Replacing SpeedoMeter

Honda Pan-European 2nd generation (Japanese design)

Replacing SpeedoMeter

Postby Nonkel Luc » 11 Jun 2013, 20:52

Hi there

Does someone has any experiance with replacing the speedometer (current one is in miles and I want to replace it with a km version)

thanks
Luc
May the bike be with you
Greetz Luc
Nonkel Luc
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Re: Replacing SpeedoMeter

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 11 Jun 2013, 22:08

Can't you just replace the dial? (Wijzerplaat)
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Postby Nonkel Luc » 11 Jun 2013, 22:40

Pieter Huizinga wrote:Can't you just replace the dial? (Wijzerplaat)

not sure......anyone?????
May the bike be with you
Greetz Luc
Nonkel Luc
Triple Bacon Butty
Triple Bacon Butty

Postby mbrST1100 » 11 Jun 2013, 23:17

Well, a lot of Tupperware is needed to be removed to recover the instrument cluster from the bike, but generally no big deal, just pop out the instrument cluster, remove the black bezel, remove the glass and have access to the instruments; see to have a clean environment, you don't want to have any dust or fingerprints on the dials or the inside of the glass.
I recommend wearing gloves while working on the guts in there, plus clean and finish the faces and the inside of the glass with Spray Cleaner & Polish before/while reassembly.

When you replace the entire speedometer assy you'll also swap the odometer, means your ST suddenly has a 'new' mileage... dunno if this is an issue for insurance, tax or MOT in your country, IMHO it certainly is trouble when trying to sell the bike (where I live tempering with the odometer is cited as fraud...), it might therefore be considered to rather replace the face only.
Before doing that you'll have to pry the pointer off the axle; best done by placing two espresso spoons or alike underneath its hub, but so that their sit on/are supported by the two bolt heads holding the instrument face so it won't get damaged/deformed during the process.
Once the pointer is removed, just unscrew the two bolts, swap the faces and reassembly in reverse order. Watch the limiter pin when putting the pointer back on, when you move it to like 30kph, it must swing back till it sits on that black pin; if there is a gap, you'll need to remove and reposition that pointer again.
You could also first lift the pointer only that much that it clears the limiter and memorize the position it then swings to, before removing it entirely, in order to have a reference for reassembly. I don't know if an offset on the pointer messes up the calibration of the speedo or not, but I would assume so...

And like I said, before putting the glass back on, carefully wipe all instrument faces with Spray Cleaner & Polish by the use of Q-tips and dust free rags/tissues (some folks use plain silicone spray, but that makes the mat black paint on them faces shiny, bad for reading them in sunlight. The Spray & Polish conserves the mat finish, while giving a spotless surface).
Get really sterile on that, cause any small grain, mote or spot will forever stare out at you there ;)
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: Honda
Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby Andi Archer » 12 Jun 2013, 05:45

You can get stick on guages to display mph or km/h if you dontfancy dissemblingthe thing
_._._____.____.______.___._.Image_______________________
Google+ https://plus.google.com/115641673484623 ... 5733/posts
Andi Archer
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Make: O`nda
Model: ST1100 Super
Year: 1994
Colour: Red is Best

Postby Derek-Dex-French » 12 Jun 2013, 10:17

I had mine done on my old red bike about three years ago. switched from a KPH to an MPH speedo unit. It was done by the Honda dealer as part of my agreement to buy the second-hand bike which had been imported into the UK from Germany by a private individual. In replacing the console unit which houses the speedo, rev counter, temp gauge, etc., I 'lost' about 9000 miles off the bike so it looked like it had done less miles! I reckon about one hour to replace the console by a professional and probably three hours and several beers by an amateur. If you source a replacement speedo unit from a breakers make sure you get an accurate mileage/kilometres reading from the supplier so you know what you are getting. In the case of your bike Luc which is quite well travelled I suspect almost any replacement unit will have a lower kilometres reading.
I love being right. If only it happened more often...
Derek-Dex-French
Bacon Butty Master
Bacon Butty Master

Model: ST1300
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Postby mbrST1100 » 12 Jun 2013, 19:15

Derek-Dex-French wrote:If you source a replacement speedo unit from a breakers...

On a unit from a breaker I would make sure that all mounting tabs are still intact... breakers mostly part crashed bikes, any heavy hit/deformation on the front will smack the 'eyes' off the white tray/base pan...
Keep tires down, ATGATT, STOC# 637 (Sept.'97), PanEuro# 42 (Oct.'97), candy glory red '92 (sold), re-furbed '94 (wicked), strawberry '00 (daily)
mbrST1100
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1100Y
Year: '00, '94
Colour: R151CU

Postby edwardgoodwin » 08 Oct 2014, 23:15

Nonkel Luc wrote:
Pieter Huizinga wrote:Can't you just replace the dial? (Wijzerplaat)

not sure......anyone?????

Hi Nonkel,If your still looking I have a kph dial going spare & instructions to fit.Ed.
Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly!
edwardgoodwin
Double Bacon Butty
Double Bacon Butty

Model: ST1300-2
Year: 2002
Colour: Tower Silver Grey

Postby PeterPan » 08 Oct 2014, 23:30

Lucs away at the mo. Give him a shout in a week.

Sent by Peter from His IThingy.
PeterPan
Bacon Butty Legend
Bacon Butty Legend

Model: ST1300A9
Year: 2010
Colour: Red

Postby Pieter Huizinga » 08 Oct 2014, 23:31

Nonkel is in India, having a blast with holy cows and all that jazz. May be some time before he sees this. :mrgreen:
Image Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. (Don't forget to vote! Not that it matters...)
Pieter Huizinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full name: Pieter J. Huizinga
Make: BMW
Model: R1200 Cruiser
Year: 2000
Colour: Ice blue

Next

Return to ST1300