn far enough, there is a misfit between the lamp and the holder in which case I would return both for the manufacturer to sort out.
A simple multimeter should prove very helpful in further diagnosis.

(OT: In Dutch, the holder is called a "fitting". Is that English too?)

Oh yes, Mike, :welcome38:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

PreviousNext

Return to ST1300